Benson Plateau via Ruckle Ck and PCT

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Benson Plateau via Ruckle Ck and PCT

Post by drm » January 23rd, 2010, 9:12 pm

I did a loop today via Ruckle Ridge, Benson Way, PCT and back to Eagle Creek on the 400. About 17 miles I think.

Like many Gorge trails, you cross these very mossy rocky areas many times.
bp 12310 1.JPG
bp 12310 5.JPG
There is a good rest and view point at almost exactly 2000 feet up, according to my GPS. There were some classic off-season views back down to the Columbia.
bp 12310 2.JPG
bp 12310 3.JPG
bp 12310 4.JPG
I had heard on the news that they might get a little snow up there and I just expected a dusting, but it was more than that. Snow started about 3000 feet and I thought if it kept getting thicker, there might be a bit much for me to tramp across to the PCT since I only brought lighter boots. But there was only an inch or two on top.
bp 12310 6.JPG
bp 12310 7.JPG
bp 12310 8.JPG
When I got to Hunters Camp, there were plenty of people tracks and it seemed that somebody had camped there. But there were no tracks either on Ruckle Creek or the PCT from them. They must have come down from Wahtum or somewhere else above. Those places drivable now?
Last edited by drm on January 24th, 2010, 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

meana39

Re: Benson Plateau via Ruckle Ck and PCT

Post by meana39 » January 24th, 2010, 8:09 am

Beautiful photos, I especially like the misty view of the Bridge of the Gods. The snowy paths through the trees look so peaceful. 17 miles! wow, my days of those long of hikes I think are over, but I'm glad someone can do it and share the photos!

Lori
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir

northridge

Post by northridge » January 24th, 2010, 9:06 am

We came up Ruckel Ridge yesterday. Upon reaching the Ruckel Creek trail we saw a single set of tracks in the snow, must have been you! Beautiful day out there. Ruckel Ridge is in great shape, although the rocky sections were slick and required caution.

cascadehiker

Post by cascadehiker » January 24th, 2010, 3:03 pm

northridge- are you the NY/FL couple that came up and down Ruckle? And drm- which direction did you go? I did the loop starting at Eagle Creek, up to the plateau and down Ruckle but I didn't see your tracks. What a day in the gorge, eh?!
"Man who catch fly with chopstick accomplish anything" - Mr Miyagi

northridge

Post by northridge » January 24th, 2010, 8:52 pm

Cascadehiker, not us you saw...We came up Ruckel Ridge and descended Ruckel creek trail, only ran into one other person lower down on the Ruckel Creek trail. Sure was a great day, even with the snow bombs coming from the trees on the way up to the Benson.

J_W_Speed

Post by J_W_Speed » January 25th, 2010, 8:18 am

Man, I just realized I have to wait until the weekend to wander and your fantastic TR, along with the stunning pics, are not helping matters... ;)

In my snowshoe trips to Whatum, I have seen some pretty mean tire tracks (44s?) nearly making to the lake in several feet of crazy snow. If course, then snowmobile tracks on the lakes frozen surface.
Always Dreaming of the Trail
http://www.johnathanwhite.com