Around Mississippi Head & Zigzag Canyon, 9/2/10

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
adamschneider

Around Mississippi Head & Zigzag Canyon, 9/2/10

Post by adamschneider » September 4th, 2010, 3:18 pm

This route was dreamed up last year while approaching the end of a hike from Timberline Lodge to Paradise Park and back. That's a nice hike, but having to climb uphill 1400 feet at the end of the day, after already walking about 10 miles, is just awful. I wondered whether it might be possible to travel up and over Zigzag Canyon and then DESCEND to Timberline Lodge. Sure, it's a bit more climbing overall (3300' from the Zigzag River to the top of the canyon), but I'd have fresher legs during the ascent, and it looked like a fun alpine adventure.
map.jpg
So I set out from Timberline Lodge at about 11:00 on Thursday. It was sunny and fairly warm, but windy: mostly a tailwind for the first couple miles to Zigzag. Fortunately, it had rained quite a bit earlier in the week, which really kept the dust down. If there had been this much wind after two months of no rain at all, I think it would have been pretty hard to take.

After hiking into and back out of Zigzag Canyon, I came to the intersection with the Paradise Park Trail at 5700' elevation, and headed uphill on the faint "user trail" that goes up through some aster-filled meadows:
1 - trail.jpg
Here's a view down the very green side canyon that you cross on your way up to Paradise Park; on the left side, you can see a big dust cloud being kicked up by the east wind:
2 - green valley.jpg
The trail just keeps going up the northwest rim, and eventually up around Mississippi Head:
3 - canyon.jpg
Check out my "trekking pole anemometer"; this photo may have been taken during a particularly strong gust, but even in the calmest moments I swear it was hanging at a 45° angle. I don't really know how to estimate wind speeds, but it had to be in the 30mph range, coming right up out of the canyon. It was MUCH worse when I was walking close to the edge; by staying "inland" a bit, it was more tolerable. But it was almost hard to breathe at times, and tough on the contact lenses.
4 - wind.jpg
This photo shows the summit of Hood, the left side of Mississippi Head, and a tiny fragment of my route (I think):
5 - route.jpg
Mississippi Head from the side:
6 - MS head.jpg
This was actually the first snow patch that I passed. A part of me was tempted to descend into this little draw, but that would have left some steep climbing at the top. Instead, I continued up the ridge on the left, which was probably a good choice:
7 - first snow.jpg
Looking back down on the three "lobes" of Paradise Park:
8 - Paradise Park.jpg
Once I was past Mississippi Head, I felt like I must have been done with the climbing, but the GPS and the map told me I was at about 7000' and still had another thousand feet to climb. Bummer.

This is the one spot where really I had a decision to make. I could have gone up the steep snowfield to the right, and then left along the rocky ridge on the upper-right (red), OR gone in more or less a straight line up the snowfields to the left (purple). I chose to go right.
9 - snowfield.jpg
The rest of the ascent was grueling: not terribly steep, but it was all snow and gravel, and I was tired and windburned. It was just one foot in front of the other, sort of like the last 1/4 mile of the Mt. St. Helens climb.

This next picture is pretty close to the "top" of the trip, about 8000' elevation. I traversed the upper edge of this snowfield, whose bottom drops off into the uppermost reaches of Zigzag Canyon:
10 - canyon.jpg
A view of Hood's summit from 8000':
11 - summit.jpg
As soon as I'd traversed across the top of the canyon, I realized that Timberline Lodge had come back into view. That certainly makes getting home easier:
12 - Timberline.jpg
From that point, I could also see the top of the support posts for the Palmer Lift. Elevation-wise, I was across from the middle of Palmer.

So I just had to decide how I was going to get home; there were no actual trails, so I could choose any route I wanted. I could have gone down the southeast edge of Zigzag, but that would mean extra distance and climbing back to TL Lodge again: no thanks! I also could have traversed over to Palmer and gone straight down from there... but in the end I decided to go down sort of diagonally toward Silcox Hut and the top of the Magic Mile. It was the path of least resistance. I found my way down narrow snowfields like this one:
13 - descent.jpg
For the most part, I was able to jog/run down the snowy patches, hitting 6-7mph at times. (I also tried sliding on/in a heavy-duty trash bag, but without a decent glissade "chute," that was more trouble than it was worth.) So I kept bounding down the snow; with trekking poles, waterproof hiking boots, and summer gaiters, it was downright FUN. So much better than slogging my way back on the Timberline Trail through Little Zigzag Canyon into a headwind... I covered the last 2 miles in under 45 minutes, which included a couple of breaks to shed clothing layers.

