Green Point Mtn / North Lake 10-Sept-2010

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Green Point Mtn / North Lake 10-Sept-2010

Post by VanMarmot » September 11th, 2010, 7:10 am

Friday I did a loop from Wyeth campground up to Green Point Mountain on the ridge trail (418) with a return via North Lake. The weather forecast suggested that the clouds might clear by early afternoon but that didn’t prove to be the case. It stayed cloudy almost all day and was actually quite chilly on the mountain – gloves & hat weather. Ah, summer, where have thou charms gone? Based on what others have posted (and the weather), I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised to see fall colors breaking out at many points along the Wyeth trail.

It was good to see that some recent trail maintenance had finally removed the large fallen tree that was a regular feature across the trail for several years, just before the old wilderness register. Thanks to whoever did this!

From the summit, the view of Hood was non-existent (yet it was sunny in the Hood River Valley just a few short miles away),

but I did get to see Rainy Lake and Mt. Defiance. With a La Niña weather pattern building, the next time I see or hike Defiance, it’ll likely be covered with snow.

The 423 trail from the ridge down to North Lake was a new experience but the lake was its usual charming self.

I knew that North Lake is not “natural” in that it has a dam, but this was the first time I bothered to go see it.

Pretty basic affair, with no evident headworks. Does anyone know what purpose (other than to make a nice hiking/backpacking destination) this dam was supposed to serve?

Good hike (16 mi RT, 4600’) despite the lack of sun. Perversely, the sun came out just in time for the drive home...

Splintercat

Re: Green Point Mtn / North Lake 10-Sept-2010

Post by Splintercat » September 14th, 2010, 7:04 am

Great photos, as always -- and good questions about the dam, Van. I've always figured it was a relic of the CCC era, and it wouldn't have been unusual (at the time) to simply create a larger lake where a meadow or small lake existed for the recreation/fishing benefit (like Trillium Lake). In this case, there doesn't seem to be a waterworks or agricultural interest -- whereas Badger Lake was raised several feet by a water district for storage. Interesting! Whatever the case, the resulting lake is a beauty.

Love the fall colors -- we're into my favorite season, and I'm thinking that in about 2-3 weeks, North Lake will be looking pretty nice in fall colors, too!

Tom :)

mayhem

Re: Green Point Mtn / North Lake 10-Sept-2010

Post by mayhem » September 22nd, 2010, 6:11 pm

I really like the pic of Defiance...so tempting :)
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!