Chinidere Mountain - Road Blocked - 7/13/08

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
justpeachy

Chinidere Mountain - Road Blocked - 7/13/08

Post by justpeachy » July 14th, 2008, 6:42 pm

Greg and I attempted to do the Chinidere Mountain hike yesterday. If we had thought to check the Mt. Hood National Forest website for road conditions, we might have saved ourselves some trouble. We were thinking that if anything would thwart our hike, it would be snow on the trail. But the Chinidere trail status on the FS site was last updated in August 2006 (two years????). We were so concerned about the trail status, we didn't think to check the road status. Sigh.

According to the website, Road 1310 is closed shortly after the junction with 1311, which isn't really true. Yes, they have "Road Closed" signs there, but you can drive another few miles. You can see the work they've already done on the road, because we passed at least four areas where there had clearly been dirt/mud and rock slides this winter. They haven't quite finished yet, though. Right after the final crossing of Divers Creek, still a few miles from the trailhead, there's a big ol' tree across the road.

I was carsick, so I got out to stretch my legs and inspect the tree. Someone had been sawing away at it, and there was a butter knife sticking out of the cut, which was pretty funny.

They may have this all cleared up by next weekend, but check the FS website before you go to make sure!

We headed over to Lost Lake to attempt the butte, but ran into snow there (see trip report).

fettster

Re: Chinidere Mountain - Road Blocked - 7/13/08

Post by fettster » July 15th, 2008, 7:11 am

Hehe, that knife is a nice touch! Wonder if they brought that just for that stunt?

Grannyhiker

Re: Chinidere Mountain - Road Blocked - 7/13/08

Post by Grannyhiker » July 15th, 2008, 11:10 am

Maybe the knife is to hold the crack open so they can re-insert the saw on their next trip? I've seen this done with chips and thin wedges, but never with a butter knife!