Nesmith Point 22-Jan-10

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
ErinL

Re: Nesmith Point 22-Jan-10

Post by ErinL » January 25th, 2010, 8:24 am

Great trip report. I can't believe that there wasn't any snow up there. I feel like I'm looking at pictures from this summer.

Also, there's some great information and pictures here about Nesmith's former "look". Thanks Tom!

Marmot - I agree that Nesmith doesn't have the greatest view. However, for some inexplicable reason this is one of my favorite hikes. I think it's because there are a few distinct "zones" that keep me from being too occupied with the climb, i.e. flat forest area, steep forest area, basalt rockslide areas, don't get taken alive by the devil's club areas, beautiful cedar amphitheatre area, etc.

J_W_Speed

Post by J_W_Speed » January 25th, 2010, 8:31 am

Stunning Van Marmot! I especially love the depth in the layers heading all the way back to Adams. Great TR!
Always Dreaming of the Trail
http://www.johnathanwhite.com

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » January 25th, 2010, 11:38 am

J_W_Speed wrote:Stunning Van Marmot! I especially love the depth in the layers heading all the way back to Adams. Great TR!
Thanks! The geology & historical context is also much appreciated. It never occurred to me to see Nesmith as a volcano. And I also always thought of the lookout on Nesmith as being on legs and not as a building with a tower.

J_W_Speed

Post by J_W_Speed » January 25th, 2010, 12:14 pm

Indeed, the geology really overwhelms me in the Gorge. From near-rain forests, to volcanic remnants under foot, to strange non-volcanic rock formations. Makes me wish I took geology in college. I, at least, know that Beacon Rock is a volcanic plug of some sort, but that is the extent of my knowledge... :(
Awesome stuff.
Always Dreaming of the Trail
http://www.johnathanwhite.com