Wind Mountain 9/22/06

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
jeffstatt

Wind Mountain 9/22/06

Post by jeffstatt » June 20th, 2008, 3:42 pm

This is one of a few old trip reports I've been running through our conversion routine copying from the old site to the new one. This is one of Wind Mountain from Fall of 2006

Annual Northwest Forest Pass: $30
Good set of hiking boots: $120
Crossing two more gorge hikes off the list when you're supposed be working? PRICELESS!! [:)]

Don Nelsen and I hit two hikes in the Columbia River Gorge today. We started with Wind Mountain (just West of Dog Mt) and then went out to Elevator Shaft. We took off work early on Friday and was treated to a great early Fall day - a cool 60 degrees and sunny with whispy clouds - Bonus since the day started off pretty overcast and misty rain.

This is about a three mile hike (1,000 foot elevation gain) that offers remarkable views. To me this easily rivals Angel's Rest as the "best bang for the buck" viewpoint in the Gorge. If you haven't checked this one off, you really should!

Small parking spot near the unmarked trailhead

Dispite the labels of "primative" and "unmaintained" this trail was in about a good a shape as any in the area. Sure there were a few blowdowns and just a smidgin of poison oak early on the trail.

The trail was moderate in steepness...but not too bad at all.

Not even a 1/2 mile up trail there is a side-path to a great overlook. We were treated to a nice pallette of fall colors and a nice perspective of Dog Mt.
Don at the first overlook. Ausburger Mt in the background

Dog Mountain from the overlook on Wind Mt.

The next mile and a half we were treated to a beautiful dark forest with a high canopy and lush undergrowth. I always so look forward to the destination that I'm often so surprised at how pretty the journey is!
What a nice forest along the way!

Near the summit you'll come across this signpost describing the Native American history here:

Informational sign near the summit

The designated viewpoints were pretty easy to spot, and certainly there was plenty to see without having to go off trail. The first viewpoint you come across is to the West. I've included two photos with the westerly view, but there is a great Southern and Eastern view as well.

Don at the summit at the western view point

View looking East. Beacon Rock is clearly visible in the background

The site described on the sign was pretty clear on the west (true) summit of the mountain. What wasn't clear was which rock formations were from the original site and which were added by westerners after the fact. Nevertheless, the site would prove a great history lesson for children.

We had nice view of St Helens, Mt Defiance and Mt Adams this sunny and cool afternoon!

Mt St Helens from Wind Mt.

The Mt Defiance summit (thank you 12x zoom!)

Let me add....what a great KID'S HIKE assuming the children are made to respect the area on the summit and not make crazy!! In fact, my wife took our three boys (ages 4 - 10) up there while I was out in Texas for the week. They'll feel like they worked pretty hard for it, but what a nice payoff for them, especially if you help them learn and visualize the Native American history.

Directions:

Cross the Bridge of the Gods into Washington. Travel 6 miles east of Stevenson on Highway 14 and turn left on Wind Mountain Road (1/2 mi. past Home Valley Store). Turn right from Wind Mountain Road onto Girl Scout Road. Continue until the paved road ends, and park in the dirt circle at the end of the paved road. Walk down the dirt road. The unmarked trailhead is located on the right hand side at the third bend in the road. (There is space for one or two vehicles down the dirt road right near the start of the trail)

More Info:

See nwhiker's virtual hike:
http://www.nwhiker.com/CGNSAHike51.html

And here's another nice write up:
http://www.journeybeyondtravel.com/trav ... orge.shtml

And here from that great Lewis and Clark history site:
http://www.iinet.com/~englishriver/Lewi ... river.html