Cast Creek to East Zigzag Mtn 6/14/08

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bush_marmot

Post by bush_marmot » June 17th, 2008, 11:02 pm

The new/repaired bridge over the Sandy River off Lolo Pass Road looks like an ‘Erector Set’ add-on... but it works.
The Gate is open; Old Maid Flats beckons. No snow at Cast Creek #773 trailhead (2200’); time to head for the high country.

Mt Hood and East Zigzag Mtn from Cast Creek Ridge

The trail, mostly in deep timber, was easy to follow until about 3600’, when scattered snow patches abruptly became solid snow, which soon was several feet deep. The trailbed became hard to follow. We managed to stay on route until a long traverse a few hundred feet below the ridgetop, where we made the (ever-popular) mistake of traversing too high. As there was no NEW snow this low (4000’), we found ourselves rather suddenly “between a rock & a hard place”: traversing on steep, hard, uneven snow (in the shade) with cliffs above... trees and rocks below. Nothing soft anywhere in sight. I was wishing I’d brought my ice ax for self-belay... we made do with poles and our fingers.

At a break in the cliffs we decided to head straight up, and somewhere between Tarzan of the Jungle and Nanook of the North, we made it to the ridgetop. Much easier going here: fewer trees, a gentler slope, softer snow; just the occasional crag on the crest to scramble over or traverse around. Nice!

From here the route is easy to follow, mostly on the ridgetop in open timber and open snow ‘meadows’ to the Zigzag Mtn ridge trail (#775).
There was enough new snow here (4500’ - 5000') to be fun, but not need snowshoes:
Zigzag_Mtn_Ridge.jpg

There is more snow on the summit of East Zigzag Mtn now (6/14/08):

than there was in late December 2004! (note snow depth on rocks)

From the summit we could see Mt Hood (with a nice view of Leuthold Couloir):

Mississippi Head:

Mt Adams and far-off Mt Rainier (and me):

Mt St Helens:

Mt Jefferson:
(Ollalie Butte on left, Three-Fingered Jack on right, hints of farther-South Cascades on right)

Zigzag Mtn (looking West):

Burnt Lake (not quite ready for swimming):

On the return (about 2500’), we found this artifact - right in the middle of the trail! -
- that had definitely NOT been there on the way up. A small deer leg, very well-chewed:
Deer_Leg_Bones.jpg

I think we’re in the wilderness now, Toto!
-Peter
:!:
Last edited by bush_marmot on December 5th, 2008, 10:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.

justpeachy

Re: Cast Creek to East Zigzag Mtn 6/14/08

Post by justpeachy » June 18th, 2008, 7:05 am

I haven't figured out how to post flickr photos here yet. But in the meantime you might want to check your permission settings over on flickr. Right now when I click any of the flickr links in your post, it tells me "You don't have permission to view this photo."

Stevefromdodge

Post by Stevefromdodge » June 18th, 2008, 7:06 am

It looks like all of your photos are private. That might be the problem.

The image tag is really pretty straightforward. "[img]http://URL to your pic here.jpg[/img]"

Make sure that you're linking to the picture itself, likely a .jpg and not the flickr page that the poicture is dispalyed on.
Last edited by Stevefromdodge on June 18th, 2008, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

fettster

Post by fettster » June 18th, 2008, 7:25 am

Yes, please fix your flikr permissions if you can. I'm curious to compare against the trip I took up to EZZ in late April. That must have been disconcerting seeing the deer leg.

bush_marmot

Post by bush_marmot » June 18th, 2008, 9:27 am

Thank you Cheryl, Steve, and (Mr? Ms?) fettster for the photo ideas. I'll check that.

And, no, it wasn't disconcerting to see the deer leg (bones). In fact it was exciting to see such vivid evidence of life-and-death in the wilderness so close to us in space/time - right where we had walked just a few hours earlier! It made it seem more *real*, less like a human-controlled environment. I hope it wasn't/isn't disconcerting to viewers (maybe I should leave that photo as a 'click-on link'?) - I did consider (at length) whether it was appropriate for a "family-friendly site", and decided that it was. Opinions, anyone? It's not 'gratuitous violence'... it's a 'fact of life'... part of Nature. Eh?
-Peter
:!:

bush_marmot

Post by bush_marmot » June 18th, 2008, 11:44 am

Thank you Steve - that was precisely the problem (in addition to fixing the permissions) with viewing the pictures:

"Make sure that you're linking to the picture itself, likely a .jpg and not the flickr page that the picture is dispalyed on."

Simple Solution:
On the flickr page showing the photo I want to link here:
Right-click on the image to "View Image", and use THAT url to insert into the PortlandHikers .

Cheers,
Peter
:D