Moraine Lake and South Sister

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Tito goes hiking

Moraine Lake and South Sister

Post by Tito goes hiking » September 9th, 2011, 1:21 pm

My brother and I camped at Elk Lake in Central Oregon and hiked to Moraine Lake and then to the summit of the south Sister. This is something I have been wanting to do and it was more spectacular then I expected.
Sorry the pics are not in order. :| I'm such an amateur.
Attachments
ssissummit.jpgemail.jpg
My bro and I with our dogs on the summit
ssis 094.jpgsumemail.jpg
ssis 093.jpgtitosumemail.jpg
Tito, my mountain chihuahua on the summit
ssis 091.jpgbootsemail.jpg
resting on the rim
ssis 085.jpgcinderemail.jpg
ssis 084.jpghikecinderemail.jpg
ssis 083.jpghikeemail.jpg
Hiking up the cinder rock
ssis 082.jpglittlelakeemail.jpg
ssis 071.jpgpondemail.jpg
ssis 068.jpgclimbemail.jpg
This part was steep and loose.
We didn't care for this part.
ssis 064.jpgtitosnowemail.jpg
Tito digs snow
ssis 055.jpgtreeemail.jpg
This tree wowed me
ssis 052.jpgemail.jpg
ssisstich.jpgemail.jpg
ssis 048.jpgmoraineemail.jpg
Moraine Lake

ewbadz

Re: Moraine Lake and South Sister

Post by ewbadz » September 9th, 2011, 2:39 pm

Nice Pictures!! Since you went midweek I was curious how many people you saw on the trail?

Charley

Post by Charley » September 9th, 2011, 4:17 pm

That steep and loose part might be off route. I did this with a friend back in July, and followed the obvious snow tracks right up over a snow moat and scrambly rocky bit. When we came back down the next day, we realized that there'd been a turn to the left that we'd not even noticed. We were both surprised how easy it was to get off the intended route! Since there are so many people going up there, and they can go any way they want, there are inevitably tracks that braid in and out of the Forest Services intended route.

Otherwise, it's a great trip, huh?
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » September 9th, 2011, 4:42 pm

Nice work - hike, pics, report. As for the order of the pictures, when you post the pics you can select where you want the pics to go. Just upload them, then put the cursor where you want the pic to appear, and click 'place inline'. Took me a try or two to figure that out when I first started trolling PH.

That hike is on my 'post-surgery' list for 2011 but I don't know if I'll get down there this year.

How were the crowds at Moraine Lake? Lots of backpackers? Day hikers? Just wondering.

Thanks for sharing.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 9th, 2011, 5:11 pm

That tree is very interesting

Nice job, that is a very strenuous hike

Roy

Post by Roy » September 9th, 2011, 6:12 pm

Tito goes hiking wrote:My brother and I camped at Elk Lake in Central Oregon and hiked to Moraine Lake and then to the summit of the south Sister. This is something I have been wanting to do and it was more spectacular then I expected.
Sorry the pics are not in order. :| I'm such an amateur.
I liked your tr the summit shot tells all .Tom
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

geographics

Post by geographics » September 9th, 2011, 6:27 pm

Last edited by geographics on February 23rd, 2012, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tito goes hiking

Post by Tito goes hiking » September 10th, 2011, 9:43 am

ewbadz wrote:Nice Pictures!! Since you went midweek I was curious how many people you saw on the trail?
There were no people at Moraine Lake when we were there but there were prabably about 20-30 people climbing that day. 9-7-11 Some young girls wearing pink tennis shoes made the climb which gave me a little boost of confidence I could make it.

Tito goes hiking

Post by Tito goes hiking » September 10th, 2011, 9:45 am

Charley wrote:That steep and loose part might be off route. I did this with a friend back in July, and followed the obvious snow tracks right up over a snow moat and scrambly rocky bit. When we came back down the next day, we realized that there'd been a turn to the left that we'd not even noticed. We were both surprised how easy it was to get off the intended route! Since there are so many people going up there, and they can go any way they want, there are inevitably tracks that braid in and out of the Forest Services intended route.

Otherwise, it's a great trip, huh?
Yes, I agree with you. I thought it seemed easier on the way down so we must have hit the "trail" then.

Tito goes hiking

Post by Tito goes hiking » September 10th, 2011, 9:50 am

Crusak wrote:Nice work - hike, pics, report. As for the order of the pictures, when you post the pics you can select where you want the pics to go. Just upload them, then put the cursor where you want the pic to appear, and click 'place inline'. Took me a try or two to figure that out when I first started trolling PH.

That hike is on my 'post-surgery' list for 2011 but I don't know if I'll get down there this year.

How were the crowds at Moraine Lake? Lots of backpackers? Day hikers? Just wondering.

Thanks for sharing.
Thankyou for the tip on picture placement. No people at Moraine when we were there. Many day hikers (20ish) climbing.