The Deschutes River Trail 1/16/10

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
ErinL

The Deschutes River Trail 1/16/10

Post by ErinL » January 17th, 2010, 9:27 pm

There are a lot of reasons that the Deschutes River Trail is a fabulous winter option for hikers:

1.) Options abound. There is a lower trail that goes right along the river, a middle trail affording various close up and higher views of the Deschutes, and a flat trail that follows the railroad grade slightly above the river. There's also the option to do a loop up into the hills for great views.
2.) Because of the number of easy, flat trails, this is a good winter trail for those of us mending from injury, or trying to get back in shape after one too many weekends on the couch during the weeks of waning daylight. Or both, as the case may be. Ahem. I'll say no more!
3.) There aren't many users on the trail, in the river, or at the campground to contend with for solitude.
4.) The air is dry and clear, the trails aren't muddy (usually), and you don't have to worry about tics quite yet.

Matt and I started on the lower trail that meanders to and from the river's edge. It is an easy, mostly flat trail. There is some up and down when you hit the area near Rattlesnake Rapids. It's also easy near this spot to lose the trail, and end up in a little rock scramble back to the real trail (ask how I know). On the way back, we hit both the flat road "trail" and the middle trail.

This is a beautiful area. The miles go by both slowly and quickly. They go by slowly because you find yourself stopping frequently to take in the scenery and the winter colors. They go by quickly because you find yourself wondering what is around the next bend. The next thing you know, you have gone around a few bends, traveled many miles further than you intended, and realized that the sun is setting on you.

Winter color.

The lower trail.

Winter color along the trail.

anna in boots

Re: The Deschutes River Trail 1/16/10

Post by anna in boots » January 17th, 2010, 9:54 pm

Mmmmmmmm--thanks for the delicious pics, Erin, I was Jonesing for some openness. That's got to be my favorite spot in Oregon. Love the winter colors, so relaxing to the eye and mind.

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

AlexanderSupertramp

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » January 17th, 2010, 10:40 pm

Great report Erin. I haven't been there yet, but you've bumped it up on the must do list. I really like your take on how things go by slowly but quickly. I've always noticed that trend on things that I particularly enjoy, be it a hike, or a year, or a decade :D.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 18th, 2010, 8:45 am

I was up there at the same time.

1/14 I walked up 8 miles and camped overnight.

Nice views of the river as you go along:
017.JPG
The next morning I had left the valve on my canister stove open slightly so I had no fuel, bummer:
026.JPG
So I went back to the state park, where I had another fuel canister.

1/16 I walked up the other side of the river. There's a well marked trailhead and parking area. After about a mile degenerated so I turned around, but it would be easy to continue for miles, based on looking at it from the other side.

Then I walked up the lower trail, then the middle trail and back on the upper trail. I must have passed you.

It rained a couple times over night, and sprinkled a bit during the day a couple times but not enough to make much difference. I heard it rained a lot in Portland. This is a good reason for going here when it's wet on the West side. When you get to Hood River it's raining less, The Dalles it's barely sprinkling, the Deschutes there is patchy sun.

ErinL

Post by ErinL » January 18th, 2010, 12:55 pm

Hey Jerry, I bet we did run into each other on the trail. Also, with regards to the other side of the river, I watched a couple of fishermen on the other side of the river while I ate my lunch. I saw them leave their fishing spots and they just walked along the railroad back to the parking lot/boat launch.

And, just in case anyone needs another reason to get out to this end of the Gorge, the Maryhill Museum of Art (http://www.maryhillmuseum.org/home.html) is a great place to go on the Washington side. They have a fascinating mix of things to see in their permanent collection, and have excellent traveling exhibits. They also have some peacocks and hens that roam the hillside. I had a moment of cognitive dissonance when I saw this:

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » January 18th, 2010, 2:59 pm

Gee... first they canned Conan, and NOW the peacock, too..?? It's really coming apart over there at NBC..! I hope the peacock was offered a decent severance package (lifetime supply of bird seed, portable mirror to look in, etc.)

:D

ErinL

Post by ErinL » January 19th, 2010, 9:39 am

Splintercat wrote:Gee... first they canned Conan, and NOW the peacock, too..?? It's really coming apart over there at NBC..! I hope the peacock was offered a decent severance package (lifetime supply of bird seed, portable mirror to look in, etc.)
:lol: