Feelin' the Love at the Labyrinth 1-10-10

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
anna in boots

Feelin' the Love at the Labyrinth 1-10-10

Post by anna in boots » January 15th, 2010, 2:22 pm

I've done Catherine Creek so many times, I can find my way to the arch blindfolded and I've been up Coyote Wall so often, the turkey vultures know me by name. The only thing left to do was the Labyrinth. It's been given an ominous name but it's a friendly place.
PHLabyrinth1.jpg
Unlike the above parks which start in the open and funnel you into gradually narrowing topography, the Labyrinth begins in medias res where the lava cliffs crowd the oaks. Each turn in the trail reveals a new room furnished with sculpted trees, soft carpets of grass, and regal walls of columnar basalt. And what is a room without a water feature?
PHLabyrinth2.jpg
The busy cataracts of Labyrinth Falls have a lighter timbre than the usual Gorge fare: instead of the thundering bass drum of Multnomah Falls, you get a delightful liquid xylophone. And the water is always glad to see you.
PHLabyrinth16.jpg
Hike a little higher and the land opens up. Individual oaks are framed like massive Bonsai against the sky.
PHLabyrinth5.jpg
And the grass is happy to see you, too.
PHLabyrinth4.jpg
Higher means colder and the ground just oozes with dirt-sicles wherever a drainage suddenly appears on the side of the hill.
PHLabyrinth6.jpg
From a distance, they seem plain enough, but inside....
PHLabyrinth8.jpg
PHLabyrinth7.jpg
It's like Superman's Fortress of Solitude on a ladybug scale.
PHLabyrinth9.jpg
PHLabyrinth10.jpg
And the rock was happy to see me.
PHLabyrinth3.jpg
Higher elevations added snow. Even it was happy! (Or maybe the deer were. It's all good.)
PHLabyrinth14.jpg
I love the fields above Coyote Wall. Now, a wet savannah; come spring, a pink Grass Widow avalanche.
PHLabyrinth15.jpg
The cliffs were vultureless but a few Bald Eagles were trying out the air currents that chilly day. My favorite lunch spot for communing with the winged peoples:
PHLabyrinth12.jpg
From here, you can remember where you parked. Hmm, we were the only vehicle down there this morning....
PHLabyrinth11.jpg
All in all, a good day! I brought a great mood with me and met a whole pile of happy, friendly, chatty people as I went. Hey, you get what you focus on.

Still feelin' the love of that place.

anna in boots
Last edited by anna in boots on January 16th, 2010, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

romann

Re: Feelin' the Love at the Labyrinth 1-10-10

Post by romann » January 15th, 2010, 6:30 pm

Thanks for great report and pictures, it's one of my favorite places. The other option to hike the Labyrinth is to start at Catherine Creek TH but immediately turn left (west). Maze of trails and abandoned roads and cliffs, very interesting place.

Jane

Post by Jane » January 15th, 2010, 10:49 pm

An oft-visited area for me as well, but you captured some sweet little gems, love all the "smiles" and "hearts" that you found, or found you ;)
Thanks for the fun read and pics!

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » January 16th, 2010, 12:46 am

Looks like you had a hearty hike. Thanks for sharing the report and the pics.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

yosemite hiker

Post by yosemite hiker » January 16th, 2010, 5:51 am

Nice, AiB! Looks like a great escape. (Now there's a clasic movie!)

drm

Post by drm » January 16th, 2010, 8:12 am

This area gets so popular in the spring when the flowers come out, but it seems much more remote now. Just you and the wind - and all those smiling locals.

AlexanderSupertramp

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » January 16th, 2010, 11:09 am

Beauty Anna, you need to take me there sometime. I really dig those close up ice pics.

meana39

Post by meana39 » January 16th, 2010, 12:53 pm

Really cool photos...you make it sound like a magical place...it's now on my list of places to check out! Thanks!
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » January 17th, 2010, 9:31 am

Thanks, all. I favor the Washington side of the Gorge in the cool, wet winter. The open topography and paler colors lighten my view and my mood after a week or two of shuffling outside my Portland office to check the rain gauge for the umpteenth time.

anna in waders

PS: On the other hand, my camellia is beginning to bloom again, so hope is on the way.
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » January 17th, 2010, 10:34 am

Love those cliff shots, Anna -- especially the second from the last. When I come back, it will be as a raptor... but I'm willing to be a turkey vulture if there's a waiting list for the prime raptor slots. :D

(witch hazel blooming outside our front window -- spring is near!)

Tom :)