Exploring the High Desert with a 5 year old 8/19-8/22

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
cfm

Exploring the High Desert with a 5 year old 8/19-8/22

Post by cfm » August 24th, 2008, 8:23 am

Evan and I took a trip this week to the Ft Rock/Summer Lake area for some fun in the lava lands.

The first night we stayed at Pine Mountain south of Bend, where my friend is the manager of the Pine Mountain Observatory. When we arrived, there was a fire on the true summit from a lightning strike the previous evening. The observatory is actually on a lower ridge and was not under immediate threat from the fire. This peak is popular for hang-gliders and is known as the paraport. Here you can see a plane approaching to drop some retardant:

Firefighters soon arrived to put out the small spots and guard the periphery. When we felt confident the fire was under control, we took a ride to nearby East Butte to visit a friend who was staffing the fire tower. From here we could see several active fires in the area.

The next day had an inauspicious start:

The roads are rough out there! After changing the tire, I had to drive back in to Bend and I ended up getting four new tires. We finally made it to Ft Rock, which looks best viewed from a distance:

Then we spent the night in a cabin at Summer Lake:

OK, I guess it's not an actual lake, more of an alkali flat ringed with marshes, but it does fill with water in the wet season. That's winter Rim above it, and you can hike the Fremont trail along the top(we didn't), just be prepared to share your trail with cows.

Evan's favorite place was "Crack in the Ground" which is over a mile long, what a hoot!:

We also visited the Devil's Garden and Derrick's Cave, which is a lava tube like the Ape Cave. It's not as long, only about 1/4 mile, but the lava lands above the cave were dotted with a bunch of other little caves, and crazy jumbled lava features. Here's a really cool hole we came upon:
Hard to tell in the picture, but the hole above is about 20 feet deep, 150 feet across and the Pondy in the middle was huge!

Splatter Cone:

We ate at the Cowboy Dinner Tree near Silver Lake, which I recommend for the novelty only:

We camped near Hager Mountain and hiked up the next morning. This hike is described in Sullivan's 100 hikes of Eastern Oregon. We took the easiest of the three routes which involved about a mile hike gaining 800 feet. It was a steep hike for Evan bent he was pretty happy when we got out of the trees:

Hager mountain also has a staffed lookout, and the lady up there told us her southern views had been obscured for a month from the California fires. This day was spectacular offering views of Winter Rim to the East, Fremont NF to the south, Mt Scott, Thielsen and Diamond Peak in the west, and the flat desert and lavalands to the north:

We also visited Bald Butte which has a rentable lookout building:

More pictures here

Cattrapper

Re: Exploring the High Desert with a 5 year old 8/19-8/22

Post by Cattrapper » August 24th, 2008, 6:24 pm

Great TR CFM! Love those lookouts too, one of my favorite things to do is visit lookout sites, current and historic. Just wish I got to do it more. Summer Lake looks like an interesting place. Did you explore the lake bed and marshes at all? I really like your pano of Ft. Rock, I'm guessing you got a little geocaching in on this trip too.

Thanks for sharing,
Darin
"Come visit us again and again. This is a state of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't move here to live." Tom McCall

fettster

Post by fettster » August 25th, 2008, 8:03 am

Boy, that's pretty exciting actually getting to see some fires from the lookout. I enjoyed seeing new views on places I've seen on TV on Oregon Field Guide. Did you see what took out the tire?

backcountryhunter

Post by backcountryhunter » August 25th, 2008, 7:11 pm

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...................there is nothing like the desert!!!

I am so envious!!

Yes a couple of spare tires is a good idea.

Great trip report I can see the youngster had fun.

cheers

Tony

sparklehorse

Post by sparklehorse » August 27th, 2008, 12:38 am

Nice report and photos CFM, thanks! Looks like fun. Did you happen to get over to Christmas Valley for the sand dunes, the Lost Forest and the Backscatter Array? I love that part of the state, gotta get back over there soon.
G
You have to milk the cow a lot to make a bit of cheese.
~Henri Cartier-Bresson

Smugmug / Facebook

cfm

Post by cfm » August 27th, 2008, 9:24 am

Cattrapper, there are lots of caches out there, it's hard to choose. We did one that took us to multiple waypoints in The Devils Garden that was a blast because it showcased so many cool lava features- little caves, big holes, crazy formations, and we never did find the cache box at the end, oh well.

Fettster, I don't know what caused the flat, but the tire guy found a nail in one of the other tires, so I was lucky to get back to town with only one deflation. It was very comforting to know that I had all new tires while driving around those roads for the next three days.

Hey Gordon, No I didn't get to any of those places, I had Lost Forest and Fossil Lake on my list, but I'll have to come back another time. I also missed the Worlds Largest Juniper which is near Derrick Cave. Is the Backscatter Array some sort of radar facility? I think PMOguy mentioned it, is it part of the (Star Wars) SDI?

Two other highlights of the trip: We got chased down and harrased by an angry rancher when we mistakenly trespassed on private property, and we got naked at the Summer Lake Hotsprings with a bunch of people heading down to the Burning Man festival.

JosephSamuel

Post by JosephSamuel » August 27th, 2008, 11:32 am

I had a similar, gravel road caused flat when I visited nearby Hart Mountain years ago. I had to drive to Lakeview on my 'dinker' spare for a new one. I expect the desert Les Schwabs see a lot non-4x4's with blown tires from the roads.

Great pictures, especially of Summer Lake and of Evan roping that ferocious looking hay bale! :)

sparklehorse

Post by sparklehorse » August 27th, 2008, 5:18 pm

cfm wrote:Is the Backscatter Array some sort of radar facility? I think PMOguy mentioned it, is it part of the (Star Wars) SDI?
Hi CFM! Yeah, it is (or was) a HUGE radar installation over in the Christmas Valley area. Here's a shot of it from space.

It's a Cold War relic, but I don't think it was part of Star Wars. It was built in the 1980's to detect approaching Soviet missiles far out over the Pacific. It functioned as the transmitter, the receiver facility was located in California and the command center was in Idaho. But shortly after it was completed the Cold War ended and the facility was mothballed. I just read at Wikipedia that it was largely dismantled last year, so not sure how much is left to see. When I saw it in the mid '90s it looked like a perfect "Area 51" type location for an episode of the X-Files. This page shows what it sorta looks like from the ground, though it doesn't capture the scale of it.

According to The Bend Bulletin it sounds like the facility may become a hub for solar and geothermal energy production. So that's cool. I'm thinking I'll plan a trip over there in the spring and see what's going on.

G
You have to milk the cow a lot to make a bit of cheese.
~Henri Cartier-Bresson

Smugmug / Facebook