1_17_10 Elk Mnt to Jones Creek To Elk Mnt

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mayhem

1_17_10 Elk Mnt to Jones Creek To Elk Mnt

Post by mayhem » January 17th, 2010, 6:45 pm

It was a great day to be on the trail going out but on the way back it was raining making for some sloppy trails. I used this link for my guide. http://www.oregon.gov/ODF/TSF/docs/09do ... kJones.pdf

I started out early 7:40am....40 minutes later than I planned. I knew it was going to be a challenge to get back around sunset. The trail was in decent shape most of the way, 22 Miles :) My legs are a bit sore.

Elk entrance was closed, so, I just parked at the gate off Highway 6.

Elk START near gate. There were so many water crossings I lost count

Not a water crossing...this was part of the trail for a few hundred feet
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

romann

Re: 1_17_10 Elk Mnt to Jones Creek To Elk Mnt

Post by romann » January 17th, 2010, 11:20 pm

It was very wet in Columbia Gorge today as well... But still better than not hiking at all. Also, I got surprised that it's not hard to stay warm even if completely wet - the key is to keep moving.

BaileyBoy

Post by BaileyBoy » January 19th, 2010, 2:49 pm

You are clearly a coastal beast since I've read your posts on Elk and King Mountain - wow that's a lot of miles during these short days. Looks like a lovely trip, though, and I'm thinking I'll take my dog Bailey when he has totally healed and is back in shape.
Are there bridges at all the serious crossings or just logs?
I see the trail crosses roads a few times but I'd assume they're pretty lightly used.
Nice photos and I enjoy reading your posts especially when it covers ground I haven't like this one.

Skip

J_W_Speed

Post by J_W_Speed » January 19th, 2010, 2:58 pm

The Pictures really get my curiosity about his hike! Great Trip Report!
Always Dreaming of the Trail
http://www.johnathanwhite.com

mayhem

Post by mayhem » January 19th, 2010, 7:54 pm

BaileyBoy wrote:You are clearly a coastal beast since I've read your posts on Elk and King Mountain - wow that's a lot of miles during these short days. Looks like a lovely trip, though, and I'm thinking I'll take my dog Bailey when he has totally healed and is back in shape.
Are there bridges at all the serious crossings or just logs?
I see the trail crosses roads a few times but I'd assume they're pretty lightly used.
Nice photos and I enjoy reading your posts especially when it covers ground I haven't like this one.

Skip
There were three or four spots that I got my feet really wet. The other serious crossings had good log or bridge crossings. Nothing dangerous in my opinion. I also do not recommend Mountain Gear Gaitors :(
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!