Wind (Mountain) Fall(s Creek) Profits - 11 April 2010

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
BigBear

Re: Wind (Mountain) Fall(s Creek) Profits - 11 April 2010

Post by BigBear » April 12th, 2010, 12:16 pm

Yes, the sites on Silver Star near Pyramid Mountain were communicated to me many years ago as being vision quest sites. Likewise, there are sites along Ruckel Creek and near the Mosier Tunnel (which are now blocked by fencing). These areas were introduced to me from a Columbia River Gorge historian, Bus Gibson about 20 years ago.

Although Excursionista isn't disputing my knowledge, I will prpovide a frame of reference. I first hiked Wind Mountain in the 1980s and the trail on the summit followed a different route. The wind forts are made up of stacked rocks with no sign of aging. Indian pits tend to be depressions in the talus stope, not resembling a circular fence as do wind forts.

CherokeeDriver

Post by CherokeeDriver » April 12th, 2010, 1:51 pm

I am the furthest thing from an expert on these matters, and while the posted sign at the summit area of Wind Mountain designates "viewing areas," it doesn't necessarily indicate the scope of them.

However, my take-away from the summit area was that the USFS, at least, wants us to think that the pits and trenches within the talus are, in fact, relics. They are the dark spots on this map, and very close to the viewing areas (yellow fields).

The image below is of two pits, which I think are indicated as being right next to the western viewing area (charted above):

Here are two more pits, at the upper part the eastern talus field:

The USFS map indicates that there are both pits and trenches extending quite a distance down the eastern talus field, which (obviously) would be challenging to photograph, given that treading upon the rocks is prohibited.

For reference, here's one of the pits along the Ruckel Creek Trail:

Again, I won't pretend to be an expert. To my eye, the pits at the summit of Wind Mountain looked very similar to the pits along Ruckel Creek (even though they may have been constructed comparatively recently).

-Robert
Last edited by CherokeeDriver on April 12th, 2010, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » April 12th, 2010, 3:14 pm

youve sold me on wind mtn.... its goin on the list!
Jamey Pyles

CherokeeDriver

Post by CherokeeDriver » April 12th, 2010, 3:45 pm

its goin on the list!
Plan to add another short hike after lunch, Jamey -- I'm sure you'll get to the top of Wind and back down in less than 90 minutes. For you, that'll be just a warm-up. :)

-Robert

Guy

Post by Guy » April 12th, 2010, 4:50 pm

Going from memory here (always bad) but I think the main archeological features on Wind Mt. are not so much the traditional pits but the terracing (or trenching of the whole East facing Talus Slope). You can't really see most of this from the prescribed viewing areas but you can get a view from the side without walking out onto the slope:

Whatever it was for they sure put a lot of work into it, there are several of these terraces.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Roy

Post by Roy » April 12th, 2010, 6:36 pm

I was at Wind yesterday, later in the day same as you looking for some peace. It was a beautiful day.
I will have to check the falls out next time.
Great tr as always :!:
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

CuriousGorgeGuide

Post by CuriousGorgeGuide » April 15th, 2010, 10:03 pm

I've been hiking up Wind Mtn for the past dozen years, but i don't remember any "Bob Kruse" signage, so that must have been before my time. My personal opinion, from examining the pits numerous times and attempting to "compare" them to the ones in Mosier and Catherine creek area vs the "modern" ones atop Chinidere...is that the pits atop Wind right near either of the two viewpoints are at least somewhat modified, if not completely modern. But, much further down ether side's slope there is extensive terracing and mossing-overness, none of which seems modern to my eyes. Making a long row of rocks seems something the Indians did at Mosier and Cath Crk, and doesn't seem to serve a modern purpose.
Thus, i would say that at least some of the pits atop Wind are most likely of Indian origin, but almost definitely not the top bunch that seem to change a bit every year.
Thanks for the great thread and all the input--it's fun to stir things around a bit and get some old-time perspective that is often hard to come by!
Scott