Iron Mountain - 19-jul-08

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
jley

Iron Mountain - 19-jul-08

Post by jley » July 20th, 2008, 9:44 pm

Well, I finally made it down to Iron Mtn... though, technically, I guess I didn't make it "up" to Iron Mtn. I kind of got distracted by the flowers on Cone Peak & ran out of time. This was intended to be an evening hike, so we were racing the sun a bit (and didn't get home till quite late).

Anyway, many people know about the wildflowers on these meadows. It looks to me like the flowers are peaking, and should be pretty good in places for the next couple weeks. There is quite a variety of flower species, and some of the patches are really nice, but the patches aren't that large, and appear to have suffered some degree of "being loved to death" - i.e. I noticed a lot of smaller trampled plants near the trail. There's quite a bit of "dead space" between many of the plants. Part of this is due to the nature of the "soil", which is mostly a pumice base - very dry and porus. But, unfortunately, I think much of it is due to footsteps & people just plopping down for a break where the flowers once grew.

All that said, we only went up the cone peak side, and didn't have time to complete the whole loop up Iron Mt itself. The trail to the top of Iron Mt goes up the side we couldn't see, and I'm not sure what that area looks like exactly.

Well, a few photos are below. More on my site at:
http://www.phlumf.com/photos/ironmtn/

In the woods near the meadows:

About as nice as the display there was:

A view to the southwest:

Also, the Sullivan book (at least the version I have) will suggest you to park at milepost 46 on the road, but you can't park there now (there isn't much room there anyway). You have to park about .6 miles back at the trailhead, and walk below the road on a side-trail to get to the "milepost 46" location. It's no big deal...

Jewelle

Re: Iron Mountain - 19-jul-08

Post by Jewelle » July 20th, 2008, 10:06 pm

Hey, looks like you had a good day like I did out this way. Did you run into any snow? This is on my list of hikes to do.

jley

Re: Iron Mountain - 19-jul-08

Post by jley » July 21st, 2008, 11:18 am

Jewelle wrote:Hey, looks like you had a good day like I did out this way. Did you run into any snow? This is on my list of hikes to do.
There were some teeny snowbanks near the trailhead (not really worth mentioning), but that was it.