Breezy Sunday on Silver Star Mountain, 9-14-08

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
sparklehorse

Breezy Sunday on Silver Star Mountain, 9-14-08

Post by sparklehorse » September 15th, 2008, 4:06 pm

When I saw Don Nelson’s trip report for Chimney Rocks last week it reminded me that Silver Star Mountain has been on my “To Do” list just about forever and it was high time to get my butt up there.

I went the easy way, from the north, which whittles this hike down to less than 3 miles one way with around 1200 feet of elevation gain. Directions are in the field guide and also in Sullivan’s NW Oregon guidebook. There’s nothing easy about the drive though, the last eight miles is certainly one of the rougher stretches of road I’ve ever encountered. Nevertheless the Subaru made it through OK.

The wind was just whipping at the trailhead so I was a bit apprehensive as I set off on this hike knowing that Silver Star’s open slopes and ridgelines are very exposed. I was looking forward to a relaxing late summer stroll after all and not a battering trek through a wind tunnel! But I’d come this far so I thought I’d just get started and see how things went. Originally I had planned to hike south on “Ed’s Trail”, but with the wind being out of the east I decided to hike the old road to the summit instead as that route would be less exposed to the gusty winds. As I made my way up it remained pretty breezy but never got as bad as I had expected.

The sky was hazy, but early on there was a decent view of Mt. Hood…

And a nice view north to St. Helens and Ranier…

And on up we climb toward the summit…

Along the way I couldn’t help but munch lots of the tasty thimbleberries and huckleberries that lined the trail.

Before long we reached the open summit area…

It was breezy at the summit but not nearly as bad as I expected. View SE toward Mt. Hood…

Looking northeast toward Mt. Ranier…

View of the true summit and St. Helens from the southern false summit …

Rugged Sturgeon Rock to the west…

It was just 63 degrees up here today, so we really beat the heat quite nicely. Near the summit I was surprised to see a young couple riding down on an ATV. Does anyone know if they’re legal up here? That’s a shame if they are. Otherwise though we saw very few people all day.

On the way down, a look back at a jagged false summit…

Really a great little hike on a breezy but otherwise perfect September afternoon!

Gordon
Last edited by sparklehorse on September 16th, 2008, 2:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
You have to milk the cow a lot to make a bit of cheese.
~Henri Cartier-Bresson

Smugmug / Facebook

weathercrazy

Re: Breezy Sunday on Silver Star Mountain, 9-14-08

Post by weathercrazy » September 15th, 2008, 8:26 pm

Very nice pics! I haven't done this hike in quite some time...I think its back on the list!

fettster

Post by fettster » September 15th, 2008, 9:27 pm

Is there ever a bad day to be up there when conditions are clear? Enough can't be said about this gem. Great shots and I'm a bit surprised this was your first visit.

AlexanderSupertramp

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » September 16th, 2008, 5:35 am

Great shots Gordon! Thea and I went up there for the first time just a month or so ago and we were blown away. The next chance you get to go up there, you owe it to yourself to take Ed's trail. It was amazingly scenic. Thanks for the report!

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » September 17th, 2008, 5:00 pm

I'm pretty sure ATVs are not allowed up there. When we did this hike two summers ago, we encountered two FS rangers at the trailhead after our hike. They asked if we had seen any ATVs. They'd had reports of some at Silver Star and were coming to investigate. We had not heard or seen any the five hours we had been hiking, thankfully. After about five minutes, the rangers got back in their truck and left. Not much they could do, I guess.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » September 17th, 2008, 7:24 pm

Excellent photos and thanks for the great report.

As for the ATV's: There are a maze of logging roads on the west side of the peak and ATVers are managing to get in and access the upper reaches via the route that goes due east and passes to the south of Sturgeon Rock. There is also a way in on the SE side as well and I've seen some there, too. Our understaffed forest service can't moniter everything so this will continue until concerned parties unite to stop it. I have seen a few ATV's up there myself but what does one do?

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » September 19th, 2008, 6:22 am

Great photos! I've really struggled to get Rainier and St. Helens to show up on my photos from up there - what filters (if any) do you use?

Shame about the ATV.