Lyle Cherry Orchard - 4/18/10

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
justpeachy

Lyle Cherry Orchard - 4/18/10

Post by justpeachy » April 22nd, 2010, 7:44 pm

Greg and I had planned to do the Lyle Cherry Orchard hike with Friends on April 3, but the weather was total crap and we postponed. We re-scheduled for this past Sunday and the weather was awesome: just the right warmth, no wind, and sunny skies!

We left town early and we were the first car at the trailhead, hitting the trail at 9 a.m. As you may know, the first mile (approximately) of the trail has been realigned, but the new trailhead has no signage at all. There isn't even a "trail closed" sign at the old trailhead at the other end of the parking lot. But we quickly got ourselves onto the new trail and WOW, what a difference. The climb is much easier! You also get to see a lot more wildflowers on the new trail, or at least it seemed that way to me. Here is Greg's list of all the wildflowers we saw.

Here are the boys on the trail ahead of me, in that big meadow after the initial climb.
DSC_0034 copy.jpg

The views started getting more and more expansive the higher we climbed.
DSC_0035 copy.jpg

We started seeing lots of balsamroot and lupine on the hillside. Oh, what a sight for sore eyes!
DSC_0038 copy.jpg

The lupine smelled fantastic!
DSC_0041 copy.jpg
DSC_0047 copy.jpg

More views. Check out the glassy river. It was SO CALM on Sunday. The weather was perfect!
DSC_0050 copy.jpg

Here is Greg's shot from above, which is much better than mine since he took the time to do it properly. I was only shooting for documentation on Sunday.

At the top we admired the view, and ate our snacks by one of the old cherry trees at the top.
DSC_0055 copy.jpg

Hiking back down took less than an hour since it was all downhill. Woo hoo! What a spectacular spring hike this is.
DSC_0065 copy.jpg
We were wary of ticks, so we had all tucked our pant legs into our socks, wore long sleeves, and tucked our shirts into our pants. Nevertheless, one of our friends got a tick in the back (maybe the tick climbed down from the neck of the shirt?) which we pried out back at the car. Ticks suck. But you knew that.

We ate lunch at the Solstice Woodfire Cafe in Bingen. OH YUM! If you've never been there, I highly recommend it as a post-hike nosh site. The pizza is good, the salads are good, the paninis are good. I haven't ever had anything bad there.

greglief

Re: Lyle Cherry Orchard - 4/18/10

Post by greglief » April 22nd, 2010, 7:54 pm

It is worth repeating... do a thorough tick check when you return to the car, and perhaps another one a few minutes later. Despite a thorough check, shortly after we drove away I noticed a baby tick scrambling up my pant leg. At least it hadn't had time to start biting me, but I was fortunate to have spotted it.

Also, watch out for the poison oak, which is present nearly every step of the way. It can be avoided, but I wouldn't bring dogs on this hike. Ironically, when we ate at the Solstice Woodfire Cafe, we were astounded to see that someone had painted a "portrait" in which the featured subject was poison oak. Seriously.

Greg
Greg Lief
OregonWildflowers.org - locations, trip reports, user forum, et cetera
Greg's Back

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » April 22nd, 2010, 10:08 pm

Lovely photos.

Favorite quote "Ticks suck. But you knew that. "
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Tagman

Post by Tagman » April 23rd, 2010, 12:29 pm

Wow, nice shot. I love the greens!

justpeachy wrote: Here is Greg's shot from above, which is much better than mine since he took the time to do it properly. I was only shooting for documentation on Sunday.

CuriousGorgeGuide

Post by CuriousGorgeGuide » April 25th, 2010, 9:52 am

Cheryl, Greg...thanks for the great report! The new trail alignment is fabulous, isn't it!! It takes all the fear out of the downhill---the fear that you'll slip on all the little ball-bearings and end up on your ass cursing... hahaha. Thanks for the pic of the cherry tree in full bloom...I hadn't ever seen that. We all owe Nancy Russell a debt of gratitude for purchasing and preserving the land. ....scott