Silver Star

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
daniel

Silver Star

Post by daniel » July 17th, 2008, 8:49 pm

Hiked Silver Star Mountain today from Grouse Vista Trailhead on FS Road-1200. No snow to speak of, brilliant wildflower display the whole way up, and clear views of Ranier down to 3 Sisters. Spring at the intersection with the Sturgeon Rock Trail was flowing well (no suprise there!). Excellent option while the taller mountains are thawing out.

jeffstatt

Re: Silver Star

Post by jeffstatt » July 18th, 2008, 2:11 pm

Thanks for the update. I had the sense that it was all melted out. How is the culvert construction coming along on the road up to the trailhead?
Any photos you'd like to share?

daniel

Post by daniel » July 23rd, 2008, 10:35 am

sorry, no photos. the road is rougher in spots than it has been in the past, but certainly passable by sedan. the culvert section is pretty ugly and will probably be quite muddy after any significant rain, but was dry and fine when i went through.

-daniel

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » July 23rd, 2008, 3:36 pm

I hiked up from the northern trailhead today. If you're thinking of catching the flower show on Silver Star, go NOW!

Everything was blooming: early spring wildflowers, summer wildflowers, you name it. Lupine, paintbrush, golden pea, mariposa lily, avalanche lily, tiger lily, gentian, salmonberry, harebells, serviceberry, roses, vetch, bleeding hearts, columbine, trillium, penstemon, asters...

There's still a bit of snow on the trail in the woods near the summit; but in the open areas, both Ed's Trail and the main trail were clear.

My only complaint: I was basically IN the clouds the entire time. I rarely saw further than 100 meters in any direction! (I was going to hike out on the ridge to the top of Star Creek Valley, but didn't bother because of the lack of views.)

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » July 23rd, 2008, 4:48 pm

Photo from today:

AlexanderSupertramp

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » July 23rd, 2008, 5:25 pm

Wow Adam, that looks great. How did your little car handle the road?

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » July 23rd, 2008, 7:15 pm

AlexanderSupertramp wrote:Wow Adam, that looks great. How did your little car handle the road?
It was fine. Only scraped the ground a couple of times, on big ruts/channels that couldn't be avoided... but no worse than when I go down a steep driveway. (I posted about it in the Q&A section, in the thread entitled "Silver Star south TH road conditions.")

I think the USFS saying "high-clearance vehicles recommended" is unnecessary. The potholes will hurt no matter how much clearance you have; you just have to navigate carefully.

tjolson81

Post by tjolson81 » July 26th, 2008, 8:56 pm

Decided to give this a shot today. Took off from Grouse Vista and headed up the trail. Flowers are still in full bloom but maybe starting to fade a little. Be on the lookout for snakes though, I easily saw half a dozen.

chukarguy

Post by chukarguy » July 27th, 2008, 5:58 pm

My son and I, as well as other family, went up yesterday and really appreciated the wildflowers. We went up the Silverstar trail and came down Ed's Trail. We especially loved the adventure of Ed's Trail with it's challenges. A great way to spend a day.