Eagle Creek-Tanner Butte Loop 8/13/08 - 8/15/08

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Arioto

Eagle Creek-Tanner Butte Loop 8/13/08 - 8/15/08

Post by Arioto » August 26th, 2008, 3:31 pm

I recently hiked this trail with my In-laws and let me first tell you that all three of us are beginners :lol: and I am not a photographer ;) . So, please read this with those two things in mind. I'm sure that my "whew" is a walk in the park for many. :mrgreen:

Wednesday 8/13/08 we started at the eagle creek trailhead.

A couple shots along Eagle Creek trail.

Tunnel Falls

On a previous attempt to do this loop, Eagle Creek was way too high to safely ford at the intended location. I bushwacked a 1/4 of a mile, as the crow flies, upstream to find a log that has fallen perfectly across. This makes a great shimmy. Most of you probably know it's there, but if the creek is too high it could save your hike.

I also found a campsite along the "bushwack" that we chose to utilize for this occasion. This is one of the best campsights along the entire trail, offering an awesome swimming hole and complete solitude. We spotted a bald eagle flying down stream, perching in the trees and screeching as it headed on. I was unable capture it with the camera, but it was pretty awesome.

I highly suggest stocking up on water before you set out again. You probably won't find water until you hit the Big Cedar Springs campsite. Earlier, during this last spring, I encountered a small stream along the next stretch, but it was dry by this day.

8/14/08 we started the day by crossing the intended ford.

Here is where the pain begins as we climb and climb and climb and... we hit Big Cedar Springs campsite to rest and pump some water. You will encounter a couple of ponds shortly after Big Cedar Spring, but I would guess the water to be less than tasty. :? Do fill up on water here, no matter what, as the rest of the traverse is pretty treacherous and all up hill. You will need it.

This is another nice campsite. The spring literally runs directly across the trail. You cannot miss it. Be a little carefull as the path veers sharply left, but you really should have no problem staying on track.

Here is Dad refilling our water supply.

Big Cedar Springs Campsite

Here the fun-o-meter really jumps as the trail gets skinnier and the foliage becomes heavier. There are some awesome rocks to climb up and over and a few scratch your head moments in the wonder of what direction you should take, but it is pretty clear if you use your amazing hikin' skilz. Great views are hither and thither along the way.

We hit the Tanner Butte trail and took some deep breaths. The trail levels off and hits what looks like an old service road. We camped between here and the scramble up the butte because of pure exaustion. Don't judge me, you've been there. ;)

Dad and I along this stretch.

At Tanner Butte there is a sign that marks the way lying at the bottom of a tree. You really can't miss it. Next time I go, maybe I'll bring a couple of nails.

Beyond the scramble the trail remains like an old road narrowing and widening at times through beargrass and huckleberries. The trail really gets beautiful as you aproach the Dublin lake trail. If you need water just hike down the Dublin Lake trail and get some here. If your a little low, but don't need it yet, you can keep going until you hit a few streams ahead on the trail. I was unaware that the streams were there and hiked down to Dublin. We were pretty wiped and this took a good hour out of our day. Dublin Lake was beautiful, loaded with salamanders. What a healthy looking lake. Good campsites.

We came across a fork in the trail and were unclear on some writings on a trail marker. We took a gamble and headed down trail to the left. Whew! It was the correct choice. Down a bunch of switchbacks past the powerlines and to the TB trail head. We headed down the Gorge trail and yippie!

So, for a few beginners, we were proud of ourselves. I got to know my amazing In-Laws even better and I hope to have many more experiences like it.
Last edited by Arioto on August 29th, 2008, 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

joerunner

Re: Eagle Creek-Tanner Butte Loop 8/13/08 - 8/15/08

Post by joerunner » August 26th, 2008, 4:13 pm

For beginners that was one aggressive hike. Nice job and thanks for the informative report. I did that one last year and found holding the trail between eagle creek and tanner butte to be challenging at times.

MarkInTheDark

Post by MarkInTheDark » August 26th, 2008, 7:49 pm

Great review. I haven't done that loop yet, really appreciate the information about your trip!

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » August 26th, 2008, 9:19 pm

Great report, Cub - you've got some nice in-laws, there! :)

-Tom

JosephSamuel

Post by JosephSamuel » August 27th, 2008, 11:52 am

Wow! Very ambitious for beginners. I've been up to Tanner Butte and it is no walk in the park. Nice work.

:!: :!:

Arioto

Post by Arioto » August 27th, 2008, 1:33 pm

Thanks, it was an experience, but it was awesome!

chameleon

Post by chameleon » August 27th, 2008, 6:43 pm

Great Job CubFan! I'm glad you finally got to do the whole thing - you earned it! You've seen that trail in all kinds of weather now, huh?! Great trip - thanks for sharing it!
-Zach

POL Chief

Post by POL Chief » August 28th, 2008, 3:42 am

Cub Fan, That was quite a hike. Looking back I'm glad we did it.
Dad

Beer Town Bill

Post by Beer Town Bill » January 16th, 2009, 7:30 pm

Great Trip!! I did it twice this past summer - once as an overnight and once as a day trip - but in a counterclockwise fashion. Full report here (http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... f=8&t=1262). I don't think I would want to go the direction you did - the trail from Tanner to Eagle Creek is bad enough without having to be climbing as well. :twisted: