2011-06-27 Table Mountain north ridge

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Peder

2011-06-27 Table Mountain north ridge

Post by Peder » July 2nd, 2011, 2:37 pm

If you are willing to drive a little, the shortest way to Table Mountain is from the forest service roads to the north. Most cars can drive to the five-way junction to the NW of Greenleaf Peak. A 4WD is recommended to continue from there to the saddle north of Table Mountain, though some drivers are tough enough to get a sedan up there (not recommended unless you are brave and willing to damage your car a little!):
DSC07570.JPG
Snow a little before the saddle
We parked about 0.7 miles from the saddle, as there was still snow on the road. I would expect the snow to be gone by now. On this last stretch there is even an old logging cable across the road that is hard to miss:
DSC07498.JPG
Greg & cable
If you follow the cable up into the woods you will rapidly come across some old artefacts.

With my son Greg we started our hike by visiting the Indian vision quest pits just above the PCT on the lower slopes of Birkenfeld South.
DSC07508.JPG
Indian pits
Hereafter we went west on the PCT to the first hairpin of the PCT; there is a whole lot of old logging equipment hidden between the trees. The first two pictures are taken standing on the PCT trail:
DSC07518a.jpg
Hard to spot?
DSC07528.JPG
Initially we walked right by all this stuff on the PCT trail without seeing anything!
DSC07526.JPG
DSC07527.jpg
The north ridge of Table Mountain has great views, although the trail is somewhat overgrown.
DSC07536.JPG
DSC07537.JPG
The view from Table Mountain is always impressive.
DSC07542.JPG
Still on the north ridge
DSC07550.JPG
DSC07551.JPG
Heading down:
DSC07564.JPG
At left Silver Star Mountain. Directly above Greg and the power line is the logging stuff. The Indian pits are in the scree slopes on Birkenfeld South.
This makes a fun day out – the north ridge is short and easy compared with the main trails on the Columbia River side; the inconvenience is the longer drive.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Guy

Re: 2011-06-27 Table Mountain north ridge

Post by Guy » July 3rd, 2011, 5:49 pm

Great report Peder, but I have to ask...

Has Mrs Peder seen this photo :) ??
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Crusak

Post by Crusak » July 3rd, 2011, 5:54 pm

^^^
haha same question I was gonna ask

Looks like a great hike though, thanks for sharing. I really like the historical stuff.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Peder

Post by Peder » July 4th, 2011, 12:08 pm

My better half thinks that I am in deadly danger no matter where I hike. The pictures make no difference; she saw the pictures below from last year of my son scrambling on Grouse Mountain without reacting:
DSC01072.jpg
DSC01073.jpg
DSC01074.jpg
DSC01076.jpg
We are off to do another hike/scramble with the same local (Vancouver, BC) person tomorrow! My wife is thankfully ignorant of our activities! She worries just as much when we are on Wind Mountain!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Guy

Post by Guy » July 4th, 2011, 6:17 pm

She worries just as much when we are on Wind Mountain!
:lol: :lol:
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 3rd, 2016, 3:40 pm

After nearly two decades of looking up at this iconic face I finally hiked here from the north this past Monday, and it was great! I guess for a long time I hoped to be able to hike it in full but I am now content to take the easy way and grateful that it (still) exists.

The flies were out in number however so precaution is advised!

Peder

Post by Peder » May 4th, 2016, 9:51 pm

Webfoot wrote:After nearly two decades of looking up at this iconic face I finally hiked here from the north this past Monday, and it was great!
Great hike, isn't it? Congratulations to getting to a spot you had eyed for so long!

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » May 5th, 2016, 7:03 am

Peder and Webfoot, could either of you provide a little info about the distance and EG from the north? My wife is not able to do difficult or exposed hikes for safety reasons due to a seizure disorder. I know the summit of Table is obviously a risk, though we wouldn't get anywhere near the edge. Thanks in advance.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 5th, 2016, 10:28 am

Peder wrote:Great hike, isn't it? Congratulations to getting to a spot you had eyed for so long!
Yes, and thank you!
sprengers4jc wrote:Peder and Webfoot, could either of you provide a little info about the distance and EG from the north? My wife is not able to do difficult or exposed hikes for safety reasons due to a seizure disorder.
Distance is surprisingly short, only about 1.4 miles one way, which was perfect for me as I could enjoy the summit before back pain set in. Elevation gain is mild, perhaps 500 feet, though there are a few steep sections.

Your concern will be that there is some unavoidable exposure. In the middle third of the hike the trail wanders in and out of trees along the ridge, and in the open areas there is nothing to catch you if you stumble, but I think the slopes are not bad i.e. one would not tumble far. However one part, which if I recall correctly is the final climb up to the plateau, the trail winds up the side of a steep and bare hillock and the slope is bad; an awkward stumble there could be fatal. Normally I would not consider this particularly dangerous as the path is solid but in your case it could be a stopper. I think there may have been another very short section with significant exposure but I cannot recall clearly.

Have you explored the use of climbing equipment? I cannot recall if there are any natural anchors on the top of that hill (it is bare and has a great view!) but it may be possible to set a rope to do this in safety. (An experienced mountaineer could probably do this with a body belay but that's not me.)

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » May 5th, 2016, 11:06 am

Webfoot wrote:
Peder wrote:Great hike, isn't it? Congratulations to getting to a spot you had eyed for so long!
Yes, and thank you!
sprengers4jc wrote:Peder and Webfoot, could either of you provide a little info about the distance and EG from the north? My wife is not able to do difficult or exposed hikes for safety reasons due to a seizure disorder.
Distance is surprisingly short, only about 1.4 miles one way, which was perfect for me as I could enjoy the summit before back pain set in. Elevation gain is mild, perhaps 500 feet, though there are a few steep sections.

Your concern will be that there is some unavoidable exposure. In the middle third of the hike the trail wanders in and out of trees along the ridge, and in the open areas there is nothing to catch you if you stumble, but I think the slopes are not bad i.e. one would not tumble far. However one part, which if I recall correctly is the final climb up to the plateau, the trail winds up the side of a steep and bare hillock and the slope is bad; an awkward stumble there could be fatal. Normally I would not consider this particularly dangerous as the path is solid but in your case it could be a stopper. I think there may have been another very short section with significant exposure but I cannot recall clearly.

Have you explored the use of climbing equipment? I cannot recall if there are any natural anchors on the top of that hill (it is bare and has a great view!) but it may be possible to set a rope to do this in safety. (An experienced mountaineer could probably do this with a body belay but that's not me.)
Thanks for your reply! We have discussed climbing equipment to open up some options, although truthfully, there are so many non-exposed trails that we can access that don't have that risk that we will probably pass on this for now. Thanks again :)
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown