Valley of the Giants - 8-June-2008

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.

Have you visited the Valley of the Giants?

Yes
14%
No
67%
Never even heard of it
19%

Total votes: 21

jley

Valley of the Giants - 8-June-2008

Post by jley » June 18th, 2008, 8:24 pm

This one has been buzzing around in the back of my mind for some time. A 47-acre patch of old growth in a landscape of otherwise sculpted and denuded hillsides in the coast range.

The directions to this tiny gem are a bit daunting. If you look at a map of the area it is a rat's next of interweaving squiggles. But, the reality on the ground is much much simpler. From Falls City (west of Salem), head south/west on Bridge Street out of town. You pretty much stay on this main road - numbered 100 - the whole way. The only turn worth noting is the only one not marked with a "VOG" carsonite BLM post, and it's the only turn we missed (which led to a ~15 mile wild goose chase, made worse by bad advice from a local). Anyway, about 23-something miles from Falls City, road 100 veers right and slightly uphill (the "main road" keeps going straight). Go to the right, and continue following "VOG" posts that continue a bit further down the road. The road is in good shape, despite what some guidebooks & other info suggest. There is only a little bit of a muddy area right near the end (where a tree fell). But, a flat tire is a real possibility - have a spare.

The trail is only about 1.5 miles. It's not exactly level, but hardly difficult. I'd hoped for cloudy weather so I could take some photos of the big trees... Alas, it was nothing but clear blue skies. What a bummer. I only managed one mediocre shot here:

Bottom line? It's a really long way to drive for such a short hike, but I would like to get back with the right conditions just for the photographic opportunities. Plus, it's just an interesting site to see, and a reflection of our priorities as humans. 47 acres is all that's left of the original millions... I know we all need wood, but we need forests like this one too. 47 acres? that's it? And we're still eliminating old growth too - in Alaska, British Columbia.. not to mention many other parts of the world.

One thing - save this one for the weekends. The main road is through private land, and during the week it's closed for frequent logging activity.

-Jonathan

cfm

Re: Valley of the Giants - 8-June-2008

Post by cfm » June 18th, 2008, 8:41 pm

HI Jonathan,

I recently lived in that area, and have visited Valley of the Giants about five times. It pains me every time I go back to see more clearcuts enroute. In my pre-child, ultra running days, I used to train off of Valsetz road regulalry and explored many of those little side roads you passed on the way out to VG. There are some old growth remnant parcels out there that still remain - these are on the patches of public land designated as spotted owl habitat, or set aside as an ACEC (Areas of Critical Environmental Concern). Closer in to Falls City is a whole section of BLM that has never been cut. Right in my old neighborhood on Tater Hill is small ACEC of old growth known as "Little Sink" that has some massive trees. The forest surrounding the headwaters of the Little Luckiamute in the area of Fanno Ridge and Fanno Bog are still in good condition. If you are interested in any of these places on your next trip, let me know and I can give you exact directions and coordinates.

-Jen
big little.jpg
I think this might be the same tree as Pablo's post below!
Last edited by cfm on June 21st, 2008, 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » June 18th, 2008, 9:35 pm

Glad to see someone use the poll feature! Good idea for a poll. It'll be fun to incorporate these more.

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » June 18th, 2008, 10:08 pm

This one I've been wanting to do since I first heard about it-when I was 10. I've never been. Thanks for making my day! It's good to know somebody got there and at least got one "mediocre" photo that looks pretty nice to me.

It's also good to know the directions aren't as much of a bear as they seem to be on paper.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

Rollin

Post by Rollin » June 19th, 2008, 9:31 am

I can't wait to go.
Last edited by Rollin on September 19th, 2008, 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » June 19th, 2008, 12:16 pm

Some history on this spot: it was discovered by Maynard Drawson, and documented in his classic "Treasures of Oregon" series in the 1970s. Maynard has long been interested in "champion trees", so this was a natural fit, and he is the main reason that this grove is protected as a preserve of sorts. Maynard is also the explorer who first documented Family Falls and a number of other interesting features in his beloved Oregon Country.

Thanks for the report, Jonathan!

pablo

Post by pablo » June 19th, 2008, 9:18 pm

Nice report on a really unique place. In July of 2004 I spent the better part of a day driving around trying to find this place, was worth it as the trees are really magnificent. In addition to the small acreage managed by BLM seems like there are also several hundred acres surrounding VOG while privately owned was uncut old growth.

--Paul
Attachments
DSC00249.jpg
Big tree in the VOG. 9-10' in diameter.

Delfiin

Post by Delfiin » June 19th, 2008, 9:23 pm

Wow, this really looks like it would be worth checking out. Are there any other spots in the nearby area that could be explored in the same day to make it a better use of the crazy expensive gas in my little car?