Forest Park: Germantown to Newberry Rd RT 3-27-10

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
markesc

Forest Park: Germantown to Newberry Rd RT 3-27-10

Post by markesc » March 27th, 2010, 8:05 pm

So it's 11.16 miles round trip from Germantown Rd. to Newberry Rd and back.

There was another woodpecker on this hike but he was pretty high up in the tree. If you park off of Germantown, look for the tree that's obviously been pecked away!

Just past firelane 10 in a flat area there's a nice big carpet of Trillium!

See: http://www.artofgeography.com/maps/pdfs ... -gtown.pdf

My favorite section was from firelane 15 to Newberry Rd.... I'd never hiked this before...the trail really narrows and there's some bigger trees and seemingly more dense forest in that section...

Because I kind of didn't get going until about 4:30pm, I didn't take a lot of pictures! Got back to the car around 7:30pm

This is all ya get!!
IMG_8423.jpg

cfm

Re: Forest Park: Germantown to Newberry Rd RT 3-27-10

Post by cfm » March 27th, 2010, 8:33 pm

That's my favorite section of the park. It can be completely deserted on a weekday. I really enjoy adding on loops with Newton Road, the BPA powerline road and Firelane 15.

I know the snag you are referring to, and one time I observed two pileated woodpeckers on it at once!

markesc

Post by markesc » March 27th, 2010, 8:39 pm

cfm wrote:That's my favorite section of the park. It can be completely deserted on a weekday. I really enjoy adding on loops with Newton Road, the BPA powerline road and Firelane 15.

I know the snag you are referring to, and one time I observed two pileated woodpeckers on it at once!
Yeah there are lots of possible loops n such! That's amazing you saw two! Especially right next to the road like that... I didn't expect to see even one.... they are kinda funny creatures though. They peck away, and during the process make funny sounds as if trying to mentally think out loud about the best technique of driving a hole in the damn tree...

markesc

Post by markesc » March 27th, 2010, 9:41 pm

Yay, my photo was just on the news :)