Rainy/North/Bear Lakes + Mt. Defiance 07-July-2010

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Don Nelsen

Re: Rainy/North/Bear Lakes + Mt. Defiance 07-July-2010

Post by Don Nelsen » July 10th, 2010, 7:02 pm

Paul wrote:Nice! This is usually a JUne hike for me, what crazy snow levels!

Never been to Bear lake, are there any campsites there?
There are three good ones close to the lake on the north side. It's a nice little lake and isolated enough that I'd bet you would be the sole camper.

Here's a photo from a couple of weeks ago - that's the west face of Mt. Defiance on the far side:

Here's a map with a couple of the campsites noted. There is at least one other and maybe more I didn't notice.

Don

Paul, PS, Here's my heart rate monitor track and elevation track for the whole hike up Wyeth, past North Lake, over to Bear lake and back. Also, the elevation profile. The two don't match up perfectly because the scale on one is time and the other is distance but my pace was very consistant so they are very close. I didn't get the same unit you got but opted for a basic one that would save the data and interface wirelessly with the computer. Pretty neat tool to track what's going on! I'm logging a bunch of hikes and will match up the tracks from time to time to judge fitness levels. Is technology neat, or what!

-Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

mayhem

Post by mayhem » July 10th, 2010, 11:02 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:Wow, this area has suddenly become much more popular! I was up there six times in the past month logging GPS data - thanks to mayhem's question about a route from Defiance to Wahtum (thank you very much for the incentive, mayhem).

Great pics and report, VanMarmot!

BTW, in six hikes and over seventy miles I never saw even one mosquito and I circled Bear, North and Rainy as far as I could. Lucky me!

Don
Don,
You Rock!! Any new GPS data of the area? I know I can do just about any hike in any condition and any distance but I have Spatial awareness issuses :)
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

mayhem

Post by mayhem » July 11th, 2010, 4:23 pm

mayhem wrote:
Don Nelsen wrote:Wow, this area has suddenly become much more popular! I was up there six times in the past month logging GPS data - thanks to mayhem's question about a route from Defiance to Wahtum (thank you very much for the incentive, mayhem).

Great pics and report, VanMarmot!

BTW, in six hikes and over seventy miles I never saw even one mosquito and I circled Bear, North and Rainy as far as I could. Lucky me!

Don
Don,
You Rock!! Any new GPS data of the area? I know I can do just about any hike in any condition and any distance but I have Spatial awareness issuses :)

Boy did I prove that today :) I made it to Warren lake in 1.5 hours but got a bit lost....what a jack wagon!! but still made it to the top in 2hrs 41 minutes.
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!