Mt. Bailey - 7/22/11

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Guy

Mt. Bailey - 7/22/11

Post by Guy » August 1st, 2011, 6:42 pm

So the day after Mt. Thielsen we headed for the Mountain on the other side of Diamond Lake & Peak 5 for our trip, Mt. Bailey. There is an upper & lower traihead neither is actually signed on the lake loop road. There is a confusing roadside trailhead that says trail to Mt. Bailey Trailhead but if you begin here you will add three miles to your round trip. To find the lower trailhead turn off the loop road onto gravel road 300 and go about 0.4 mile to the signed trailhead & parking

We set off just after 8 from the lower trailhead & hit the first patches of snow after about 1.5 miles. By the time we reached the upper trailhead it was 70% snow cover & half a mile after that it was 100% cover until we reached the summit.

It's a pretty gentle climb up to the crater that's on the South side of the False Summit.

From here you loop around the crater then up to the False Summit.

Getting to the False Summit is an easy hike, from here the trail decends slightly into a saddle before climbing again. The final section is a bit tougher with a bit of exposure in places but nothing serious. Once you begin to climb again there is a 30' wall on your right side & a drop off on your left. After a short time you come to this cool Window in the Wall.

Image Image

As we continued on we found ourselves walking between the rock wall & a steep frozen snow bank. This started out fine but the passage got narrower & narrower....

Until we found ourselves here!

We didn't feel like climbing out onto the frozen snow bank to cross so we made a small whole slightly larger took our packs off & squeezed through :) .. After this it was plain sailing to the Summit.

We hung out for quite a while on the top, until the wind got going about half an hour after our arrival! Finally found something useful to do with my camera's Burst Mode (The opening Jump Shot!)

On the way down we had to squeeze by the wall again :)

Then we stopped at the Window climbed through & explored the other side a bit.

Can we go now?

There were some nice colonies of Western Pasque Flowers growing in the rocks on the East side of the Crater.

Some great snow melt formations.

We had to run the usual voracious mosquito gauntlet for the last 3 miles back to the trailhead but by now we were used to it!

A few movie clips & lots more of photos here!

Cheers.
Last edited by Guy on August 1st, 2011, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

cfm

Re: Mt. Bailey - 7/22/11

Post by cfm » August 1st, 2011, 6:59 pm

Awesome report guy! My hiking buddy and I were planning on that hike last October when a storm came in and we ended up hiking nearby Garwood Butte instead. We're getting stoked to try it again this fall.

This report was even better than the recent TV showI saw on climbing Mt Bailey.

Love your jumping shots, and that cool rock window, I'm going to have start practicing my wheel to pose for that.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » August 1st, 2011, 7:17 pm

Guy and Chiyoko,

Great report and the pics are wonderful! I've never climbed Mt. Bailey and looks like it's on my short list now.

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage".

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » August 2nd, 2011, 7:34 am

Great job, Guy. Don't know how I missed this thread. Pretty cool you found the Mt Bailey 'skylight' as I've seen it referenced. You've been havin' some fun lately

Question, have you ever heard of Castle Rock north of Juntura? Its something that looks right up your alley. I climbed it in shorts as a boy, and ive never seen a good shot of it online.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/terryrichard ... edir=false
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

joerunner

Post by joerunner » August 2nd, 2011, 9:46 am

I really enjoyed your pictures. What a beautiful area.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » August 2nd, 2011, 12:15 pm

Great report, Guy! The "window" is a really cool find, too..!

Tom :)

mayhem

Post by mayhem » August 2nd, 2011, 5:41 pm

Great report. The first Pic is my favorite & makes me think you had a lot of fun!! Woooohooo!
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Tyc

Post by Tyc » August 2nd, 2011, 6:32 pm

Love the pictures! One awesome TR.

idratherbhiking

Post by idratherbhiking » August 2nd, 2011, 6:45 pm

Wow, great report! AWMAZING photos, just awesome!!! I am so jealous , it looks like you had perfect weather, and a fun group. I really like your first pic ( jumping shot) , it seems to show the enthusiasm of a great day of hiking! Just how I feel when I am in a beautiful wilderness absorbing it all! That was a cool idea using the burst mode on your camera. Sounds like you are very creative in your photography, no doubt talented at it! I look forward to your future reports! Congrates!

Guy

Post by Guy » August 3rd, 2011, 4:35 pm

Many thanks for all the positive comments folks! Yes this was a great hike & we had a lot of fun :) ... It was Eric's idea to try & get a jump shot but he may have regretted it the number of times I asked him & Chiyoko to jump again & again trying to get the perfect shot :D .. It worked a lot better once I remembered that my camera had a burst mode (10 pics in 1 second) made things a lot easier!

Brian - never even heard of Juntura let alone Castle Rock!! Googled & Noted :) ..
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors