Indian Heaven Loop, 8/21/08 - 8/24/08

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
sparklehorse

Indian Heaven Loop, 8/21/08 - 8/24/08

Post by sparklehorse » August 26th, 2008, 3:37 pm

First things first, the mosquitoes were awful and there’s no ripe berries at the moment above 4400 feet. Nevertheless I had a really great time on my solo four-day backpack trip through the heart of the Indian Heaven Wilderness. I’ve wanted to do a solo trip here for a long time and this turned out to be the year for it. I came prepared for the bugs so they really didn’t bother me much, but I’ll come back to that in a bit.

I know many of you have been here before, but for those who haven’t Indian Heaven is a wonderfully rich patchwork of alpine lakes, lush meadows and small peaks nestled more or less between Mt. Adams and Mt. St. Helens. For the most part the area lacks the majestic views and dramatic landscapes of places like the Wallowas or the Wind Rivers but personally I found it to be an exceptionally charming and beautiful place. Certainly its lakes and meadows are worthy of a trip in their own right as they are as gorgeous as any I've seen anywhere. But there are some fine views to be had as well, and if you’re willing to scramble up one of its small, rocky peaks I’m sure even better panoramas await.

I left Portland early on Thursday, August 21. It was cloudy and pleasant when I left town but as I moved up through the gorge it started to mist a little. By the time I arrived at the Thomas Lake trailhead the mist had turned to a steady, cold rain. Ick! Not what I'd expected for the start of an August backpack trip! Oh well, the weather was supposed to improve in the days to come so I popped open my little trekking umbrella and headed up the trail, my dog Kirah eagerly leading the way…

It had been raining here for a couple of days leaving long stretches of the trail pretty flooded. My feet got soaking wet but my umbrella, rain hat and wind shirt kept the rest of me mostly dry. By early afternoon I made it to Blue Lake and grabbed the designated campsite at its northwest corner, which offered some shelter from the cold north wind. After setting up camp I searched for dry firewood for about an hour but found very little. Kirah was soaking wet and I’d hoped to get her dry before bed but my little fire did nothing to help. So in the early evening after dinner we hiked around the area a bit trying to warm up and dry out. The rain had stopped so I was able to finally take some pictures.

Blue Lake, Gifford Peak still in the clouds…

Nearby Lake Sahalee Tyee…

We did warm up some but I slept a little cold that first night. I didn’t see a mosquito all day, but that would change soon enough.

Friday morning I awoke to a chilly 41 degrees, but it wasn’t raining and there was actually some blue sky to be seen.

And before long, glorious sunshine…

Finally Gifford Peak was out of the clouds…

From Blue Lake I headed north on the PCT with Clear Lake in mind as my next destination. An hour later we arrived at lovely Junction Lake…

I saw some other hikers here taking a break and then four ladies also came through, each with her own personal llama…

Overall though I saw very few people the whole trip, just a couple of small groups and a few solo hikers each day. I suppose most folks are waiting for the mozzies to clear out.

Speaking of which, it was somewhere around Junction Lake that I met my first mosquito. Earlier I’d read that mosquitoes aren’t active below 55 degrees, but for the mozzies of Indian Heaven it’s more like 50. I observed this carefully, and it turned out to be a pretty reliable threshold each day. Above 50 degrees there is absolutely nowhere you can hide from them except your tent, there’s even plenty of them on the drier ridges and hills. Below 50 life is good. They were so thick at times that I nearly trapped one inside my camera body while changing lenses.

I positively can’t stand DEET, so for this trip I packed a couple ounces of Sawyer’s 20% Picaridin product and I gotta say it worked quite well. Not perfect, but much better than the 7% Cutter product I tried two years ago. It has a slight odor but it’s not objectionable to me and as a bonus it won’t eat sunglasses or cameras like DEET. For added protection I also wore long nylon pants, a Buzz-Off long sleeve shirt and Buzz-Off hat. I had a bug net too, but I found that with a little bit of Sawyer’s smeared on my face and neck I didn’t really need the head net.

So after four days in “Mosquito Heaven” I came away with about four or five bites on each arm, six or seven on each leg, one on my neck and one on my bum. That’s not too bad in my book as I’m generally a major mosquito magnet. One thing I’ve learned too is to smear some Benadryl cream on each and every bite when it first starts to itch. The cream stops the itch instantly and as long as the bites don’t itch you don’t scratch them which is generally why they welt up and get weepy and bothersome. Two days later now my bites are almost gone.

‘Nuff said about the skeeters, the next stop was Clear Lake where I got lucky and found a primo campsite right next to the lake…

This was below a huge talus slope where a resident pika chirped busily every few minutes. It was such a pretty spot I decided to camp here two nights and just do some day hiking on Saturday. In the evening I hiked around the lake a little stretch and got a decent shot as the sun sank low in the sky…

Saturday I did a little day hike up to the saddle over Bird Mountain to see if I could catch some views, and happily I did.

Mt. Adams…

And a little peek north to Mt. Ranier and nearby Sawtooth Mountain…

One of several little rock gardens along the way…

After a snack back at camp I headed over to check out some of the neighboring lakes.

Cultus Lake in the early evening…

And then on to Deep Lake…

I chose a different route for my hike out on Sunday, turning this trip into a sort of figure eight loop. Here’s a map if you’re interested. Though separated from my route in by only a mile or less, the character of the hike out was different by light years. The hike in on the PCT and all of the day hiking I did was in dense conifer forest with no views to speak of and just the occasional lake or marsh. The route out though, past Lemei Lake and then on an abandoned stretch of trail down to the Rock Lakes, was about half through gorgeous open meadows or through marshy wetlands with lots of ponds and small winding streams. A very pretty hike indeed.

One of the many meadows along the way…

Swampy Lemei Lake…

Along this stretch I saw the first of several large bear scats, each loaded with berry seeds. It struck me as odd because he or she was a long way from where the berries are.

A huge meadow along the abandoned trail, one of the largest I’ve seen…

Back on the main trail, this is Rock Lake…

And then above Eunice Lake there’s a little viewpoint west to Mt. St. Helens…

So that’s it, about 24 miles round trip with 3500 feet total elevation gain. A really a gorgeous area and just 70 miles from Portland! Next time I’ll definitely come in September instead and leave the bug juice at home.

As a side note, I gave my gear a serious makeover this year knocking about 4 lbs. off my base pack weight bringing it to around 12 lbs., so if anyone’s interested I could talk about that a little as well.

Fun trip!

Gordon
Last edited by sparklehorse on June 24th, 2016, 10:30 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Paul

Re: Indian Heaven Loop, 8/21/08 - 8/24/08

Post by Paul » August 26th, 2008, 4:16 pm

Thanks for the report! I did a similar hike last year, staying at Rock lake and Deer lake> Beautiful area! I'm glad you didn;t see many people. I won;t go back on a weekend, it was SERIOUSLY busy at all the main lakes. Surprisingly, I had Deer lake to myself when Clear lake (right above it) was packed.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
- Will Rogers

funhog

Post by funhog » August 26th, 2008, 7:45 pm

I was up in Indian Heaven for a solo overnight week before last. My trip was only about ten miles total. The skeeters were equally awful but the trails were pretty much empty. My report is here: http://www.worldisround.com/articles/347596/

There were tons of huckleberries outside of Trout Lake but nary a one at the higher elevations. Plus, I had the same thoughts you did about the bear scat I found on the trail. The berries were miles away but Yogi had clearly been feasting on them.

Many thanks for the wonderful photos! Funhog
Last edited by funhog on August 27th, 2008, 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

SCtoPDX

Post by SCtoPDX » August 26th, 2008, 8:51 pm

Great Picts and a nice trip report Gordon.

Ian

fettster

Post by fettster » August 28th, 2008, 11:19 am

I can tell you had an enjoyable trip as I enjoyed reading through this. It was fun ID'ing in my head the views I'd seen before as well as seeing some new terrain. If I recall correctly there's no trail up to Bird Mountain so you must've bushwhacked?

You seem to be getting a good handle on using that new camera. That's an interesting perspective on Gifford Peak with the leaning tree. What lenses did you bring along?

I haven't heard that 50 degree observation before. They must be pretty hardy up that way!

sparklehorse

Post by sparklehorse » August 28th, 2008, 8:34 pm

fettster wrote:If I recall correctly there's no trail up to Bird Mountain so you must've bushwhacked?
Hi David,
I just went up to the saddle of Bird Mountain, so no bushwhacking. It's a regular trail that goes from the Wood Lake area up over the saddle and then down to the Cultus Creek campground. But yeah, I don't think any of the peaks in Indian Heaven are walk-ups, they all require some degree of scrambling to reach the summit with the exception of Red Mountain in the south. I had my dog with me so I wasn't inclined to attempt any scrambles.
fettster wrote:That's an interesting perspective on Gifford Peak with the leaning tree. What lenses did you bring along?
I brought an 11-18mm zoom (which is what the Gifford Peak shot was taken with), an 18-200mm zoom and then at the last minute I also threw in my 18-55, which I didn't really need but enjoyed using because it's so light. I also brought my sub - 2lb tripod which I didn't use as much as I thought I would. It was enough gear to stretch my new ultralight Gossamer Gear Murmur pack a bit beyond its weight limits but it held up perfectly.
fettster wrote:I haven't heard that 50 degree observation before. They must be pretty hardy up that way!
Yeah, they're hardy for sure! The good news for any folks headed up there for the coming holiday weekend is it should be cool enough that they won't be too much trouble. Maybe just a few hours in the middle of the day, but the mornings and late evenings it sounds like it should be below 50 degrees up there, maybe even down into the 30s. Brrrr.

G
You have to milk the cow a lot to make a bit of cheese.
~Henri Cartier-Bresson

Smugmug / Facebook

drm

Post by drm » August 29th, 2008, 7:30 am

fettster wrote:I haven't heard that 50 degree observation before. They must be pretty hardy up that way!
Yeah, they're hardy for sure! The good news for any folks headed up there for the coming holiday weekend is it should be cool enough that they won't be too much trouble. Maybe just a few hours in the middle of the day, but the mornings and late evenings it sounds like it should be below 50 degrees up there, maybe even down into the 30s. Brrrr.

G[/quote]

The mosquitoes were certainly out in sub-50 degree weather for my brief visit to Mt Rainier a few days ago.

Different species of mosquito (there are many) have different tolerances and preferences. Some mosquitoes don't like direct sunlight and wait till the evening shadows show up, though I haven't seen that much around here.

sparklehorse

Post by sparklehorse » August 29th, 2008, 11:34 am

drm wrote:The mosquitoes were certainly out in sub-50 degree weather for my brief visit to Mt Rainier a few days ago.

Different species of mosquito (there are many) have different tolerances and preferences. Some mosquitoes don't like direct sunlight and wait till the evening shadows show up, though I haven't seen that much around here.
Hi drm,
Just curious if the mosquitoes you saw on Mt. Ranier were actually biting when the temps were cold. I saw a few in Indian Heaven when the temps were below 50 but they weren't in blood sucking mode. You're right about the different species, they can and do operate in much different conditions.

G
You have to milk the cow a lot to make a bit of cheese.
~Henri Cartier-Bresson

Smugmug / Facebook

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » August 29th, 2008, 12:34 pm

I've only been to Indian Heaven twice, both times during the height of mosquito season (I didn't know any better). I have learned my lesson and now when eventually make it back there I won't go before Labor Day. Although, this year everything is so late (stupid snow!) that there will probably still be plenty of mosquitoes for a little while after Labor Day.

drm

Post by drm » August 29th, 2008, 1:18 pm

sparklehorse wrote:
drm wrote:The mosquitoes were certainly out in sub-50 degree weather for my brief visit to Mt Rainier a few days ago.

Hi drm,
Just curious if the mosquitoes you saw on Mt. Ranier were actually biting when the temps were cold. I saw a few in Indian Heaven when the temps were below 50 but they weren't in blood sucking mode. You're right about the different species, they can and do operate in much different conditions.

G
The colder it is, the slower and more lethargic they get. Some did land and start to draw me down, but they didn't get very far before I dispatched them. When it is just above whatever their threshold is, they sort of just fly around and don't bite. But I've definitely run into mozzies that bite into the 40s.

A couple of weeks earlier, I camped in Indian Heaven near Thomas Lake for one night when the temp never got above 50 and didn't see even one of them. I think that may have been before the peak.