Thomas Lake, Indian Heaven

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Thomas Lake, Indian Heaven

Post by drm » July 23rd, 2008, 9:02 am

I decided to go and check out how the melt is going in Indian Heaven. The forest service website said that the Thomas Lake trailhead was accessible, but that you would hit snow soon above. But since Thomas Lake and the others right near by are so close to the trailhead, I though I had a good chance of getting to them.

Unfortunately the consistent good weather left for this one day trip. It was 50 at best at the trailhead yesterday, and foggy. There was no snow for the 15 minute hike in th Thomas Lake.
thomas lake.jpg
Thomas Lake
Campsites are designated here, and I chose the one between Heather and Dee Lakes, which is right across the trail from Thomas Lake. This is at 4300 feet.
camp.jpg
Heather/Dee Lake camp
After waiting for the fog to clear and taking a nap, I hiked further up the trail. I got maybe a mile, to about 4800 feet before the snow was consistently covering the trail before turning back. So these lakes make a nice short backpack, especially when the nice weather returns. But I'm guessing the higher central part of the wilderness, the PCT, Junction Lake, etc, won't be substantially melted out till the second week of August.

Paul

Re: Thomas Lake, Indian Heaven

Post by Paul » July 23rd, 2008, 2:11 pm

Thanks for the update. :)

Were you able to get to Rock lakes?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
- Will Rogers

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » July 23rd, 2008, 2:21 pm

Oh, dear. That means the bugs will be there until mid-September (instead of mid-August) and the huckleberries will ripen in October if they ripen at all!

Martell

Post by Martell » July 23rd, 2008, 2:56 pm

Don't mosquitoes go away after the first cold night of summer? So wouldn't that still come around the same time?

-trying to be optimistic
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

fettster

Post by fettster » July 23rd, 2008, 3:02 pm

drm, with the cool weather were the mosquitoes not an issue then?

smokey

Post by smokey » July 23rd, 2008, 6:27 pm

Please do share how the bug situation is up there. That's my big deterent- in addition to the snow. Nice to see Thomas snow-free, though!

drm

Post by drm » July 23rd, 2008, 6:34 pm

Folks guesses were correct - virtually no mosquitoes. The question is whether a 20 degree warmup would change that quickly. It could be that with the temps in the 40's, they were just hangin' out somewhere. Certainly it won't take long for them to show up.

And not only do they die when the first freeze comes, I think that berry ripening is at least partly triggered by the shorter days, irrespective of when good growing conditions started. So maybe the huckleberries will be ripe at the normal time, but just be smaller because they didn't have as long to grow.

I did not get as far as Rock Lake, though I must have been close.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » July 24th, 2008, 8:04 pm

I noticed lots of heather (as well as huckleberries) in the meadows near Rock Lake when I was up there a couple of years ago (Labor Day weekend, not a good time to be there because it's so crowded). I suspect the heather and the mosquitoes will bloom about the same time. I also suspect that the show will be worth having to don headnets and lots of bug dope, or maybe steel armor! I won't be around this year, but if anyone is brave enough to go up there with a camera and can get some shots of the heather without too many mosquitoes in the way, I'd love to see them.