Stagman Ridge (Mt Adams) 29-Aug-2011

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Re: Stagman Ridge (Mt Adams) 29-Aug-2011

Post by VanMarmot » September 2nd, 2011, 6:41 am

Here are the directions I followed to the Stagman Ridge TH (from Bond's Take a Hike Portland book):

Cross the Columbia at Hood River
Go left off the bridge to SR-141 Alt
Turn right on to SR-141 Alt and follow it, and then SR-141, to Trout Lake
At the "Y" in Trout Lake, bear right on FR 23 for 9.1 mi to FR 8031
Follow FR 8031 for 0.5 mi to a right on to FR 070
Follow FR 070 for 3.2 mi then turn right on FR 120 for 0.8 mi to TH

Much of this is paved. The gravel sections were in pretty good condition - the few axle-buster potholes were easy to avoid.

bunbunaz

Post by bunbunaz » September 2nd, 2011, 6:48 am

VanMarmot wrote:Here are the directions I followed to the Stagman Ridge TH (from Bond's Take a Hike Portland book):

Cross the Columbia at Hood River
Go left off the bridge to SR-141 Alt
Turn right on to SR-141 Alt and follow it, and then SR-141, to Trout Lake
At the "Y" in Trout Lake, bear right on FR 23 for 9.1 mi to FR 8031
Follow FR 8031 for 0.5 mi to a right on to FR 070
Follow FR 070 for 3.2 mi then turn right on FR 120 for 0.8 mi to TH

Much of this is paved. The gravel sections were in pretty good condition - the few axle-buster potholes were easy to avoid.
Thanks! We're going to give it a go this weekend. Weather looks great and now that we know where we're going it should be good times! :)

drm

Post by drm » September 2nd, 2011, 9:40 am

The directions are a little confusing. At the Y at the gas station in Trout Lake, you bear right (this is not yet road 23), then a mile and a half later, you bear left on Forest Road 23. I think that the 9 miles measures from the earlier Y.

Also, there is a yellow sign on road 23 after the 9 miles with a symbol like this:

|
|-- [--> Stagman Ridge]
|
--|
|

I.e., a fourway where the left and right turns jog from each other, with the right being to Stagman. Those road numbers can be hard to see, but once you turn right onto the dirt road (don't worry, the nasty potholes end in a few hundred yards), the next left turn has a sign for Stagman Ridge Trail. The last right turn onto 120 is not really noticeable as such as it is the main way to go. So once you turn left onto the signed road for Stagman Ridge, you go generally north for 3 miles or so, then there is a sharp switchback right which takes you south for one mile to the trailhead.

Also, I recommend people do the upper loop CCW as route-finding can be harder the other way. Finding the trail back to Stagman from the lake is a bit harder than finding the lake coming directly from Stagman, unless it has become more worn in the last year.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » September 3rd, 2011, 8:32 am

I did this hike yesterday. Same loop in the same direction as VanMarmot, so I won't post a report.

1. The road is fine. There are potholes on the flat section after the White Salmon Bridge, but fairly good gravel thereafter.

2. The trail, including the Graveyard Cutoff, was seeing quite a bit of use. There were a few tents at the lake and at the meadows. About eight cars at the trailhead when I came out yesterday and I think I was the only dayhiker. My theory is that, given the driving distance, most people want to do this as a pack; for many, a one-hour drive for a dayhike is all they want to do.

3. The worst mosquitoes (for me) were at the first big meadow when you get your first full view of the mountain. I've got bites all over me as I was dilly-dallying trying to get photos of butterflies. There were mosquitoes at the lake and a few other places, but not as bad as there.

John

Crusak

Post by Crusak » September 3rd, 2011, 10:50 am

Is that the same general direction you drive to go to Cultus Lake Campground? I recall a family backpack trip a three years ago, and we got confused at the 'Y' where the gas station is.

That area looks very appealing. Thanks for the directions and update on conditions.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

bunbunaz

Post by bunbunaz » September 4th, 2011, 7:58 pm

bobcat wrote:I did this hike yesterday. Same loop in the same direction as VanMarmot, so I won't post a report.

1. The road is fine. There are potholes on the flat section after the White Salmon Bridge, but fairly good gravel thereafter.

2. The trail, including the Graveyard Cutoff, was seeing quite a bit of use. There were a few tents at the lake and at the meadows. About eight cars at the trailhead when I came out yesterday and I think I was the only dayhiker. My theory is that, given the driving distance, most people want to do this as a pack; for many, a one-hour drive for a dayhike is all they want to do.

3. The worst mosquitoes (for me) were at the first big meadow when you get your first full view of the mountain. I've got bites all over me as I was dilly-dallying trying to get photos of butterflies. There were mosquitoes at the lake and a few other places, but not as bad as there.

John
Completely agree with #1. You'd be fine even in a sedan.

#2. Saw about 6 cars in the lot today (Sunday) and one family camped there at the trailhead. Passed about 4 parties along the trail (all looked to be backpackers).

#3. Bugs were bad. Such a sweet view and we thought about taking an extended break there but the bugs had other ideas.

Thanks to everyone for help with the directions -- didn't have any problems finding the trailhead.