1969 photo of Dog Mtn bloom and Mt St Helens

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
CuriousGorgeGuide

1969 photo of Dog Mtn bloom and Mt St Helens

Post by CuriousGorgeGuide » June 15th, 2011, 10:52 am

Hey, I recently stumbled onto this pic in the Gorge Heritage Museum (Bingen). It was taken by the Peyrollaz family of Carson. Wow, same flowers, different mountain. I LOVE how all our local museums are digitizing their archives...it makes stopping in for a browse-thru that much more fun!!
Dog Mtn 1969 (Peyrollaz pic).jpg
Maybe next week I'll share the INCREDIBLE hidden nugget of Gorge geology I found via a photo in this same archive. Anyone ever hear of a 10-foot petrified stump filled-in with a free-standing column of basalt lava?? Neither had I, except in rumor. Now I know the fact. Anyone have any idea about this hidden petrified "secret"??

runnerwalkeroregon

Re: 1969 photo of Dog Mtn bloom and Mt St Helens

Post by runnerwalkeroregon » June 15th, 2011, 11:06 am

Wow! I love seeing old pictures. I'm hoping to do Dog next week and it'll be interesting to see how things have changed. That hidden stump sounds awesome too! I would love to see it!
BTW, love your guidebook!

payslee

Post by payslee » June 15th, 2011, 11:35 am

Ah, trip reports on visits to the past. Cool picture, although I can't for the life of me figure out from where on Dog mountain they got that angle to St. Helens.
Maybe next week I'll share the INCREDIBLE hidden nugget of Gorge geology I found via a photo in this same archive. Anyone ever hear of a 10-foot petrified stump filled-in with a free-standing column of basalt lava?? Neither had I, except in rumor. Now I know the fact. Anyone have any idea about this hidden petrified "secret"??
Do you mean the one up on Eagle Creek? There've been a few photos and trip reports on it in this forum in the last year or two. Very cool thing on a trail that's already a little overwhelmed by cool things.

-payslee

your mileage may vary

drm

Post by drm » June 15th, 2011, 1:16 pm

payslee wrote:Ah, trip reports on visits to the past. Cool picture, although I can't for the life of me figure out from where on Dog mountain they got that angle to St. Helens.
Don't forget that Mt St Helens was 1500 feet taller in 1969.

Koda

Post by Koda » June 15th, 2011, 7:31 pm

payslee wrote:Cool picture, although I can't for the life of me figure out from where on Dog mountain they got that angle to St. Helens.
your mileage may vary
having fun with GE, I found the angle....
image-108.jpg
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

funhog

Post by funhog » June 15th, 2011, 7:51 pm

Looking at this cool photo, I immediately asked my partner, "Was there Fujichrome in 1969?" I, of course, Googled it and found that yes, there was. The blues and greens are so intense it looks for all the world like ancient slides stashed in my steamer trunk. Fujichrome was my film of choice. Thanks so much for this blast from the past!

AlexanderSupertramp

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » June 15th, 2011, 9:22 pm

Thanks for this Scott! Hey payslee, here's a shot from a very similar spot 2 years ago. As I recall it's near the upper meadow, you need a sharp eye and a clear day :-)
Attachments
P5282828.JPG
Dog Mtn 1969 (Peyrollaz pic).jpg

Guy

Post by Guy » June 16th, 2011, 5:58 am

Wasn't that supposed to be near Elowah Falls?
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

CuriousGorgeGuide

Post by CuriousGorgeGuide » June 16th, 2011, 7:50 am

Great side-by-side Adam---really cool! And you too Koda...I spun GoogEarth around too because I just wasn't sure it was St Helens, as I have never seen St Helens as a cone except in older pix.
As for the petrified stump "stumper"....not Eagle Creek's...nor in the wet Gorge. This is an eastern dry-side "stumper". Who's the geology know-it-all nut???

zippyslug31

Post by zippyslug31 » June 16th, 2011, 11:07 am

Thanks for posting; pretty cool.
CuriousGorgeGuide wrote:I LOVE how all our local museums are digitizing their archives...
I've recently taken on this task for my personal photos (30 years of family, hikes, etc). Talk about a ridiculous amount of work!
Had no idea the scale of this task but a little ways in and I'm guessing I'll be at this for many months, if not years. :shock: