Paradise Park (8/29/10)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxflowergirl

Paradise Park (8/29/10)

Post by pdxflowergirl » August 30th, 2010, 12:39 pm

Well, the wildflower display up at Paradise Park is definitely winding down for the summer. Some lupine left, but mostly purple asters sprinkling the slopes. I did seem some rare ice flowers :lol: Looks like winter has already returned to Mt. Hood!

The trail traffic was mostly backpackers returning from a cold, rainy night. Some looked tired and ready for a hot toddy at the lodge, while others seemed to have high spirits. Was surprised at how cold the air temps were. Crossing the Zig Zag River was not too challenging due to low water, but watch out as the current was still strong. There is a new tree down across the trail just as you enter Paradise Park from the hiker only trail. It's quite large, but folks have created an alternate path just below it. No bugs!

Clouds were in and out the entire day. We did manage a good glimpse of Mt. Hood as we returned to the Timberline ski area. A wonderful autumn-like day on a classic alpine hike. I never get tired of this one...even with all the people.

As an anecdote, we forgot to get sandwiches for lunch (doh!). So for the entire hike, we had a 1/2 of a biscuit w/sausage, egg, and cheese from Pine State and a LaraBar. The last mile was a struggle, and I consoled myself by thinking about the mounds of spaghetti and meatballs I could consume at Paola's in Sandy. When chewing the second to last piece of gum, I felt like Violet Beauregard in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, wishing that it were a hot meal! Fortunately there was a vending machine in the lodge, and a bag of Fritos tided me over until dinner in Sandy...as the other option was a $22 cheeseburger in the restaurant. It did boast white truffle oil...but $22???

Zig Zag overlook on the way to Paradise Park

Zig Zag overlook on the way back to Timberline

crossing the Zig Zag

Paradise Park

last of the Pasque

rare ice flowers! :D

view at Paradise Park

Mt. Hood starting to peek out

ta-da!
Kam

retired jerry

Re: Paradise Park (8/29/10)

Post by retired jerry » August 30th, 2010, 1:48 pm

Nice report, love this time of year.

There is a stream between Zigzag canyon overlook and the Hidden Lake trail.

Do you remember of there is still water in it?

pdxflowergirl

Post by pdxflowergirl » August 30th, 2010, 2:02 pm

Jerry: All of the seasonal melt-off streams along the trail were bone dry. But I did see a few patches of snow lingering around Paradise Park.

Do you know why there are sticks "blocking" off the trail to Hidden Lake? Wasn't sure if the trail was in bad condition, or if folks were trying not to confuse hikers trying to stay on the Timberline Trail?
Kam

BigBear

Post by BigBear » August 30th, 2010, 2:26 pm

I don't know if it's the angle of the camera or the angle of the dog, but in your third photo it looks like your dog is about to chase a squirrel over the edge of Zig Zag Canyon. You may want to pull back on that invisible leash before his 800 foot gravel surf to the river below.

As far as the sticks, I do not remember any sticks from two weeks earlier, so it might be something placed at the junction for lagging members of the group. I know in the heat of that hot day I climbed back out of Zig Zag Canyon to Little Zig Zag, I was dragging.

On that particular day (97 degrees), I did have an answer to that question: who'd by a $2.75 Coke of the machine at Timberline Lodge? It was reminiscent of the $2 can of Pepsi at Granite Park Chalet in Glacier 7 miles out on the garden Wall.

pdxflowergirl

Post by pdxflowergirl » August 30th, 2010, 2:40 pm

BigBear: It's definitely the angle. Not as steep in that section as it appears in the photo. But Max is 1/2 mountain goat :lol:
Kam

Excursionista

Post by Excursionista » August 30th, 2010, 3:19 pm

pdxflowergirl wrote:It's definitely the angle. Not as steep in that section as it appears in the photo
I went all the way to Paradise Park a week ago, and to the overlook yesterday, and the distances and angles are deceiving. At 6000ft and in open country, it's really hard for me to determine distances and elevations by sight. I need lactic acid and labored breathing to figure it out. I wanted to scout out the route to Mississippi Head but a late start and the weather conspired against me, and I only ended up climbing some ways above the overlook. It doesn't appear to be steep, but it goes up really fast!

Too bad we didn't run into each other on the trail!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 30th, 2010, 3:32 pm

Excursionista wrote:I wanted to scout out the route to Mississippi Head
I have got to do that loop around Mississippi Head.

It seems really difficult, but I think when you're actually doing it it's not that bad.

I've gone half way from Paradise, just a bit tricky getting up to Mississippi Head.

Better to go that way, I think, than from the Zigzag Overlook.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 30th, 2010, 3:32 pm

Excursionista wrote:I wanted to scout out the route to Mississippi Head
I have got to do that loop around Mississippi Head.

It seems really difficult, but I think when you're actually doing it it's not that bad.

I've gone half way from Paradise, just a bit tricky getting up to Mississippi Head.

Better to go that way, I think, than from the Zigzag Overlook.

Excursionista

Post by Excursionista » August 30th, 2010, 3:55 pm

Jerry, my thoughts exactly. You'd want good weather and it would be easier to ascend from Paradise and descend at Zigzag because you'd start higher and be able to route-find on the way down. Most of the time I get to Paradise Park and just want to relax and soak it in, but one of these days...

pdxflowergirl

Post by pdxflowergirl » August 30th, 2010, 4:03 pm

Jason and Jerry: I was scouting out that trail from the overlook, wondering where it went. Also, while climbing back up from Zig Zag canyon, I was wondering why there isn't a trail above the tree line that skirts the mountain between Timberline and Paradise Park. I was inspired by my recent adventure down the backside of Eagle Cap over to Glacier Lake. So the Mississippi Head is this type of route, it would avoid having to up and down through the river canyon?

Jason: What time were you at the overlook? We were there around noon the first time and then 4:30p on the return trip.
Kam