Kings Mtn (East Ridge) 08-Feb-2010

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Peder

Re: Kings Mtn (East Ridge) 08-Feb-2010

Post by Peder » November 6th, 2010, 12:32 pm

mayhem wrote:What time did you leave the TH? I was just starting Elk mnt around 9:30 Finished The loop around 12:45
So you did the Kings-Elk loop in 3h15m??? That is less than half the time that I use on that loop! I must admit that I hung out for a while on the East Ridge enjoying my lunch, the sunshine and the view. I took a total of 4h30m on my much smaller loop. You must be fit as a butcher's dog...
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

mayhem

Post by mayhem » November 6th, 2010, 3:42 pm

Peder wrote:
mayhem wrote:What time did you leave the TH? I was just starting Elk mnt around 9:30 Finished The loop around 12:45
So you did the Kings-Elk loop in 3h15m??? That is less than half the time that I use on that loop! I must admit that I hung out for a while on the East Ridge enjoying my lunch, the sunshine and the view. I took a total of 4h30m on my much smaller loop. You must be fit as a butcher's dog...
Ummm....no I wish, add 1 hour to that. I started at Kings 8:30 got to Elk at 9:30
My best is just a tick under 4hrs.
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

DennisTheMenace

Post by DennisTheMenace » November 6th, 2010, 10:24 pm

One of these days I want to try that east ridge.

Mayhem have you tried the East Ridge yet?

mayhem

Post by mayhem » November 6th, 2010, 10:33 pm

DennisTheMenace wrote:One of these days I want to try that east ridge.

Mayhem have you tried the East Ridge yet?
Nope! I have not done the East Ridge nor the South east Ridge :) I will need to scope both of them a little bit at a time, because If it is much worse than Elk mnt It might not be good for me :) I would not have problems going up but if I needed to go down might body might not let me :)

mayhem

Post by mayhem » January 5th, 2011, 11:50 pm

Eric Peterson wrote:Hey Mayham, yeah, that's where the South East Ridge trail starts out at.

EDIT - Actually I may have misspoke, is that the bigger bridge that's next to
the old access road? Or the smaller bridge that's near that swampy area?

The East Ridge trail is a bit further east, towards Portland, from there.

http://mazamas.org/pdf/maps/Elk-Kings.pdf

I have to say the East Ridge trail is a lot easier to stay on, once you find it, and
it aint easy to find. SE Ridge is more of a free for all with really no determined
trail and you pop out on the top of Kings at about the 3k' level...
Eric,
You have done the Kings Jr & the Coronary Ridge? I found something interesting on the Wilson river trail that seems differnet than your reports on the Kings JR & the Coronary Ridge. Or is this the trail you took? I took a picture and placed a waypoint on what I think is the Kings Jr trail that matchs up on the Wilson river trail. I know where the Kings Jr trail starts near the Kings Trail but this is the first time I noticed this other trail. What do you think?

Trail to the left appears to be the other Kings Jr Connection trail

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » January 6th, 2011, 7:17 am

Eric,
You have done the Kings Jr & the Coronary Ridge? I found something interesting on the Wilson river trail that seems differnet than your reports on the Kings JR & the Coronary Ridge. Or is this the trail you took? I took a picture and placed a waypoint on what I think is the Kings Jr trail that matchs up on the Wilson river trail. I know where the Kings Jr trail starts near the Kings Trail but this is the first time I noticed this other trail. What do you think?
Hey Mayhem, not sure. But that looks like the little Kings loop that I also tried to do, there is a TR for that
one too somewhere. The Kings JR. from Wilson is just a little bit further up from this spot and I ribboned it.
It does seem like the little Kings to Wilson junction was a lot wider though, if you have Afoot & Afield Portland
edition there is a nice write up for a lot of the Kings area hikes.

DennisTheMenace

Post by DennisTheMenace » January 6th, 2011, 2:38 pm

I did Kings JR and then to Kings almost 3 years ago. As I recall there
is indeed a ribbon that marks it.

Actually check this description out
Alternatively, you could also stay on the well maintained Wilson River Trail and follow it to the same point. Shortly after this junction, It will be obvious you are at the base of a ridge and there will be an overabundance of blue blazes on the trees and a steep trail heading up the ridge to the right.

Follow the steep path on the right, which shoots straight up the ridge and (as of July 2009) is marked with orange flagging. This route has also been known as the Bun Buster Trail or Coronary Ridge. This path leaves the Wilson River Trail just before a tree marked BB and one marked C-ASS in blue paint. This path steeply ascends to the summit ridge, and may be difficult in wet conditions. It is approximately 0.2 miles from the trail to the summit of 'Kings Mountain Junior' (2190 ft).
http://www.summitpost.org/kings-mountai ... oop/182615

while part of that Ridge is steep it certainly isn't even close to the same class
that the trail up to Elk Mountain is(not nearly as long for one). As I recall
the trail from Kings Jr back to the Kings Mountain trail is not well marked
at all.

mayhem

Post by mayhem » January 23rd, 2011, 8:34 pm

DennisTheMenace wrote:I did Kings JR and then to Kings almost 3 years ago. As I recall there
is indeed a ribbon that marks it.

Actually check this description out
Alternatively, you could also stay on the well maintained Wilson River Trail and follow it to the same point. Shortly after this junction, It will be obvious you are at the base of a ridge and there will be an overabundance of blue blazes on the trees and a steep trail heading up the ridge to the right.

Follow the steep path on the right, which shoots straight up the ridge and (as of July 2009) is marked with orange flagging. This route has also been known as the Bun Buster Trail or Coronary Ridge. This path leaves the Wilson River Trail just before a tree marked BB and one marked C-ASS in blue paint. This path steeply ascends to the summit ridge, and may be difficult in wet conditions. It is approximately 0.2 miles from the trail to the summit of 'Kings Mountain Junior' (2190 ft).
http://www.summitpost.org/kings-mountai ... oop/182615

while part of that Ridge is steep it certainly isn't even close to the same class
that the trail up to Elk Mountain is(not nearly as long for one). As I recall
the trail from Kings Jr back to the Kings Mountain trail is not well marked
at all.
I found the trails today & ran into DenaceTheMenace. 1/23/10 I have passed these many times, but never really noticed them before not sure why. You can see the Yellow Dots, Blue arrows and the C-ASS & BB markings Finally. Wheeeee!! The only problem is my GPS Motion X is not letting me look at all the data. Hopefully The bug will be fixed soon. 2 days in a row to celebrate :) The Trail that I thought was the location is about half mile east of these markings. These are the Markers to look for..Look very close.