Indian Summer in Indian Heaven 10.16-10.17.2011

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
romann

Indian Summer in Indian Heaven 10.16-10.17.2011

Post by romann » October 19th, 2011, 2:21 pm

With this gorgeous weather I just had to go somewhere. Since Hood and Adams were already snowed in, and I didn't feel ready for the winter, Indian Heaven looked like an ideal choice. I set out Sunday at noon with a plan to camp at Wapiki Lake for two nights, go to Lemei Rock and surrounding lakelets on day one and do a big loop in central Indian Heaven on day two.

The BIG mistake I did was not taking a stove (the weather was dry after all), and campfire would just not burn - the wood was soaking wet. I was successful to make fire once, but burned all paper - a printout of book I brought to read during long nights in the tent. This left me with insufficient amount of energy bars for the 2.5 days and no means to make the next fire and prepare food, so I cut the trip one day short... oh well.

Me and my dog Pepper started under sunny skies, but once we got to Wapiki Lake the weather turned gray, cold, and really windy!

The wind calmed down some time during the night, and the next morning was perfectly quiet and sunny.

It obviously dipped below freezing this night

After couple of hours of work to make a fire and prepare hot breakfast (success!) we set out back to the main trail, and hiked a steep trail to the foot of Lemei Rock. On the way, we had great views of Wapiki Lake, Goat Rocks, Mt. Hood and of course Mt. Adams. It quickly warmed up.

Wapiki Lake from the upper viewpoint

Mt. Hood from viewpoint above Lake Wapiki

Since I decided NOT to pick them this time, mushrooms seemed to pop up every 10 yards

Lemei Rock

Here, I made another mistake for the lack of research. There are two gullies by which one can ascend the Rock, and we ascended via the right-hand (wrong) gully which landed us on a lower, middle pinnacle. There's an obvious trail which made me believe it's the way to follow. To get to true top, we bushwhacked down through (and under) very thick fir thicket on the back side of the ridge - nothing hard but it cost us extra time, and when the day's so short every minute counts. On the return, we descended much more straightforward left-hand gully (left-hand if looking from the base) - one has to go towards a small arch on the ascent in order to find this gully, and once there it's fast and easy. The views from the top were superb.

St. Helens with a new snow cap

Bird Mountain

Rainier and Adams (I probably had some vertigo at the moment)

Pepper didn't want to pose on the summit this time. It was almost hot there under open sun, 70+ degrees for sure.

Lots of of ladybugs preparing to wait off winter at the summit

I found a golf ball on the lower slope and recalled VanMarmot's story about people playing golf on the top of Lemei Rock.

"Late variety" of heather

The remnants of snowfield I encountered below Lemei Rock back in the end of July

I also had some time to explore the terrain towards Lemei Lake - the trail goes through nice heather and huckleberry meadows. There's not much color overall, but some kind of dwarf huckleberry was quite showy in places.

Some berries are still green, many are red and lack taste, very few are fully ripe

October lupine! Well, I shouldn't be surprised

drm

Re: Indian Summer in Indian Heaven 10.16-10.17.2011

Post by drm » October 19th, 2011, 4:26 pm

I don't think that I saw anything as red as your picture. I talked to somebody camped at Bear Lake who hiked to Wapiki on Tuesday and said it was very windy. The east winds came up some time on Tuesday. Couldn't imagine going camping without a stove this time of year.

Helen

Post by Helen » October 19th, 2011, 4:38 pm

Beautiful photos, thanks for a great TR! Your dog is beautiful too.

Excursionista

Post by Excursionista » October 20th, 2011, 9:53 am

Great report! Indian Heaven is one of my favorite areas but I'd stayed away this year, hoping for a TR like yours to show a bit more color. Maybe I'll get up there in the next two weeks...
romann wrote:Since Hood and Adams were already snowed in, and I didn't feel ready for the winter, Indian Heaven looked like an ideal choice.
Hood isn't snowed in yet. Last Monday the route all the way to the top of Cooper Spur was clear, with only a few patches of thin, somewhat icy snow in the trail beds. On Tuesday, I went from Timberline Lodge to Zigzag Canyon and it looks like you could go as high as Mississippi Head without encountering any snow at all.

I'm not ready for the winter, either! :)

Peder

Post by Peder » October 20th, 2011, 10:04 am

Great trip report! I need to get outside...
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

romann

Post by romann » October 20th, 2011, 9:04 pm

Thanks all for nice replies. The colors are really good in places, but mostly behind the schedule. But it's still beautiful & finally no mosquitoes. From what I saw from Lemei Rock, fall colors are really bright on and around Bird Mtn (and to some degree Sawtooth Mtn).
DSC_5934_381.JPG
Bird Mtn (left) and Sawtooth (right) - I think
drm wrote:Couldn't imagine going camping without a stove this time of year.
It was my first October backpacking trip. I've got fire going in damper conditions, so didn't expect it to be a challenge. Also, it felt good at the moment to fit everything into small and light "summer" pack.