Falls Creek Falls, Panther Creek Falls, Beacon Rock 5-30-08

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Jane

Falls Creek Falls, Panther Creek Falls, Beacon Rock 5-30-08

Post by Jane » June 20th, 2008, 3:24 pm

Friday,May 30th was the day I had available to check out Falls Creek Falls, WA as I was leading a hike for the Trailsclub on Sunday June 1. I've done the trail several times in past years, but it had been a year and just wanted to make sure there wasn't any new surprises. There were some, but all good:) I was totally energized by the sunshine, however it's brilliance made it challenging to get clear photos - but I wasn't complaining!;) And I took a few more then on Sunday, when it was overcast. I added a detour trip Friday and Sunday, to the awesome Panther Creek Falls, so I'll insert logistics to that as I go... (oh and did Beacon Rock on the way home : )

From Troutdale, head east on I-84, take exit 44 to Cascade Locks, pay $1 toll and go over Bridge of the Gods. Turn right on Hwy. 14 for 5.9 miles, watch for signs to Carson and take that left onto Hwy. 30. If you've realized you forgot your Forest Pass, they sell them at the Texico-Wind River Market on the north end of Carson. Watch your speed on Hwy 30, there are many 35 MPH sections!

Continue on Hwy 30 (Wind River Road) and after milepost 5 but before mp 6, take a right onto the northernmost (the second, you will have passed the first) entrance of Old State Road. Almost immediately take a left (north) onto Panther Creek Road No.65 (do not go straight by the big blue building).Flip odometer or keep track now , destination is about 7.4 miles. At about 4.7 miles, ignore roads veering left or right, stay on 65, you'll go over a couple small bridges. This is a paved but narrow and windy road, watch for oncoming drivers, as well as deer! When nearing the 7.4 miles, watch for a large gravel pull-out on the right hand side at the base of a rocky hill. It's large enough for half a dozen cars, and looks kind of like a quarry spot.
5-30-08 Panther Crk.Falls parking pull out.jpg
Park there and walk a few hundred feet back down the road, before the curve, look for an unmarked gravel path on the down hill side of the road:
5-30-08 Panther Crk.Falls trail entrance .jpg
It's just a few hundred yards down to this observation platform,
5030-08 Panther Creek Falls platform.jpg
but the falls are magnificent, a converging of Panther Creek and Big Creek. The pics hardley do it justice, it is 100+ feet tall and almost as wide.
5-30-08:
5-30-08 Panther Crk.Falls top.jpg
5-30-08 Panther Crk. Falls bottom.jpg
6-1-08:
000_0055.JPG
Panther Creek Falls top 6-1-08
000_0054.JPG
Panther Creek Falls bottom 6-1-08
(More info here and a great photo by Bryan Swan: http://www.waterfallsnorthwest.com/wate ... um=660&p=0 )

To return to Hwy 30 you have two options. Return the way you came in, or, this way that shaves off abut 4 miles: Drive south on road 65 about 4.5 miles, watch for Warren Gap Road, a gravel road veering off to the right. Stay on this, drive careful and watch for potholes. In about 1.2 miles you will note the PCT trail crossing.

Continue ahead, the road turns southwest, but in less than a mile you will come to a stop sign at Hwy 30 (you're at about mp 9 on hwy 30 here).Take a right and continue north on Hwy 30 another 5.5 miles, just past the fish hatchery on your left, veer right (straight is Mineral Springs Rd.)to continue on Hwy 30/Wind River road for maybe 0.8 mile, and turn right on gravel road #3062. Stay on this for two miles, again drive slow and negotiate (with ;) the potholes. At Road 057, take that right to for a half mile to the parking lot for Trail 152A, the Lower Falls Creek Trail (Trail 152 TH is .3 miles up the road).
Signage is great for this whole trek, but it's such a beautiful area, it's too easy not to pay attention :) so I wanted to add the supplemented milage, etc.
100_4077.JPG
trailhead
(Friday blue skies)
5-30-08 Falls Crk. trail blue skies.jpg
Sunday we saw there might be some hard working folks ahead:
6-1-08 Falls Cr. WTA tools.jpg
There were five in our little group Sunday, and two had never done this trail, so we took our time for picture taking, etc.
5-30-08 Falls Crk. trail Dogwood.jpg
5-30-08 Falls Creek.jpg
5-30-08 Falls Crk. trail bridge and rushing creek.jpg

Sure enough, the WTA had volunteers in several sections of the trail today, widening and clearing where needed.
100_4078.JPG
WTA volunteers 6-1-08
When I hiked this Friday, I thought it looked then like it had alot of TLC,recently sawed debris trees:
5-30-08 Falls Cr. tr.-recently cut trees.jpg
but it was receiving even more reinforcement today. About 45 minutes into the hike, you'll come to the connector trail to the Upper Falls Trail, 152. In the past this has been tricky to find, and many people (including myself ) ended up bushwacking on intermittent "kinda" trails. But Friday I noted new work and signs now:
5-30-08 Falls Crk. trail signs.jpg
5-30-08 Falls Creek trail upper trail connector.jpg

and Sunday the crew was working here, to improve and protect this trail.
6-1-08 Falls Crk. Trail connector maintenance.jpg
I chatted with some of the crew and their leader, and they were happy to hear more about the Trailkeepers of Oregons and what we're doing so far:)

There was some water cascading over a small section of the trail, just use care when crossing
5-30-08 Falls Crk. hike water on trail.jpg

There were just a few others at the rocks near the falls when we stopped for lunch,
100_4089.JPG
lunch at rocks 6-1-08
Falls:
5-30-08 Falls Creek Falls beauty.jpg
6-1-08 Lower Falls Crk. Falls.JPG
6-1-08
5-30-08 Falls Crk.Falls rainbow.jpg

but this must have been the place to be today, because the hikers and (and their dogs) were increasing exponentially I swear! Between these (fools(?) at lower right),
100_4085.JPG
Falls Creek Falls lower rocks

and the half dozen kayakers hiking up, planning to put in at the base of the falls,
100_4091.JPG
kayakers 6-1-08
I wanted to get out of that scene :?

This hike is decribed in Sullivan's and Gerald's guide books, and is a great hike for beginners or visitors to enjoy !

Beacon Rock on the way home from my Friday, May 30 outing:
5-30-08 Beacon Rock trail.jpg
5-30-08 Beacon Rock view east.jpg
5-30-08 Beacon Rock view near Biddle plaque.jpg
5-30-08 Beacon Rock view west.jpg
5-30-08 Beacon Rock-view of Hamilton.jpg

drm

Re: Falls Creek Falls, Panther Creek Falls, Beacon Rock 5-30-08

Post by drm » June 20th, 2008, 6:27 pm

Jane said regarding the short trail to Panther Creek Falls:

--

Park there and walk a few hundred feet back down the road, before the curve, look for an unmarked gravel path on the down hill side of the road.

--

There was a trailhead sign there last summer for a while - that's how I first found it. When I took my brother there to show it to him, the sign was gone. I guess it's in somebodies living room now.

Jane posted three separate photos of this falls. Here is three photos stitched together that I took last week.
Attachments
pfj08sm.jpg
Panther Creek Falls
Last edited by drm on June 21st, 2008, 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » June 20th, 2008, 7:00 pm

Busy afternoon! You sure made use of the nice day! I'd driven by signs for Panther Creek Falls but never saw them. In fact I don't recall us getting a trip report from there on this site yet?

Falls Creek is another interesting spot for kayaks, huh? We saw a bunch at Punchbowl Falls in the middle of February one time! :shock:

BCJ

Post by BCJ » June 20th, 2008, 10:37 pm

Panther Creek Falls look beautiful...I don't ever recall seeing a photo of them; thanks for posting!

Jane

Post by Jane » June 21st, 2008, 9:19 am

Jeff- yes the sunshine is an amazing energy drug : )

DRM - thanks so much for the photo stitch! I actually took a couple short videos of it, not sure if/how I can load them on here.

BCJ - it IS beautiful, worth the short detour to see if you are heading anywhere off the Wind River Hwy.