Mt. Margaret (Mt. St. Helens area) 9/21/08

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
NWJeff

Mt. Margaret (Mt. St. Helens area) 9/21/08

Post by NWJeff » September 23rd, 2008, 1:41 pm

Peder and I hiked from Johnston Ridge visitor center (north side of Mt. St. Helens) to Mt. Margaret last Sunday, 9/21. It was about 18 miles round-trip and took us from about 7:15am to 4:00pm at a relaxed pace. The weather forecast had a chance of showers but we figured future weekends would not be much better.

This was the first time I met Peder. He is a wonderful hiking companion, and an experienced mountaineer and hiker of several continents. He set a comfortable steady pace and we made good time.

On the way into the National Monument area we encountered a bull elk (about a 6 pointer) and his harem of four cows just crossing the road. Too bad my camera was stuffed in my pack! We arrived at the trailhead around 7:00am and it was THICK fog. I discovered I had forgotten my boots so I just hiked in my trail runners. This turned out OK since the entire trail has a lot of sand on it making for soft footing. This is an ominous start to a long hike.
P1020583.JPG
Peder heading into the fog from Johnston Ridge visitor center 7:30am
At first it was just cool and foggy so we hiked in long pants and long sleeve shirts. We could not see anything, including the Toutle River basin nor Mt. St. Helens. Visibility was about 50 yards. The trail was fairly level, slight declines and inclines following Johnston Ridge and then up the valley west of Harry's Ridge.

We didn't stop but a few times for photos on the way out because the fog was so thick--there was nothing to be seen. A brisk wind occasionally cleared the fog for a few seconds and we would both rush to snap off a picture. Many times it was foggy again by the time the camera snapped.
P1020585.JPG
Brief clearing of fog for a glimpse of St. Helens Lake.
The hike outward was fairly uneventful. The trail is well graded up and down, and winds along both sides of the ridge toward Coldwater Peak, past The Dome and on to Mt. Margaret. Peder and other hikers we met heard lots of elk whistling in the valleys far below, but we could never get a view of them through the thick fog. My hearing is pretty bad as I never heard a thing.
P1020589.JPG
Peder "summitting" Mt. Margaret
The approach to Mt. Margaret was anti-climatic. It is a beautiful and awe inspiring journey, but the trail ascends this section so gradually that you arrive at the summit without just one short steep section. As the trail climbs higher on the ridge we got blasted by a wet crosswind from the west so we both eventually donned jackets and wool hats.
P1020590.JPG
Jeff on Mt. Margaret summit about 11:30am
It was at the summit that I realized I had left me GPS unit on the roof of Peder's car. It had been a birthday gift from my wife and kids several years ago so it was more a kick in the pants for sentimental reasons than just the loss of a nice piece of gear. Dang. Getting up at 3:30am just didn't bode well for me remember essentials like boots and GPS!
P1020591.JPG
Peder on summit of Mt. Margaret
There was no view at the summit since visibility was still about 50 yards, so we snapped a couple of victory photos and headed down to find a place out of the wind to have lunch.
P1020597.JPG
Landscape heading back toward Coldwater Peak
It is awesome to walk along ridges and valleys just stripped of the old trees. I find it hard to comprehend a wind so strong from the blast that it ripped trees out of the ground near the volcano. As you get further north in the blast zone you begin to see stumps that survived to remain in the ground, and further still you see taller snags standing bare of limbs. But for the blast to do this over a width of many miles and several miles in depth is hard to imagine. The forces of nature dwarf to mightiest efforts of man.
P1020600.JPG
Another brief clearing in the fog in Mt. Margaret backcountry
Twenty eight years after the eruption and the land still struggles to support meager signs of vegetation. Mostly moss, small bushes and a few hardy trees here and there. Somewhere along here we found a small copse of fir trees to use for a windbreak and take our lunch break. No place to sit, everything dripping wet, so we stood up for lunch.

A pleasant surprise was that Peder pulled out of his pack aa full bottle of red wine! Man, if you are going to eat lunch standing in the rain, then having a few glasses of wine sure makes it more fun. Sharing wine, bread, dried fruit and cheese with a hiking buddy is much more pleasant than wolfing down something alone in the rain.
P1020608.JPG
The photo above shows a typical ridge slope the trail wanders along northeast of Coldwater Peak.
P1020620.JPG
Peder approaching the rock arch
The section of the trail around the rock arch, which is just southwest of Coldwater Peak, is the only section where the trail gets narrow as it winds along the razor back ridge and rock outcroppings.
P1020627.JPG
Rock arch
P1020628.JPG
Eroded trail and slope exposure just south of rock arch
The section of trail just south of the rock arch has eroded down the steep slope. The trail has relocated just uphill of the washout. This may not be a section you want to take kids across. Otherwise the trail is pretty easy.
P1020631.JPG
Peder looking over another fleeting clearing of fog that exposes northern portion of Spirit Lake
On the return trip the fog cleared up a bit more in places. Even then, more fog would quickly roll in and obscure the view once more. On the way out we did not see Spirit Lake. Finally on the way back Spirit Lake was partially revealed. By now the wind was brisk, cold and wet with rain from the west. The wet bushes had soaked our pants and socks the way out, and now on the way back our entire bodies were pelted with rain. I put on my GoreTex jacket which was great, but neither of us bothered with rain pants so from the waist down we were getting soaked.
P1020640.JPG
Looking south from Johnston Ridge across Toutle River basin toward Mt. St. Helens, which is hidden behind clouds/fog
Arriving back on the south side of Johnston Ridge we finally were able to see the thoroughly scoured Toutle River basin. No matter how many times I have visited Mt. St. Helens I am still awe struck by the sheer power and devastation wrought on the landscape. Looking over the basin is a lesson in volcanoes, river birth and erosion of the land, as well as vegetation regaining a foothold on bare rock. Wow.
P1020642.JPG
Heading up the last stretch of trail on Johnston Ridge toward the visitor center.
All of the ridge slopes are fairly steep, but except for near the rock arch the trail is reliable and easily traversed.
P1020645-sec.JPG
A soggy Peder arrives back at the visitor center parking lot around 4:00pm. It is pouring down rain.
Just at the last half mile of the hike the occasional showers turned into a hard down pour of sheets of driving rain. I had removed my rain jacket a couple of miles back when it started to warm up. We both were sopping wet head to toe when we finished the hike.

SURPRISE! When we arrived at the car I saw that my GPS was still sitting on the roof! Yippee. Maybe it was such bad weather nobody noticed it. Or maybe the folks visiting the park on Sunday were just a bunch of nice people. I am grateful to have recovered my treasured gift. Thanks!!!

We decided that the earlier trip report here on Mt. Margaret with pictures of the mountain and herds of elk was total fantasy (see Mt. Margaret Backcountry 9/13-9/14). Poster "14270" must have heavily Photoshopped those pictures to insert elk, sunshine, and panoramic views! Peder and I testify that our photos of fog, rain, and no indication of a mountain anywhere reflect the true Mt. Margaret Backcountry.

Seriously, this is a wondrous hike and I highly recommend it even with zero visibility. If you are fortunate to hook up with Peder then it is even more fun. we look forward to exploring the area coming in from the Windy Ridge (east) side, going up around the lakes loop and even around Coldwater Lake. Maybe next time there will be enough visibility to make the side trip up to coldwater Peak worthwhile, too.
Last edited by NWJeff on September 23rd, 2008, 5:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.

jimsiff

Re: Mt. Margaret (Mt. St. Helens area) 9/21/08

Post by jimsiff » September 23rd, 2008, 2:03 pm

Nice work Jeff and Peder! I bet that fog was like walking through a constant light mist. :lol:
-Jim

Peder

Post by Peder » September 23rd, 2008, 11:39 pm

Yes, it was a great trip with Jeff. We did miss out on the views, but then there is something to look forward to next time. I had hoped to see how a GPS functions, but given the wet conditions there was not much incentive to stop and study such an item. Anyhow, as the GPS spent the day on the car roof, the only thing I learned about a GPS is that it is waterproof!

Below are the only two pictures I took during the day that do not feature thick fog or excessive rain!

The area beyond the Johnston Ridge Visitor Center is fascinating. For those wishing for shorter hikes, there is Harry’s Ridge/Viewpoint (an 8 mile round trip) or Coldwater Peak (a 12 mile round trip).
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Post by 14270 » September 25th, 2008, 11:12 pm

:lol:

I can assure you my Photoshop skills are nowhere near that level!

I can recall at some point (probably when I realized how bad the back of my neck was sunburned) thinking how beautiful it would be up there in the fog and rain. I guess now I know. At least you had wine to enjoy it with.

If you had just walked down the hill a ways from where P1020597 was taken, I'm sure you would have seen the elk. That is where the video was taken. It was all real, I swear!!!

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » September 26th, 2008, 6:30 am

<<The forces of nature dwarf to mightiest efforts of man.>>

Yes indeed! No where is that more in evidence that at Mount St. Helens. What a surprise that Peder pulled out that bottle of red wine! I usually bring an '08 Proprel from the lower Kalamazoo, Michigan region.

That must have been quite the sigh of relief when you saw the GPS still on top of the car when you got back! I've almost done that many many times but luckily remembered at the last minute. Was there any damage from the rain?

Too bad you didn't get many views. I love your tongue-in-cheek comment about the Mountain being Photo shopped in on other Trip Reports. It's amazing how much that mountain can disappear! But there is something uniquely beautiful about a foggy cool day hiking in the northwest - so hopefully it wasn't a total loss.

Thanks for sharing your adventure. And do TRY to remember your boots next time ;)