Washed out in the Wallowas

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
jalepeno

Washed out in the Wallowas

Post by jalepeno » August 31st, 2010, 10:30 am

I arrived in Joseph on Saturday, August 28th, intending to do a six day loop of the West Fork of the Wallowa River to the Lakes Basin and then out by Glacier Lake, with time for exploration and scrambling. The weather we encountered was unusual to say the least.

After a pleasant picnic beside the Columbia in Arlington, the weather deteriorated the further east we drove. By the time we reached Joseph, it was raining and 41 degrees! My friend, who had arrived a day early and waiting for us to arrive, had been totally soaked from rain and snow on his day hike up to Aneroid Lake.

That night we stayed in Chandler's Inn, a highly recommended B & B in Joseph, and headed down to Terminal Gravity in Enterprise for dinner. The Imperial IPA made not getting out on day one almost worth it.

On Sunday, the weather was unsettled early but better, so we headed out for a day hike into McCully Basin, where I have skied in winter. It was cold. Once we reached six thousand feet, we were in snow. Deadfalls and snow turned us around about 7800 ft. Back to Chandler's and Terminal Gravity for the night.

Day three, Monday, the weather looked worse, cycling around a low in Idaho. It was 45 degrees in Joseph. But we wanted to at least try and started hiking on the West Fork trail during a lull in the rain. About half way in to Six Mile Meadow, the skies opened up. We had a confab near the remains of the destroyed Ice Lake Bridge (very impressive) and decided to bag it. The prospect of dry weather on Tuesday or Wednesday did not look good. Being wet, cold and not able to see the peaks for the next several days did not appeal to any of us.

We arrived home about eleven, disappointed but not unhappy. We will have to try again another year.
Attachments
lower McCully trail.jpg
Where we first hit snow
Pt.9128.jpg
blue sky for a minute on day 2
snow in McCully.jpg
snow near turnaround at 7800 ft.

fettster

Re: Washed out in the Wallowas

Post by fettster » August 31st, 2010, 2:19 pm

Wow, that second photo is quite the juxtaposition, fresh green meadown with a smattering of snow. That would be a bit of a bummer if looking for some nice summer hiking. Did you get a picture of that bridge?

Jamesp

Post by Jamesp » August 31st, 2010, 5:11 pm

Any reason to go to Terminal Gravity works for me. :D

jley

Post by jley » August 31st, 2010, 6:18 pm

Jamesp wrote:Any reason to go to Terminal Gravity works for me. :D
Any trip I take out there has to be planned around the required TG visit...

Bummer about the trip... That's a lot of driving. But, sometimes it happens... Most of us have been there. I got rained out there a couple years ago, so we headed to palouse falls to check that out. Not much hiking, but a really cool waterfall!