Deschutes River 11/13/2010

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
geographics

Re: Deschutes River 11/13/2010

Post by geographics » November 20th, 2010, 6:17 pm

Last edited by geographics on January 1st, 2012, 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roy

Post by Roy » November 20th, 2010, 10:06 pm

retired jerry wrote:A week ago I spent several days hiking down the Deschutes River from Mack's Canyon, as in the field guide.

I like this area because of the wide open scenery, but especially I like it because it's in the Cascades rain shadow - it rained a little 2 of 5 days I was there, but in Portland it rained all 5 days.

I noticed this sign at Mack's Canyon campground - California Bighorn Sheep introduced 1993, previously died out in the early 1900's because of diseases from domestic sheep and hunting:
014.JPG
I saw some on the other side of the river. I talked to a fisherman who said they were on the cliff above me but I couldn't see them - maybe I was too close to the cliff which blocked the view higher up.

I saw about a dozen fishing boats over 5 days:
025.JPG
The trail follows this old railroad grade with nice views of the river:
027.JPG
Deer bones:
030.JPG
Old Harris Homestead:
040.JPG
My new tarp - 3 ounces poles, 1 ounces stakes, 5.5 ounce tarp - only problem is the foot end of my sleeping bag is uncovered and it's not real wind resistant:
041.JPG
Snake:
056.JPG
You have start to posting TR's more often your experience and the equipment you use always intrigues me and everything else is good to. Just a suggestion

A good friend of mine who loves overnight trips and long ones he really enjoys when you post. .

Roy today.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Charley

Post by Charley » November 21st, 2010, 12:21 am

Crusak wrote:
Charley wrote:I hike ultralight, Jerry, and I use a tarp every time I go backpacking (unless it doesn't look like rain- then I cowboy camp like you do). But that homemade tarp. . . man. . . that's tiny! You got courage!
The Deschutes River trail looks like fun hiking. I know friends who have spent some time on it, but I've never been there. Looks like a great trail to do in late fall.

I use a sil-nylon tarp, but it's 10x12. I think it weighs just over a pound. I'm a big guy, so I figure I can use the extra space. The only time I've used a tent in the past 5 years was August 2009 when I took my family on their first (and likely last) backpacking trip. :cry:

Charley and Jerry: have either of you ever had any issues with snakes or other pests snuggling up with you at night? I haven't had that problem myself, but I've wondered if anyone else has. Worst I've had was a very large frog that hopped up and introduced himself at 2am, almost face to face with me.
Not yet! Knock on wood. A friend of a friend did get bit sleeping out one night, though (no tarp, just didn't bother to set up his tent at night). I think it's possible, but statistically unlikely. Rather like the chance of getting bit in general. I would only consider using a tent in very cold weather, when it would make sleeping easier.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 21st, 2010, 7:08 am

Roy wrote: You have start to posting TR's more often your experience and the equipment you use always intrigues me and everything else is good to. Just a suggestion
I almost always post TR, except when there have been several other recent reports for the same location :)

baker9903

Post by baker9903 » November 21st, 2010, 11:08 pm

thanks for sharing your trip. my husband and i usually spend quite a bit of time out there starting in january when we are sick of the rain and need some clear (and usually sunny) cold weather. i'm not sure if we'll be up for any overnight trips this year due to the new little one, but i assure you we'll be out there for at least several day trips. hopefully we'll see some sheep. i've never seen them along the deschutes (only seen them once actually, along I-84 east of the john day river).

Roy

Post by Roy » November 21st, 2010, 11:09 pm

retired jerry wrote:
Roy wrote: You have start to posting TR's more often your experience and the equipment you use always intrigues me and everything else is good to. Just a suggestion
I almost always post TR, except when there have been several other recent reports for the same location :)
Any way my friend is a lurker we work together and he loves back packing. And has mentioned you before and said he was very impressed with your work on the the field guide.

Not a the dual personalty lunatic like me although he is the one that nick named me Roy.

Tom for the holidays ;)
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 22nd, 2010, 7:02 am

baker9903 - I remember seeing you, husband, and dog there a couple years ago

Tom/Roy - I'm glad the field guide is useful. It's amazing what a small group of us can do in our spare time.

I don't think I'de want to be Tom at this time of year, Roy is better :)

cubaricho

Post by cubaricho » November 22nd, 2010, 8:48 pm

This looks like a really awesome hike, thanks.

Jane

Post by Jane » November 22nd, 2010, 11:42 pm

retired jerry wrote:
I don't think I'd want to be Tom at this time of year, Roy is better :)

lol- funny one Jerry ;) gobble gobble

Roy

Post by Roy » November 23rd, 2010, 10:49 pm

Jane wrote:
retired jerry wrote:
I don't think I'd want to be Tom at this time of year, Roy is better :)

lol- funny one Jerry ;) gobble gobble
I guess I will stay out of woods till the holidays pass they way I am put together I could feed all of Cannon Beach on Thanks Giving :lol: