Crater Lake NP: Plaikni Falls and the Watchman (8-17-2011)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
OneSpeed

Crater Lake NP: Plaikni Falls and the Watchman (8-17-2011)

Post by OneSpeed » August 23rd, 2011, 9:07 pm

Just some random shots from an afternoon at Crater Lake, including a new trail (still being built) to a previously hidden waterfall. It's called Plaikni ("from the high country") Falls and is thought to be snowmelt from off Mount Scott, which goes underground for a while and then pops out as a spring. It's a nice trail, maybe a mile, from the road to the Pinnacles and Lost Creek Campground, which is a cool place to stay.

So, enjoy:
IMG_0269.jpg
Plaikni Falls
IMG_0271.jpg
Here is what $11.50 gets you up on the rim. On the plus side, it's only $10 to get into the park for a week and $10 for tent camping at Lost Creek.
IMG_0283.jpg
We then went over to hike up The Watchman, where we found this sign:
IMG_0323.jpg
It reminded me of a seldom-heard verse from "This Land is Your Land."

As I went walking, I saw a sign there,
And on that sign it said "No Trespassing."
But on the other side, it didn't say nothing.
That side was made for you and me!

So off we went, despite this little snow patch, which was the only one.
IMG_0320.jpg
Now for some shots from up on the Watchman.
IMG_0291.jpg
IMG_0292.jpg
IMG_0298.jpg
IMG_0299.jpg
All in all, a lovely day, and a nice way to arrive after two days in Sky Lakes Wilderness. I do love national parks: the scenery, the convenience, the international flavor of the crowds, the yummy cheap food.

Next up will be a hike to the park's high point, Mount Scott!

Splintercat

Re: Crater Lake NP: Plaikni Falls and the Watchman (8-17-201

Post by Splintercat » August 25th, 2011, 11:42 am

So Paul is a "trail closed" scofflaw..! I love it! (not surprised a bit, of course..) :D

Great that they're working on a new trail, too -- a rare occurrence these days, so kudos to the National Park Service. I have never heard of this falls before, and don't see it on Bryan's site (though he might have given it a generic name as a placeholder). I'll add that one to my list for my next trip to CLNP..! (Still haven't been to National Creek Falls, among others in the general area)

-Tom :)

OneSpeed

Post by OneSpeed » August 26th, 2011, 6:53 am

Splintercat wrote:Great that they're working on a new trail, too -- a rare occurrence these days, so kudos to the National Park Service.
I actually spoke with an off-duty ranger who said the current supervisor has a vision for expanding options in the park, beyond "looking at the lake." A part of that would be a backpacking loop of 40-50 miles around the lake. Some of that would be boring as hell, but it's a cool idea.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » August 26th, 2011, 4:50 pm

Funny about the "closed" sign. I was up there on the 16th and the stands were there and the signs were on the uphill side as if someone had reversed the stands they were on. Lots of folks going up the trail and not noticing the signs. Silly to close it anyway. As I left the area, two rangers were hiking up the trail past the signs and did not turn them around.

Two days ago I was back at the park and hiked to the top of Garfield Peak and there was a closed sign near the top of the trail and a few snow patches above there. Of course, everyone I saw was ignoring the sign there too. I can understand the park service being terrified about contingency fee attornies and flip-floppers' lawsuits but really!!

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller