Sky Lakes Wilderness 8/15-17/2011

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
OneSpeed

Re: Sky Lakes Wilderness 8/15-17/2011

Post by OneSpeed » August 24th, 2011, 9:37 pm

Crusak wrote:Great report, and you have some great pics too. That new camera - I remember that you were testing out a new one, something in between an SLR and a pocket camera, right?
Thanks. I never actually got to the testing stage. I just read and asked and thought, then got a Canon PowerShot G12. I'm digging it.

The Forager

Post by The Forager » September 7th, 2011, 5:15 pm

Nice Report, thanks!

I'm thinking of going down there this weekend. Any tips on which lake is best for fishing?

BigBear

Post by BigBear » September 8th, 2011, 9:09 am

Don't you just love those short cuts between the PCT and Lake Maragarette. You walk a hundred yards off the PCT, view the lovely lake just a couple hundred feet below, and envision a campsite in 20 minutes...

...only to find that trail designer was paid by the mile. It's four long, horrid miles to that campsite a bird could have flown to in 15 seconds.

Sadly, the Snow Lakes trail also takes a 4-mile milk run by some un named ponds before eventually making it to a lake large enough to filter water.

Beautiful lake basin, bizzare trail design.

Also, is the Waldo Tree at Island lake still standing? or did you go that far south (and west)?

OneSpeed

Post by OneSpeed » September 8th, 2011, 1:57 pm

The Forager wrote:Any tips on which lake is best for fishing?
I don't fish, really, but I'd think the biggest ones, Margurette and Trapper, would be best. Just wander around and give 'em all a try!

OneSpeed

Post by OneSpeed » September 8th, 2011, 1:59 pm

BigBear wrote:Don't you just love those short cuts between the PCT and Lake Maragarette. You walk a hundred yards off the PCT, view the lovely lake just a couple hundred feet below, and envision a campsite in 20 minutes...

...only to find that trail designer was paid by the mile. It's four long, horrid miles to that campsite a bird could have flown to in 15 seconds.

Sadly, the Snow Lakes trail also takes a 4-mile milk run by some un named ponds before eventually making it to a lake large enough to filter water.

Beautiful lake basin, bizzare trail design.

Also, is the Waldo Tree at Island lake still standing? or did you go that far south (and west)?
The trails there really are weird. Just coming in on the Sky Lakes Trail and wanting to get from Trapper Lake up to the PCT somehow involves about three miles of walking. We went around it and kept saying to ourselves, why are we here? On the way down we took a shortcut from No See Um Lake to the SLT and knocked two miles off in like 10 minutes.

And I've never heard of the Waldo Tree. What is it?