Catherine Ck / Coyote Wall Loop 08-Apr-2011

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Re: Catherine Ck / Coyote Wall Loop 08-Apr-2011

Post by drm » April 10th, 2011, 9:37 am

VanMarmot wrote:Looking back I could see how I might have gone higher, but this would have conflicted with my desire to start hiking the Coyote Wall trail from the bottom. I used old Hwy 8 to get around the lower Coyote Wall - couldn't see any alternative that didn't involve flying.
I don't think there is any that doesn't involve at least some serious scrambling, and on very loose junk. If it is loose enough, you are flying, with a hard landing. I think that the only hikable break in the wall is the one you used up high. And that might be a bit steep for some hikers.

It does seem like the flowers are getting a slow start this year. I guess they like more sun as much as we do.

Peder

Re: Catherine Ck / Coyote Wall Loop 08-Apr-2011

Post by Peder » May 4th, 2011, 11:21 pm

Today I made full use of the superb weather by making a similar loop: I started from the Coyote Wall trailhead, followed the PH Field Guide instructions to the Labyrinth (Thanks Jerry!) and then went cross country to the Indian Pits. The cross country itinerary requires route finding skills, but there is a faint (game/human) trail the whole way. From the Labyrinth, the route is relatively level between 600’ (Labyrinth end) and 400’ at the Indian Pits end. Looking back towards the Labyrinth:
DSC06072.JPG
Looking back west towards the Labyrinth.
The Labyrinth is about 0.2 miles behind the cliff. There is no indication of the route at this end, other than that there are faint traces along the intuitively easiest route. At the Indian Pit end, there is a small cairn where the route starts.

Along the way, I had the pleasure of coming around a corner and three turkey vultures took off. They then kindly circled above me for photos:
Turkey Vulture.jpg
Turkey Vulture
This whole area is beautiful and currently the flowers are in bloom. The Field Guide offers 8 hikes in this area, varying from the short barrier free trail below the Catharine Creek Trailhead to longer hikes. Now seems a wonderful time to visit!
DSC06064.JPG
Columbia River
Finally, close to where VanMarmot came across a vineyard, there is also a large pond that seems to hold goldfish! Here are a few of the fish in the pond; it looks like an invasive species to me!
DSC06138.JPG
Goldfish?
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…