Elkhorn Crest Trail Backpack Aug 31-Sept 3

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Gray Jay

Elkhorn Crest Trail Backpack Aug 31-Sept 3

Post by Gray Jay » September 14th, 2011, 10:15 pm

Inspired by prior trip reports on this site, I planned a combined car camp/day hike and backpack, Aug. 29-Sept. 5, 2011. We set up base camp at Anthony Lake, about 35 miles northwest of Baker City, Oregon.

At 7,100 feet elevation, Anthony Lake is a cool escape from the summer heat of the Baker Valley.

Anthony Lake and Gunsight Mountain
IMG_11183 AnthonyLk 8-29-11 ed.jpg
We got acclimated on Aug. 30 with a day hike to the summit of The Lakes Lookout, 8,522 feet. Along the way, we passed some meadows and wet areas which introduced me to some new wildflowers.
Sitka Burnet
IMG_11186 Sitka Burnet_Sanguisorba canadensis 8-29-11 ed.jpg
Fringed Grass-of-Parnassus
IMG_11187 Fringed Grass-of-Parnassus_Parnassia fimbriata var. fimbriata 8-29-11 ed.jpg
The Lakes Lookout view: Gunsight Mtn on the right, Hoffer Lakes below, Anthony Lake in center distance.
IMG_11217 Lakes Lookout view 8-30-11 ed.jpg
On August 31, five of us embarked on a 4-day backpack of the Elkhorn Crest Trail, a cumulative distance of 31 miles and about 3,600 feet of elevation gain. The rest of the group would continue to car camp and day hike, meeting us on our exit trail to give us a ride back to Anthony Lake. The north trailhead for the Elkhorn Crest sits next to the Anthony Lake Campground so we could leave our cars at the campsite.

Most of the Elkhorn Crest Trail is between 7,500 and 8,000 feet elevation, so the trail environment is predominantly subalpine, with lots of views. Our first camp was at Dutch Flat Lake, reached by a spur trail off the crest. The Elkhorn Crest Trail is dry, so camps have to be made in lake basins below.

Dutch Flat Lake as seen from the Elkhorn Crest
IMG_11243 Dutch Flat Lk 8-31-11 ed.jpg
Our second day on the trail, we hiked about 8 miles, continuing along the crest. As we proceeded south, the vegetation got dryer and more open. We saw lots of evidence of past wildfires.

Elkhorn Crest just north of Nip & Tuck Saddle
IMG_11266 Elkhorn Crest 9-1-11 ed.jpg
After lunch, we found ourselves hiking through mountain sagebrush.
IMG_11280 sagebrush_Elkhorn Crest 9-1-11 ed.jpg
The "Confusing Place" described in prior trip reports is no longer confusing. At the 5-way intersection, the other routes have been blocked off so it is clear that the Elkhorn Crest Trail coincides with a jeep road for a few hundred yards before resuming again.

Our second camp was at Summit Lake. If we had not brought the specific directions for the "Confusing Place," we might have missed the junction with the spur trail because it is not signed although it is marked by a rock cairn.

Summit Lake
IMG_11291 Summit Lk 9-1-11 ed.jpg
Our third day was the tough one. We had to hike 13 miles from Summit Lake to Twin Lakes, the next water source. The trail is well engineered, with gentle ascents of one to two percent grades, so the hiking was not difficult.

Alpine Knotweed provided color along this section of the Crest
IMG_11293 Elkhorn Crest 9-2-11 ed.jpg
The air quality was excellent and we could see the Strawberry Mountains on the southwest horizon as the Elkhorn Range curved southeast.
IMG_11300 Strawberry Mtns 9-2-11 ed.jpg
We all paused to make trailside calls. Did someone order pizza to be delivered to our next campsite?
IMG_11306 9-2-11 ed.jpg
The south facing slope became more open. There was less shade and the sun felt intense at 8,000 feet as the day wore on. We traversed the south slope of Rock Creek Butte, at 9,106 feet the range's highest peak.

Elkhorn Crest Trail with Rock Creek Butte in the distance
IMG_11325 Elkhorn Crest 9-2-11 ed.jpg
Finally, the Twin Lakes came into view below us in their cliff-rimmed valley.
IMG_11331 Twin Lakes 9-2-11 ed.jpg
Looking below us, I spotted a group of mountain goats in a meadow above Upper Twin Lake. Mountain goats were introduced to the Elkhorns many years ago, probably from Olympic National Park. This population is the likely source of mountain goats that occasionally show up in the Columbia River Gorge.
IMG_11334 mtn goats_Twin Lks 9-2-11 ed.jpg
Camp at Lower Twin Lake
IMG_11340 Twin Lks camp 9-2-11 ed.jpg
The final morning, we went for a hike to Upper Twin Lake before doing the final leg of the backpack. We found 8 mountain goats grazing in the meadow at the head of the lake.

Then it was time to hoist the packs and head down the Twin Lakes Trail to meet the rest of our group hiking in to meet us and transport us back to Anthony Lake. The final leg was 3.1 miles and a descent of 2,265 feet. We used the Twin Lakes Trail to exit because of marginally better access roads than the road to Marble Pass at the south end of the Elkhorn Crest.

The Elkhorn Crest is a great through-hike trail and practically nobody uses it. We met only 7 other people in 4 days and all were day hikers. We had fabulous scenery, perfect weather and only minor mosquito nuisances.

TRAIL TIP: Oregon Trail RV Park in Baker City has the lowest gas prices in town and sells showers to non-guests for $3. It is on the west side of the exit for the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center.

Thunder Thigh 3

Re: Elkhorn Crest Trail Backpack Aug 31-Sept 3

Post by Thunder Thigh 3 » September 15th, 2011, 7:56 am

Thanks for posting this great TR! I've always wanted to do that trail, perhaps next summer... Looks like a great time was had by all! Nice shot of the Parnassia - always been one of my favorites.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » September 15th, 2011, 4:28 pm

Nice report! That phone cracks me up -- and I'm SO glad the "authorities" have had the good sense to leave it there (who knows, maybe the PUT it there..?) There's a fine line on that sort of thing in a wilderness area, and this one seems to fall into the very appropriate category!

Neat that you saw some goats, too. I hope we see more of those in the Cascades in my lifetime.

Tom :)

fettster

Post by fettster » September 19th, 2011, 8:04 pm

Fun to relive the trip we took there last year about the same time. Looks like summer had a little stronger grip on the land yet compared to our trip which was still fantastic. Nice to hear the confusing junction has been getting some attention. I thought Summit Lake was a real gem of a lake, and the trail leading to it has some awesome views as well. Did you have the lake to yourself as well?

Interesting to see the phone sign was updated this last year. Someone is definitely motivated to keep that in good condition!