Wyeth trail #411 7/14/08

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
meana39

Wyeth trail #411 7/14/08

Post by meana39 » July 15th, 2008, 3:07 am

Since the weather was "supposed" to cool down I decided to try a trail I hadn't hiked in over 17 years, the Wyeth trail #411. Unfortunately for me the weather report wasn't as accurate as I would have liked. I started out at the Wyeth campground at 10:00 am by myself as my daughters flaked out on me again! It's a good thing, they would have HATED this hike and would have forced me to stop way earlier.

First I hiked up to Gorton Creek Falls.
gortoncreekfalls.JPG
Then headed up the trail towards the top! I was already hot and wondering why I wasn't home in my nice cool house! My first obstacle was this giant log across the trail.
giantlog.JPG
After this the trail got really STEEP! NWHikers calls this trail "Very Difficult due to the steepness and length of hike" and now I believe them!

I finally came to a flat spot and decided I needed a break! Time for a snack....after this point there was one more steep switchback and then the steepness lessened quite a bit or I would have turned back. About this point I met to women and their dog coming down, the only people I saw all day. So if you want solitude this is the trail for you.

I found a few fleeting views of Mount Saint Helens through the trees....
helensview.JPG
and then the final viewpoint before I turned around from exhaustion...
lastview.JPG
I thought I was in better shape than this, perhaps it was the constant heat, and with all the trees, what breeze there was didn't reach me. It took me 3 1/2 hours to hike the 2.9 miles to that last viewpoint, including two rest/lunch stops, and then 2 hours to hike back down, if that's any indication of how steep it was. Looking on Nwhiker at their photos it looks like there are some pretty great views up top, but I think I'd rather do Mount Defiance next time....although I haven't done that trail in about 17 years either.
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir

joerunner

Re: Wyeth trail #411 7/14/08

Post by joerunner » July 15th, 2008, 5:57 am

Nice workout! I really like that trail. Next time if you can make it to North lake it is really worth the trip. I used that trail to get up to Defiance last year and on the way up you get these teaser views of the peak of Defiance that look pretty daunting.

AlexanderSupertramp

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » July 15th, 2008, 7:51 am

We must have just missed you! The girls and I were on our way to upper Gorton Creek Falls around 11:00 am. Judging by the shadows on your picture of the lower falls (which look almost identical to our photos of it), we didn't miss you by much. Maybe we'll catch you next time :D

Adam

Paul

Post by Paul » July 15th, 2008, 9:20 am

I got turned around up there on top of Gorton Platuea over the 4th and started to come down the Wyeth trail instead of Gorton Creek, and MAN! that is a steep trail. If it wasn't for the blazes I would have though it a well-used game trail.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
- Will Rogers

meana39

Post by meana39 » July 15th, 2008, 11:45 am

AlexanderSupertramp wrote:We must have just missed you! The girls and I were on our way to upper Gorton Creek Falls around 11:00 am.
Adam
I was at the falls about 10:15 or so....so YES we did almost cross paths. It's such a lovely falls area too, I've lived in the gorge most of my life, Cascade Locks for about 3 years and had never seen or even heard of it! Maybe next time we'll "run" into each other. Mine was the "lovely" purple car I'm never afraid to leave at a trailhead!
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir

meana39

Post by meana39 » July 15th, 2008, 11:46 am

Paul wrote:I got turned around up there on top of Gorton Platuea over the 4th and started to come down the Wyeth trail instead of Gorton Creek, and MAN! that is a steep trail. If it wasn't for the blazes I would have though it a well-used game trail.
I'm glad someone else thinks it's steep...I know I'm not in the greatest shape, but wow that trail really kicked my #$%!!! I suppose it couldn't have helped that the temperature was in the 90's either??