Dog Mountain 5-24-08

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Stevefromdodge

Dog Mountain 5-24-08

Post by Stevefromdodge » June 14th, 2008, 6:38 pm

Here's a quick report of my Dog Mountain trip on Saturday. The trail was crowded, but the weather was perfect. I won't bore you with a detailed description of a trail you probably know. I hiked up the newer, less difficult trail and down the backside to the Augspurger Mountain Trail.The lower meadow was packed full of people, butterflies and balsamroot. Here are a few shots of the views, the flora and the fauna. I used a Hart-brand people filter to screen out the homo-sapiens.

The upper meadows are just before their prime. It looks really good, but a close inspection shows many of the blooms are just forming. The lower section is a riot of balsamroot, with several earlier blooming species still present.

I was a little early for the upper meadows. You can see the area is just starting to take on that distant yellow glow characteristic of Dog in its prime. They should be better this coming weekend. The lupine was still in bud stage and most of the balsamroot was still green. There were a few noteworthy exceptions, however. 

A detailed list of all of flowers I saw is located here

I also had a good butterfly day. This is an Oregon Swallowtail.

Here's a Anise Swallowtail

and finally a small blue guy I haven't identified.

CherokeeDriver

Re: Dog Mountain 5-24-08

Post by CherokeeDriver » June 17th, 2008, 8:45 pm

I've only been up there once, Steve. Do you mean it doesn't always look like this?

- Robert :)