Hardy Ridge 6/17/08

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
cfm

Hardy Ridge 6/17/08

Post by cfm » June 19th, 2008, 7:05 am

Don Nelson reported on this area recently, and last year Sparklehorse posted a great TR, bu I couldn't dig up either for reference.

To Get There: The Hardy Ridge Loop route is located in Beacon Rock State Park. Normally you would start from the Equestrian trailhead on Kupfer road, but the lower portion of that trail is closed, so you need to begin on the Hamilton Mountain trail. After passing Rodney Falls, fork left onto the Hardy Creek trail until you get to the picnic area, then turn left again on the Equestrian trail and travel a half mile to the East Hardy Ridge trail.

This side of the park is open to horses and cyclists, so it is mostly gravel road in the forest:
At the end of the dirt road, the well established single track up to the top of the ridge begins:
The top:
The wildflowers are pretty good right now. Although it doesn't have the spectacular displays of balsamroot and lupine you would find further east, there are many little meadows peppered with a rainbow of dainty red, blue white and yellows:
A trail traverses north to the true summit of the ridge gives great views of the Gorge, Table Mountain and Hamilton. It was pretty cloudy today, but warm, a slight breeze, no bugs, and absolute solitude, so after my lunch on top, I had a short nap before heading back down.
The west side connector trail is new and has not been used much:
Except by this critter( I saw about five piles like this):
A great day- wildflowers, solitude, a nap , and I found 5$ in the parking lot on my return!
More pictures here

jeffstatt

Re: Hardy Ridge 6/17/08

Post by jeffstatt » June 19th, 2008, 9:13 am

Thanks for the reminder on this trail. I've been meaning to do this for a while. So really the "normal" approach is closed? Any idea why?

I've been up Hamilton a few times so I'm trying to picture where the junction is. Are you going up to the split in the Hamilton Mountain trail between the steep and moderate sections and following the moderate trail up to where in crosses the equestrian gravel road? If so, Hardy Ridge and Hamilton might make a cool two-for-one special

Don Nelsen

Re: Hardy Ridge 6/17/08

Post by Don Nelsen » June 19th, 2008, 5:09 pm

Hi cfm,

Thanks for the report and the pics. Nice to see its finally melted out!

Jeff,

The "normal" way in is "closed" due to a minor washout on the road not far uphill from the horse camp. Frankly, I think they are just being lazy about this as you could easily get a car around the washout and certainly a hiker or even a horse. Also, the washout occured over a year and half ago and has not gotten worse since so there's no excuse not to fix it (except possibly finances.)

Here's the sign they have posted at the gate to the horse camp trailhead.

But what are "Bicyles"!? :-)
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller