Mt Defiance (Starvation Ridge) 09-Feb-2011

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Timberwolf

Re: Mt Defiance (starvation Ridge) 09-Feb-2011

Post by Timberwolf » February 10th, 2011, 5:38 pm

Argh! Those photos and trip report are great!! I'm jealous. There's no way I can get weekdays off right now. I've been hiking every weekend and its been rainy! Neahkahnie Mt was a steady drizzle on Sunday and wherever I go this weekend will probably be the same. At least I have your photos! :D
Dulcius ex asperis.

Guy

Post by Guy » February 10th, 2011, 6:49 pm

Van, you have a seemingly uncanny knack of never missing a Sunny Winters Day.....

I've hiked 3 times so far this year & haven't seen even a hint of the Sun! (But then this time of year it's Sundays or Noday for me!)

Great pics as always!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » February 10th, 2011, 7:53 pm

Nice use of your "sick" day and great pics! Amazing the lack of snow this time of year - looks like we may get a good dumping next week, though.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » February 11th, 2011, 7:17 am

Don Nelsen wrote:Nice use of your "sick" day and great pics! Amazing the lack of snow this time of year - looks like we may get a good dumping next week, though.

dn
I haven't yet come close to amortizing the cost of my new snowshoes so here's hoping we get some real snow below pass level next week!

drm

Post by drm » February 11th, 2011, 8:19 am

VanMarmot wrote:I haven't yet come close to amortizing the cost of my new snowshoes so here's hoping we get some real snow below pass level next week!
Same issue for my $40 Washington Sno Park season pass. But they say that snow levels will come down to 1-2000 feet by the middle of next week with plenty of moisture. I expect a post from weathercrazy any moment now . . .

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » February 11th, 2011, 6:13 pm

VanMarmot wrote:
I haven't yet come close to amortizing the cost of my new snowshoes so here's hoping we get some real snow below pass level next week!
Same here, only been out once with my new snow shoes in December right before the big warm up!

Can't wait for what this week may bring to the higher elevations :)

Crusak

Post by Crusak » February 12th, 2011, 5:21 am

Eric Peterson wrote:
VanMarmot wrote:
Same here, only been out once with my new snow shoes in December right before the big warm up!

That makes at least three of us - I got my first pair of snowshoes last month for my birthday, and snow boots. They're still in brand-new, pristine condition. I really need to get out & give those things a good showing. Let it snow!
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

TJD

Post by TJD » February 17th, 2011, 8:18 pm

I always thought this hike both ways kind of gets a bad rap 90% of it is classic gorge hiking .

Thanks for sharing hope you feel better :lol:

Did not know anything about the break ins this has always been a safe spot in my mind.

Tom

TJD

Post by TJD » February 17th, 2011, 8:33 pm

Eric Peterson wrote:
VanMarmot wrote:

Not a snowshoe guy but I love to downhill ski have not been yet. Holidays are to crazy and Cascade cement or the rain makes it tough to shell out the money got my sights on this weekend though.

Tom