Mt Adams: August 20th - 21st

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Tyc

Mt Adams: August 20th - 21st

Post by Tyc » August 22nd, 2011, 8:56 pm

Went up with my dad on the 20th. Both of us had climbed Adams in the past but never got a chance to do it together. We arrived at Cold Creek Campground to find every parking spot full, but we were able to find a spot after moving a small log. Before heading out I checked around the parking lot to see if my friends truck was there (My friend and his dad went up 19th - 20th). I did find it and on the way up to Lunch Counter I passed above him and yelled down to him but he didn't hear me. At Lunch Counter we set up our tent and found a small stream of water to refill. After unpacking and getting my backpack ready for tomorrow we watched about 100+ hikers going up and coming down from the summit. Was the busiest day I have seen on Adams. I stayed up late to watch the stars and enjoyed a few beers (Fort George Vortex IPA & 21st Amendment Back In Black). After a few hours of watching the stars I decided to lay down and get some sleep.

I woke up before sunrise and saw at least 30 people heading up towards the false summit with headlamps on. My dad was already up and we both decided to get ready and set out before sunrise. I quickly reached the first ridge before the false summit and saw my dad below still coming up and decided to go on without him knowing he would catch up. On top of the False summit I couldn't see him anymore and waited until he crested over the first ridge. Once he was in view I headed up to the summit. I reached the summit at 9:20 am and hung out with a few other hikers for 15 minutes, took some pictures for other climbers, then hiked to the east overhang to see the east slope of Mt Adams and castle rock. Around 10:00 am I could see my dad heading up the final slope of the summit and I headed over to him. 10:05 am he reached the summit and another climber took our picture.

Ready to go

My friend yelling back to his dad as he passed on a ridge below me.

This plane flew over the summit at least 4 times within two hours.

Below Lunch Counter

Looking over the ridge below Lunch Counter

Tons of people still heading up to the summit as I got to Lunch Counter.

Running water at Lunch Counter

My dad decided to lay down once he got to camp

Angry guy heading into Lunch Counter

Right before the sun set

Sun set

People in the morning heading for the false summit with headlamps.

Mt Adams Shadow

Sun just rising before I hit the false summit

People on the summit taken from the false summit

Zoomed of my dad heading up for the false summit. (Red jacket)

Unzoomed of my dad heading up for the false summit. (Red jacket)

Snow formations on Pikers Peak

My dad and I on the summit

Myself on the summit

Mt Adams east slope

Mt Adams east slope and Castle Peak

Little Mt. Adams

Me waiting at the false summit on the way down for my dad
Last edited by Tyc on August 23rd, 2011, 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

rogersjd74

Re: Mt Adams: August 20th - 21st

Post by rogersjd74 » August 23rd, 2011, 9:55 am

Beauty climb/hike.... Tons of snow still on both the false and true summits.

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » August 23rd, 2011, 10:18 am

Totally awesome! Great pictures and TR.

Questions:
Did you need crampons, ice axe or ropes?
Did you or anyone else get altitude sickness?
How dangerous is the climb to the top as it pertains to slipping or death falls when exercising common sense?
Could you see Avalanche Valley on the east side in the Yakama Indian Reservation?

I ask about the climb because I have heard it is similar to the South Sister climb in that no special technical skills required and that it is just a long, sometimes steep hike to the top without dangerous inclines or skirting cliffs. I need to convince more than one person that a prepared person in good shape who acclimatizes for a day or two can safely do this climb.

I ask about Avalanche Valley because it is on my bucket list.

Tyc

Post by Tyc » August 23rd, 2011, 10:53 am

Thanks Born2BBrad
Born2BBrad wrote:Totally awesome! Great pictures and TR.

Questions:
Did you need crampons, ice axe or ropes?
Did you or anyone else get altitude sickness?
How dangerous is the climb to the top as it pertains to slipping or death falls when exercising common sense?
Could you see Avalanche Valley on the east side in the Yakama Indian Reservation?

My dad and I did not use crampons, ice axe or ropes, but I did have a few ropes in my bag. I would suggest crampons as a extra level of safety but not required if you watch your footing up the false summit.

I didn't see anyone get altitude sickness, but a group above us had a member "Jose" who was sick after making it to Lunch Counter. Not sure if it was from the altitude or just pushing himself to hard.

The climb is not that dangerous if people take their time and watch their footing. Early in the morning the snow is frozen solid and a fall could potentially cause a significant injury especially if near the rocks. Places to watch out for are near the false summit and looking down the eastern face of Adams if you head over that far. Also I watched a few people get injured glissading down from the false summit when they picked up to much speed and wiped out hard.

*Edit* Forgot to mention there are a lot of deformations in the snow to watch out for, but they are usually obvious and easy to avoid.

I did have a decent view of Avalanche Valley from the eastern ledge but my camera ended up with 20 corrupt pictures out of 322 and of course that was one of them.

"a prepared person in good shape who acclimatizes for a day or two can safely do this climb."
Yup for sure and you shouldn't need to acclimatize unless someone has a known problem with altitude.

Aridd

Post by Aridd » August 23rd, 2011, 11:08 am

cool, I really want to hit this sometime with year with only boots and poles...looks like its about time.

Tyc

Post by Tyc » August 23rd, 2011, 11:09 am

rogersjd74 wrote:Beauty climb/hike.... Tons of snow still on both the false and true summits.

Thanks Rogersjd74. I couldn't believe how much snow was on the mountain this year. Only one tiny edge of the summit building was visible.

-

Compared to August 2nd, 2009

rogersjd74

Post by rogersjd74 » August 23rd, 2011, 2:23 pm

To funny.... I have that same photo of 2009, shot the second week of August 2009. The snow is plentiful this year.

Great shots and great looking trip this year!

The trip is very similar to South Sister and I describe it as an endurance climb... Cramp-ons in the AM worked well for us, but by late morning the snow was way to soft and mushy... With the amount of people that climb Adams, I am suprised that we do really hear about more problems... More people get hurt in the glissade chutes than on the actual climb, I am guessing.

Speaking of that how were the glissade chutes this year?

-Jason

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » August 23rd, 2011, 4:22 pm

Thanks for the info. I’ll use it to convince my hiking friends that it’s doable and to convince my wife that it’s really not dangerous at all as long as I am prepared, in good shape and don’t do anything stupid. She worries when I go on difficult adventures, but it’s part of a wife’s duty to worry.

I did have an issue with altitude sickness (mild) last year climbing South Sister, but it’s probably because we drove from Portland at 200’ in the morning to the Fall Creek TH, then hiked almost straight to the top the hard way via Green Lakes. This was because cloudy weather was coming in fast and we didn’t want to expend the effort the next day to see nothing. Obviously I would not do the same thing on Mt. Adams.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

mayhem

Post by mayhem » August 23rd, 2011, 5:31 pm

Cool pictures great perspective especially of the Angry hiker..looks a lot like Eric Peterson when he was guarding the shack:)
Do you know why the hiker was angry or was it frustration ?

Yep! I really need to add that hike to my loony bin!
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » August 23rd, 2011, 5:37 pm

This can be done as a 4 am start Mayhem and be done before DN wakes up from his beauty sleep... :D