Goat Rocks Wilderness 8/23-25/2008

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
JosephSamuel

Goat Rocks Wilderness 8/23-25/2008

Post by JosephSamuel » August 27th, 2008, 11:11 am

For years the Goat Rocks Wilderness of Washington has been on my "to do" list of hikes. Because of its distance from Portland, however, I have never been able to get there for day hikes. The pictures I had seen and the trip reports were all spectacular, and I could resist no longer!

The drive from Portland to Packwood, the town nearest the Goat Rocks, was about 2.5 hours and 130 miles (I-5 N to SR-12 E). Another 20 miles on an excellent gravel road brought us to the Berry Patch Trailhead; it was completely packed with cars and horse trailers! :o I should not have been too surprised for a popular area on a Saturday.

My wife Amy, stepdaughter Miette (11 yrs) and I set off up the Snowgrass Flats Trail (#96). For the first few miles it rambles through typically beautiful Northwest forest and begins steepening just after passing Goat
Creek.
IMG_3285.JPG
We were soon making steady progress uphill, pausing for numerous groups heading down, including three groups of horse riders. We would discover though the rest of our trip, the.....errr.....evidence of horses' presence on the trails. Overall, though the trails appeared well used and rutted in places, they were not as bad as I thought they might be at such a popular destination. They were certainly not as bad as some parts of the Three Sisters Wilderness where they appear more like backroads.......

Our mild uphill battle ended at a beautiful, if not entirely flat, campsite on a ridge. The views of the Goat Rocks were spectacular!
IMG_3306.JPG
As was the sunset!
IMG_3331.JPG
In the morning Mount Adams was bathed in the gentle hues of the new day.
IMG_3341.JPG
We were up early and packed up camp so we could move it when we got back from our destination hike of the day: Old Snowy. I did not realize what a popular goal it was! Everyone we met seemed to be coming or going from there. The hike up along the PCT was like walking the roof of the world: expansive views, wildflowers and wildlife, a slow transition into pure alpine rock and snow. The wind was frightful on the upper parts and we could see stormy weather blowing in from the west. All together it was an easy scramble to the top, with trail most of the way.
IMG_3354.JPG
IMG_3360.JPG
IMG_3365.JPG
We met some adventurous souls on top who had traversed from the east that day, summiting Gilbert and Ives Peaks before Old Snowy! We returned to our camp and moved to a different site, hoping to find a breezier, more open place were the mosquitoes could not get at us. We found a more beautiful site but had little luck warding off the bugs :cry:

During the night it rained heavily and we awoke to a misty morning. After packing up, we headed out the Lily Basin Trail (#86) to Goat Lake, which was still crowded with ice! :shock:
IMG_3428.JPG
We had a chilly lunch and continued on, in awe of the incredible scenery. On the way out we passed a few campsites (incredible places to stay!!) and even saw a lone mountain goat :) .
IMG_3437.JPG
This part of the trail was the most magnificent of the trip and could go head-to-head with any other beautiful alpine setting (that I have seen) for the U.S. Heavyweight Scenery Title: beautiful vistas high above glacially carved valleys, a stunning riot of wildflowers, mountain goats, frozen lakes.....almost too much :D :D . Pictures don't do it justice.
IMG_3446.JPG
IMG_3447.JPG
After crossing over the saddle into the Jordan Basin we were in awe of the hanging basin that is the source of Jordan Creek. At this point we were descending via the Goat Ridge trail (#95), with extensive views to the west. We got back to the Berry Patch Trailhead to find just 5 vehicles in the lot! The lesson: go on a weekday! :idea:

Birdieman

Re: Goat Rocks Wilderness 8/23-25/2008

Post by Birdieman » August 27th, 2008, 11:48 am

Nice report, thanks for the info.

Are you in the Portland area and how long did it take you to drive to the Berry Patch trail head?

Trying to figure out logistics for a possible long day hike to the Goat Rocks.

I know it would be much better as an overnighter but, it sounds like a day hike
would be better than nothing at all :D

Thanks

Martell

Post by Martell » August 27th, 2008, 11:56 am

Birdieman, it's about 3 hrs to the trailhead from downtown, depending how fast you drive.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

fettster

Post by fettster » August 27th, 2008, 12:04 pm

In the limited wilderness areas I've visited Goat Rocks is still my favorite. Good stuff and looks like a great trip! Too bad about the bugs. Did you see any elk as well?

I have done Goat Rocks as a day hike before from Portland metro and though it makes for a long day it was a very rewarding trip.

Jacko

Post by Jacko » August 28th, 2008, 11:29 am

Where exactly are the "few campsites (incredible places to stay!!)" ?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 28th, 2008, 11:45 am

Jacko wrote:Where exactly are the "few campsites (incredible places to stay!!)" ?
I was there last year.

Nice campsites on Goat Ridge Trail at the top of Jordan valley (between 1 and 2 miles before Goat Lake).

Also between Goat Lake and Snowgrass Flat (between 1 and 2 miles from Goat Lake).

JosephSamuel

Post by JosephSamuel » August 28th, 2008, 7:11 pm

Yup, just east of the Jordan Creek Trail (#94) junction are two sites that sit out above the Jordan Creek Valley. The easternmost of the two looks nicer.

In general we passed a fair amount of sites that were just outside of popular areas.

JosephSamuel

Post by JosephSamuel » August 28th, 2008, 7:22 pm

OOPS, I read my own trip report wrong. Not only are there sites where I said above the Jordan Creek Valley, but spectacular sites just above Goat Lake as well. That is what I meant in the original trip report.

JosephSamuel

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 29th, 2008, 6:12 am

JosephSamuel wrote:OOPS, I read my own trip report wrong. Not only are there sites where I said above the Jordan Creek Valley, but spectacular sites just above Goat Lake as well. That is what I meant in the original trip report.

JosephSamuel
There are some nice sites around Goat Lake, but they're very windy. It blew my pillow into the lake. I was talking to someone else who also said they don't camp at Goat Lake anymore because it's too windy. Also, there's no privacy.

fettster

Post by fettster » August 29th, 2008, 6:55 am

retired jerry wrote:There are some nice sites around Goat Lake, but they're very windy. It blew my pillow into the lake.
LOL, what a memory retired jerry! :lol: Thanks for sharing the warning.