Green Point Mtn - 25-July-08

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Green Point Mtn - 25-July-08

Post by VanMarmot » July 28th, 2008, 7:52 am

I did the Franklin Ridge loop up Larch Mtn on Monday (excellent trail, few hikers, big views of every peak except Jefferson) and, thus emboldened, decided to hike Green Point Mtn on Friday via Wyeth. I've been up the Wyeth Trail numerous times but usually turn around at the saddle. I've always thought this segment was a bit longer than the 3.8 miles quoted in the current guidebooks. The 1995 Geo-Graphics map says 5.3 miles, which seems more right to me. Checking a Lowe guidebook from 1969 shows a shorter (about 4 miles) but much steeper (few switchbacks and grades to 60%(!)) Wyeth Trail that, I've been told, was re-aligned in the early 1990's to its current form - longer with more switchbacks. You can still see traces of the older trail about half-way up the current trail. Along the Wyeth there are a few viewpoints.
Wyeth Tr View.JPG
From the saddle, the 418 or Plateau Cutoff trail heads up and south along a broad forested ridge toward Green Point Mtn. The rail seems to get little use and is sketchy in a few places but not at all hard to follow.
Plateau Cutoff Tr.JPG
It wanders through the forest for almost 3 miles, past two trail junctions, before suddenly opening out on the summit of Green Point Mtn, with views of Hood, Adams, and Defiance.
Mt Hood.JPG
Mt Adams.JPG
Rainey Lk - Mt Defiance.JPG
It was a bit hazy on Friday but the view was still worth the walk. The only people I saw on the trail the whole day were two backpackers who were going up to North Lake as I was descending. Quite a different experience from what greets you when the Larch Mtn trail reaches Multnomah Falls!

pablo

Re: Green Point Mtn - 25-July-08

Post by pablo » July 28th, 2008, 7:02 pm

Nice to see the snow is gone from Defiance and the lake. Was there any snow on the plateau going towards Green Pt. Mtn?

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

JosephSamuel

Post by JosephSamuel » July 29th, 2008, 9:01 am

Hey, thanks for the info and pictures. Green Pt. Mountain is one of the few areas I have not gotten to yet but hope to by this fall.

Joseph

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » July 29th, 2008, 12:53 pm

pablo wrote:Nice to see the snow is gone from Defiance and the lake. Was there any snow on the plateau going towards Green Pt. Mtn?

--Paul
There were two tiny patches of snow along the plateau trail - just reminders of how much snow fell last winter.