Herman/Benson/Eagle Traverse 21-Jun-2011

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Splintercat

Re: Herman/Benson/Eagle Traverse 21-Jun-2011

Post by Splintercat » June 22nd, 2011, 7:08 pm

Van, your "Hidden Falls" is what I would call WyEast Falls -- one and the same, I'm sure, but where did you pick up Hidden Falls as a name?
...he headed up Ruckel Ridge to explore the Benson Plateau, while I drove his car to the Herman Creek TH...
That's a pretty creative idea! Puts a new spin on the shuttle concept.

Tom

-Q-

Post by -Q- » June 22nd, 2011, 8:20 pm

the dual car shuttle idea is neat for sure!!

Peder

Post by Peder » June 22nd, 2011, 10:23 pm

pablo wrote:Neat-o - that's a great way for you guys to simultaneously do a pair of seemingly unrelated hilkes [...]Some possibilities for some interesting variations on standard hikes, hmmm - I will ponder this...
Bruce and Paul just say if you have any good ideas for car2car hikes. As I told Bruce, the idea came from a wish to hike between Norway Pass TH and the Coldwater Lake (and/or adjacent trailheads). As Bruce knows, I am available for the next week or so, whereafter I will not be back till August. In August & September there should be less snow and ample opportunities for car2car hikes!

Bruce - you pictures are always great and I especially like the one of Table Mountain & surroundings. That is probably because I hiked up past the Greenleaf Falls today and continued up the east face of Table Mountain. It was a very entertaining hike and a report will follow.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » June 23rd, 2011, 5:56 am

Splintercat wrote:Van, your "Hidden Falls" is what I would call WyEast Falls -- one and the same, I'm sure, but where did you pick up Hidden Falls as a name?
Tom - I thought I saw the name on some map but now, after you asked, can't find the reference. As it's right near Wy'East camp and your knowledge of Gorge history & names is much greater than mine, I've amended the trip report.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » June 24th, 2011, 12:44 pm

I'm no expert on it, Van -- Bryan Swan has done a good job explaining the illogic, as the falls is on an unnamed creek -- not on WyEast Creek, where WyEast Camp is located. But since it's not formally named, I thought maybe there were multiple references out there (and there probably are). I've seen Ecola Falls on Multnomah Creek (a name I despise, by the way) called "Hidden Falls" before, so that's possibly where you saw that name..? I believe that's from "Romance of the Waterfalls".

Tom