Harrys Ridge - September 15th, 2011

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Tyc

Harrys Ridge - September 15th, 2011

Post by Tyc » September 17th, 2011, 11:31 am

This hike was suppose to end at Coldwater Peak, but the weather turned for the worse and we opted to stop at Harrys Ridge.

Got lucky and the clouds had a small break so I could get a pano of Spirit Lake.

Eruption Trail

Harry's Ridge hidden in clouds

Henrys Ridge Summit

Peder

Re: Harrys Ridge - September 15th, 2011

Post by Peder » September 17th, 2011, 2:12 pm

Tyc - you were not so lucky with the weather. The weather was better yesterday (as you know I could even see the yellow hula hoop!) but that is how it goes. It is a shame that you did not get a view, it is fantastic from Harry's Ridge. Did you see any elk?
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Tyc

Post by Tyc » September 17th, 2011, 6:27 pm

Peder wrote:Tyc - you were not so lucky with the weather. The weather was better yesterday (as you know I could even see the yellow hula hoop!) but that is how it goes. It is a shame that you did not get a view, it is fantastic from Harry's Ridge. Did you see any elk?
Haha yeah my luck with the weather was pretty poor! Lucky! it looked like a perfect day. Wish I could have went up there then, but was stuck working. I will have to go back again soon before the weather turns.

I heard a large group of elk at the start of the hike and when we were heading back down from Henry's ridge my girlfriend pointed out a group of 25 or so heading up a hill near the South Coldwater trail. Such a beautiful area and I can't wait to go back and finish the hike to Coldwater Peak and Mt. Margaret.

romann

Post by romann » September 17th, 2011, 10:31 pm

On the second, third etc. time the clouds don't matter that much, but it helps to get a good view the first time (so later you can imagine the view in this kind of weather). Hope you get a better luck next time - this area is fantastic. I'd go there much more often if it wasn't for restriction on dogs.

Did you see any huckleberries? Are the berries and foliage still green?

tomoforegon

Post by tomoforegon » September 18th, 2011, 9:02 am

Tyc, I was up there on the boundary trail on the 15th as well with a buddy. We started about 9:30am and it was just socked in with clouds and drizzle. As we hit the exposed southside of Johnston Ridge the wind kicked up something fierce, so we turned around and called it a day. Looks like you might have been up there a bit later as we didn't get ANY cloud breaks in the morning. We did see some elk above the road driving up to the observatory, also one small toad, meadowlarks and ground squirrels. I don't think I'd ever head up to do this trail again without an iron-clad weather report for sunshine. The views are just too good to miss as we did.

Tom

funhog

Post by funhog » September 18th, 2011, 1:09 pm

Sheesh! It sounds like everyone was up there at the same time last week. I was there on the Windy Ridge side for two nights, 12th-14th. I picked lots of huckleberries and have them waiting in my freezer for midwinter waffles. I camped at a small, unnamed tarn off the Boundary Trail the second night and was, literally, in field of berries.
2CampHuckleberry.jpg
1Berries.jpg
This photo was taken at Norway Pass on the 14th. It was shirtsleeves weather that day! Just a wee bit different from your trip, eh?
3SpiritLake.jpg