Enchantment Lakes 9/7 to 9/11/2008

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
retired jerry

Enchantment Lakes 9/7 to 9/11/2008

Post by retired jerry » September 14th, 2008, 6:09 am

I did a 4 night backpack to the Enchantments.

I'm going to do this as several submitals because my computer keeps crashing.

The Enchantment Lakes basin is a 4 mile long alpine lake basin in the central Washington cascades. It is granite, like the Sierras, except it's lower elevation (6800 feet to almost 9000 feet).

I think this is the best backpacking in Oregon or Washington. Scenic views everywhere. Nice campsites. You can walk cross country in every direction (except don't step on the vegetation).

The only problem is they limit the number of people, so you have to apply in February of the previous winter, be flexible about the date, and still be lucky to get a slot. I saw about 8 groups of people on the trail every day, and about 4 tents the 3 days I was in the Enchantments, so it didn't seem crowded. Lots of day hikers closer to the trailhead.

I started and ended at Snow Creek TH 1300 feet elevation. 10 miles to the lower Enchantments at 6800 feet. You can also start at the Colchuck TH at 3500 feet. 6 miles to Assgard Pass at the top end of the Enchantments at 7800 feet. It's about 6 hours from Portland - I 84 to The Dalles, US 97 North to Leavenworth, West on Icicle Creek Road to the TH.

Typical trail with Little Anna Perna in the background:
197.JPG
Another shot of trail with Little Anna Perna and Dragontail. Note the rock cairns. At many places there isn't much of a trail and you have to follow the rock cairns.
203.JPG
Looking the opposite direction. Lots of little ponds and bigger lakes. Prusik Peak in the background:
205.JPG
One of the upper lakes. Little Anna Perna in the background. It's straightforward to go cross country up the ridge to the top. No trail or anything.:
220.JPG

retired jerry

Re: Enchantment Lakes 9/7 to 9/11/2008

Post by retired jerry » September 14th, 2008, 6:23 am

We camped the first night at Snow Lake, just below the Encahntments, 5400 feet elevation, about 7 miles from the TH. The trail goes on the South side of Snow lake, about 1 mile around it. There are about 6 pretty nice campsites between the trail and the lake, enough off the trail for a bit of privacy. You can only camp at designated campsites, marked with a small sign, about 18 total. There are about 6 primitive toilets.

Going up from Snow Lakes to the Enchantments, the trail gets chalenging. Non adventurous hikers might not want to do this hike. There are places you have to use your hands. There are places you have to walk on granite slabs:
138.JPG
We saw some mountain goats at Snow Lake. When we got to the Emchantments, there were some mountain goats waiting for us:
153.JPG
They were really tame. One approached within about 6 feet, before I got nervous and shooed it away:
158.JPG
The trail hits the first Enchantment Lake. We continued to the next lake where there were more plentiful campsites. I love the campsites because there are views in every direction, there are flat gravely areas to sleep on, and there are granite slabs to put your stuff on or sit on, like tables and chairs. We camped under the stars. Got to 29 degrees one night. My sleeping bag:
176.JPG
Last edited by retired jerry on September 14th, 2008, 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 14th, 2008, 6:36 am

We camped two nights at the second lake, and on the in-between day, hiked to Assgard Pass at the upper end of the Enchantment basin. The trail is somewhat challenging, especially this chute between the Lower and Upper Enchantments:
246.JPG
At the far end is Assgard Pass. View down to Colchuck Lake:
227.JPG
I met a lot of people that hiked up from Colchuck. That picture doesn't really show it very good, but that doesn't look like much of a trail, and that has to be about the steepest trail I've every seen.

On the way back down, we took the short side trail to Prusik Pass:
249.JPG
Another shot of Prusik Peak:
186.JPG
Typical trail - granite stepping stones:
190.JPG
One of the funky toilets. They must haul out the containers of waste, with helicopters? I can't imagine carrying them:
243.JPG
Right at the beginning, near the Snow Creek TH, the trail goes through a section that was recently burned:
259.JPG
If you ever get a chance to visit this area, I can't recommend it enough.

If you can't get a permit for the Enchantments, there are a number of similar areas off US 2 between Leavenworth and Seattle.

bush_marmot

Post by bush_marmot » September 14th, 2008, 2:56 pm

What a marvelous trip report, Jerry!!
Thank you for sharing this!
:D
Congratulations on scoring such great weather for when your wilderness permit came up!!
This time of year it's a real gamble up there - and you won.
(I got pounded once by a 3-day snowstorm near there, in the 2nd week of September).

I love your pictures - inCREDible shots of those goats!!
Yes, it's not 'sissy' to be nervous that close to a mountain goat, even a female who appears friendly towards you.

I'm gonna go and admire your photos some more.
:)

Thanks again!
Peter

fettster

Post by fettster » September 14th, 2008, 6:57 pm

Cool trip and a good preview for our upcoming trip. We got nailed with snow last year so I hope we at least get a little bit of those clear conditions you had. I can't believe how close the goats get there. Does it seem like they're looking for food?

jimsiff

Post by jimsiff » September 14th, 2008, 10:25 pm

Jerry, thanks for the great report. With scenery like that, it's no wonder they severely restrict the numbers in the area. I'll get there one of these days...
-Jim

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 15th, 2008, 5:14 am

fettster wrote:Cool trip and a good preview for our upcoming trip. We got nailed with snow last year so I hope we at least get a little bit of those clear conditions you had. I can't believe how close the goats get there. Does it seem like they're looking for food?
Their tameness made me think people were feeding them, but that doesn't make sense because they're so big - if you gave them a few nuts or something it wouldn't be enough to make any difference. Maybe they're looking for salt. One of the brocures said not to urinate on plants, because the goats will dig it up for the salt.

I remember your trip report from last fall, amazing snow conditions, you are very adventurous.

Does the trail up from Colchuck require using your hands? It looks so impossible from the top.

BCJ

Post by BCJ » September 15th, 2008, 8:44 am

Aasgard Pass does require a little use of hands but it isn't technical at all and not nearly as scary as it looks from above or below. It's pretty much a tame class 3 scramble with cairns and a beat-down route to show you the way.

The goats there see a lot of people so they are quite comfortable around us. They are indeed looking for salt from urine and will start coming around at the first sign of people to see what you've left for them. I went in early July a couple of years ago and we were the only ones in the area so the goats paid special attention to us. At one point we had 13 of them in camp scratching at the ground; they got close enough to us to touch. Below are a few shots...

fettster

Post by fettster » September 15th, 2008, 9:29 pm

BCJ wrote:Image
"Don't mind us!"

Crazy.

joerunner

Post by joerunner » September 16th, 2008, 6:53 am

Great report and pictures Jerry. It is amazing how pronounced the enchantements are from any direction. I was high up in the Entiats last weekend so I wasn't too far away from you.