Final tally: about 9.5 miles, 3600 feet of elevation gain if you believe Google Earth.
Last edited by adamschneider on September 4th, 2010, 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mayhem

Re: Around Mississippi Head & Zigzag Canyon, 9/2/10

Post by mayhem » September 4th, 2010, 8:15 pm

Nice...Very Nice.
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Excursionista

Post by Excursionista » September 5th, 2010, 1:04 pm

Now that's what I wanted to see! That wind sounds crazy - I don't know if I'll make it up this year but your map and photos show what I need to know and what I'll be getting in to. It's amazing how Mississippi Head looks so close from Paradise, and not very much higher, yet from above... Thanks for the report!

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 6th, 2010, 12:14 am

Excursionista wrote:It's amazing how Mississippi Head looks so close from Paradise, and not very much higher, yet from above... Thanks for the report!
Mississippi Head isn't really all that far from Paradise Park: only about a mile further up, and a bit more than 1000' of elevation. So if you just want a close-up look at the cliffs at the head of the canyon and don't feel the need to go all the way over the top, it's a doable side-trip from PP. Not much farther than going up the ridge from McNeil Point.

G.H. Landon

Post by G.H. Landon » September 6th, 2010, 7:02 am

What is the feasibility of doing a whimpier version of this hike -- taking the magic mile lift to 7,000 feet then ascending to 8,000, crossing over Mississippi Head and descending to Paradise Park, returning the usual way via Zig Zag. How difficult would it be to find a route down to Paradise Park from 8000 feet?

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 6th, 2010, 1:43 pm

G.H. Landon wrote:What is the feasibility of doing a whimpier version of this hike -- taking the magic mile lift to 7,000 feet then ascending to 8,000, crossing over Mississippi Head and descending to Paradise Park, returning the usual way via Zig Zag. How difficult would it be to find a route down to Paradise Park from 8000 feet?
I don't think it would be hard at all. It's all gravel and open terrain up above PP, so you don't need a trail. You could come down along the edge of the canyon like I did, or go down the northern "lobe" of Paradise Park and come out by the big split rock. (I wouldn't go down the middle lobe; it ends in a very steep slope.) Just stay out of Zigzag Canyon itself and you'd be fine.

Just remember that although you'd be saving 1000' overall, your biggest climb would then be at the END of the hike.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » September 6th, 2010, 7:50 pm

Thanks of the info. It is great to see your map and description. I talked to you in that very green draw about 5400' and wondered if you beat us back to the parking lot.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 6th, 2010, 10:58 pm

[email protected] wrote:Thanks of the info. It is great to see your map and description. I talked to you in that very green draw about 5400' and wondered if you beat us back to the parking lot.
I ran into you guys in that valley at about 1:30, and I got back to my car right around 5:00.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 7th, 2010, 2:12 pm

adamschneider wrote:
G.H. Landon wrote:What is the feasibility of doing a whimpier version of this hike -- taking the magic mile lift to 7,000 feet then ascending to 8,000, crossing over Mississippi Head and descending to Paradise Park, returning the usual way via Zig Zag. How difficult would it be to find a route down to Paradise Park from 8000 feet?
I don't think it would be hard at all. It's all gravel and open terrain up above PP, so you don't need a trail. You could come down along the edge of the canyon like I did, or go down the northern "lobe" of Paradise Park and come out by the big split rock. (I wouldn't go down the middle lobe; it ends in a very steep slope.) Just stay out of Zigzag Canyon itself and you'd be fine.

Just remember that although you'd be saving 1000' overall, your biggest climb would then be at the END of the hike.
I've been up to 8000 feet above Mississippi Head from Paradise, and coming back down the way I came I thought it would be difficult finding the route and not going off the edge of the cliff or whatever.

Easier to go up Paradise, then there are many ways to go back down the other side.

Great trip, report, and map Adam!

mayhem

Post by mayhem » October 3rd, 2010, 7:38 am

Thank you For posting on the Forum! A buddy and myself went to check out the view from Mississippi head on 9/25/10. A co-worker heard us talking and said his friend was skiing up there and found some plane wreckage on the head, so, we used a similar loop for a 10/2/10 crash site investigation.

Thanks again, Trail Friend :)
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!