Ramona Falls 6/18/08

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxgene

Ramona Falls 6/18/08

Post by pdxgene » June 18th, 2008, 6:40 pm

Here's todays photo journey to Ramona Falls and back on a bright sunny spring Wednesday in the Cascades foothills. There have been crews out working on the trail. There's a pretty easy path to follow through the area wiped out by the 11/06 storm. It's also flagged with blue ribbons to make it easy to follow. When the seasonal bridge is put in it will be here..
FL000001.jpg
I didn't really like the looks of that log so I went a bit farther upstream about 20 yards and found an easier crossing on a bunch of logs all bunched together. Here's an early peek at Mt Hood before I headed into the forest..
FL000004.jpg
Here's the conditions where the loop trail begins. Straight goes up the Sandy, to the left will wind up the creek in the canyon and is a bit longer. I went that way in and out since I know it better and it's much more scenic. Plus the trail meets the creek so many times you can get mis-directed but not really lost.
FL000005.jpg
After this the patches of snow started and I was constantly wondering if I would get much farther. This is the snow at the Ramona Falls / PCT junction area..
FL000006.jpg
And the horse fence before you reach the wilderness sign in box...
FL000007.jpg
And what's left of the wilderness entry box...
FL000008.jpg
But then all of a sudden things opened up and it looked like there hadn't been snow for months...
FL000009.jpg
There were countless little waterfalls as the trail winds along the creek...
FL000010.jpg
Heading up the canyon there was almost no snow and I was starting to think I might actually make it. This was both good and bad as I didn't think I had much chance when I set out this morning and only brought one roll of 100 speed film for the afternoon mountain shots. And there's probably no worse choice I could've made for taking pictures in the forest. D'Oh'
When the trail would wind away from the creek the snow would reappear but I finally crossed the last little creek bridge and knew I was close. Ramona Falls today.
FL000012.jpg
FL000016.jpg
And a few closer up of the power of what normally is more of a light feathery waterfall..
FL000017.jpg
FL000018.jpg
Going back some of those nice sunny footprints were all of a sudden in the shade and had some forest debris in them so I did circle around a few times but it was just a matter of getting redirected and following the creek. The trail would show up eventually. And that 100 speed film worked really nice for the blue sky and Mt Hood as I was heading out...
FL000021.jpg
FL000022.jpg
FL000023.jpg
So you can make it in there though it's still a bit of an adventure. I couldn't have asked for much nicer a day... Yay sun!

jeffstatt

Re: Ramona Falls 6/18/08

Post by jeffstatt » June 18th, 2008, 9:43 pm

Thanks for the update on Ramona Falls. I've gotten a few questions on conditions there over the last week. I can always count on you for some early scouting reports! Love the creek photo btw!

cja

Post by cja » June 20th, 2008, 1:53 am

Ramona Falls Winter001.jpg
Ramona 4/22/08
I'm not at all surprised there's still snow...rather I'm surprised to hear it's hikable already. Two months ago we skied directly from Lolo Pass Road. The Sandy River Crossing was an adventure, but I imagine it's flowing even heavier right now. Thanks for the update. I was just wondering the other day whether it might be open.

Wyeast pal

Post by Wyeast pal » June 21st, 2008, 11:05 pm

And... if you follow the Sandy River Trail downstream below the Ramona Trailhead, much of this lower trail was wiped out by flooding. (this is the section starting at the split rock and going a couple miles to Riley Horse Camp) Some parts the river undercut the trail. In others, the river flowed strongly over the the trail and scoured the landscape leaving no vegetation other than the trees. Flagging marks a route through it. This part looks more recent than the 11/06 flooding. Maybe last December. More problematic to fix than what is upstream of the trailhead.

And... the next time you are at the Ramona Trailhead, head over the old sand piles to the river (300 feet or so) to the Sandy River. Note the newly uncovered "buried forest". Didn't have my camera that day to show you all, but my best guess it that the stumps that got "unburied" were originally buried in the last major debris flow over 200 year ago.