Whetstone Mountain Loop 9/27/08

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
ElphabaNorthWest

Whetstone Mountain Loop 9/27/08

Post by ElphabaNorthWest » September 28th, 2008, 8:32 pm

I headed out Saturday morning for a hike through the Opal Creek wilderness. I made the mistake of not plotting the route with topo until I got home. TOPO claims the route we hiked was around 4800 ft of vertical and almost 13 miles. I'm not sure about the 4800 feet. It didn't seem like it was quite that much, but my joints and muscles are definitely telling me that this was more hiking that I usually do.
There is nothing like having a six month old puppy to make you feel completely out of shape. She would run ahead and stop about 50 feet from me look back to say are you coming or what. The only time she seemed even slightly tired was when we reached the top of Whetstone Mountain. She recovered quickly though and was impatiently waiting for me the whole way down.
The view from the top was pretty and I imagine that there is tons of bear grass in the spring, since we saw lots of the plants, but for the most part the flowers were long gone. There were lots of rhododendron plants, so it seems like this would be a great spring conditioning hike. We managed to scare two pheasants that were hanging out on the trail on the way up. They hung out in a tree near us, before taking off. My puppy was amazed.
On the way back down I managed to fall into the stream we were fording. I didn't feel too bad, since the guy who was crossing before me fell in too. He was one of the two groups we saw all day. The trail was not very well maintained and felt remote and quiet. There were quite a few huckleberry bushes, but no huckleberries to speak of. I don't know if it is because it is too late in the season at this elevation or if there wasn't a good crop this year. I did find a hill with a bunch of thimble berries though.
On the way back down we passed through Jawbone Flats and stopped at Opal Pool before walking back down the road to the trailhead.

jeffstatt

Re: Whetstone Mountain Loop 9/27/08

Post by jeffstatt » September 29th, 2008, 1:06 pm

Very nice! Sorry to hear you fell in? Yes there is some consolation in watching two others fall in behind you!

I think the huckleberry crop is no good this year. I have yet to hear any good reports coming back. This is just about the time of year, isn't it? This week of 90 degree temps sure aren't going to help (but maybe they'll turn our garden tomatos from green to red this week!)

Not sure what my dog would have done spotting Pheasants. I'm sure that would get his attention!

ElphabaNorthWest

Re: Whetstone Mountain Loop 9/27/08

Post by ElphabaNorthWest » September 29th, 2008, 1:38 pm

A friend sent me this: http://news.opb.org/article/3174-scarce ... ted-areas/

which basically says that the scarcity of huckleberries is leading to hungry bears. I haven't seen any bears, but it got me wondering if I should be more worried about backpacking this late in the year. I had been thinking of going with my two boys for an overnight, but I now I'm not sure...

I did find a great huckleberry crop up near Umbrella Falls, though, so I am thinking it depends on the region.